Incentives on 2020

What are the inventives on 2020s? Still $20k? How were dealers able to sell 2019s at prices that appear to be significantly lower than invoice less incentives?

Yes, still $20k.

And they can sell them for whatever price they want. Any dealer that still has a 2019 on the lot has been paying a lot in taxes, not to mention the amount of money that has been tied up since they got it. Some dealerships are probably ready to cut their losses (although I didn't find any when I was looking a couple of months ago, which is why I just ordered a new one spec'd the way I wanted it).

Yes, I understand that dealers can sell any car for whatever price they want. I was hoping for more specifics about the tools that dealers have to work with. My understanding is that dealers receive rebate vouchers (or something like that) that can be used at the dealer's discretion on any sale. Does anyone know how much each voucher is worth and how many vouchers a dealer might receive (likely dependent on sales volume).

Also, does anyone know what the actual margin is on an NSX? Is it a flat percentage across all Acuras?

TIA.

Yes, I understand that dealers can sell any car for whatever price they want. I was hoping for more specifics about the tools that dealers have to work with. My understanding is that dealers receive rebate vouchers (or something like that) that can be used at the dealer's discretion on any sale. Does anyone know how much each voucher is worth and how many vouchers a dealer might receive (likely dependent on sales volume).

Also, does anyone know what the actual margin is on an NSX? Is it a flat percentage across all Acuras?

TIA.

One could kidnap the owner’s family and hold them hostage for the best price? Or you can do some research and determine what a fair price is. I get you are trying to get the best deal you can. But really how would you feel as a dealer? They are trying to run a business and earn a living while also employing others. If you can’t afford the car find something more affordable. People are barely keeping their businesses afloat. People are dying left and right of CoVid-19. Karma works both ways.

are you asking him to call his cousin Eddie?

One could kidnap the owner’s family and hold them hostage for the best price? Or you can do some research and determine what a fair price is. I get you are trying to get the best deal you can. But really how would you feel as a dealer? They are trying to run a business and earn a living while also employing others. If you can’t afford the car find something more affordable. People are barely keeping their businesses afloat. People are dying left and right of CoVid-19. Karma works both ways.
Your response is both presumptious and judgmental. I never said I was trying to get a deal that is not palatable for the selling dealer. I'm just trying to understand what the dealer is working with. I'm happy with the deal that I got when I bought my 2018 even though someone else bought a similarly equipped one for $5k less just a few weeks later. I'm thinking about trading in my 2018 for a 2020 and am just trying to figure out what to expect on a 2020.

Or you can do some research and determine what a fair price is.
My original post is part of my research to determine what a fair price is.

If you can’t afford the car find something more affordable.
Uh. Ok. Thanks for the advice.

But really how would you feel as a dealer? They are trying to run a business and earn a living while also employing others. If you can’t afford the car find something more affordable. People are barely keeping their businesses afloat. People are dying left and right of CoVid-19.
Dealers are having record months both in terms of volume and profits. But that is irrelevant. I have longstanding relationships with several dealers and we've always ended up with deals that both parties can live with.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

The problem with purchasing a vehicle is that you are never going to know whether you got the lowest price. Lets be honest, a lot of people will not tell the truth as to what they actually paid. They might have gotten a low price but paid it back in higher loan fees and interest. Everyone wants to look like they are masters at negotiations. As you noted, you have a long standing relationship with several dealers. That gives you a great starting point. So approach them and let them know what you are thinking. Each dealership has their own overhead and direct expenses. Ordering a new car keeps it somewhat more straight forward. I would recommend you sell your 2018 via private party. Depending on where you live you may be able to sell it on consignment at a Exotic Car Dealership. That will get more of the traffic you are interested in. Realize it may take several months to sell your car. Perhaps you can even sell your car on consignment at the dealership that sells you a new one? As for pricing $20k from the factory and probably around $15k + - from the dealership. Or you could save your money and modify what you already have unless you are not happy with the options it came with or want a different color. The 2017s got severely discounted and I don't believe you will see those prices again. There were not a lot of 2018s sold, nor 2019s. I suspect fewer 2020s will move. My 2017 was a $206k loaded car. I cannot imagine trading it in for a 2018, or 2019, or a 2020. There is just not enough of a difference. I have SOS downpipes, and Eibach sway bars front and rear and it is the perfect color Blue. Tell us why you want a 2020?

The problem with purchasing a vehicle is that you are never going to know whether you got the lowest price. Lets be honest, a lot of people will not tell the truth as to what they actually paid. They might have gotten a low price but paid it back in higher loan fees and interest. Everyone wants to look like they are masters at negotiations. As you noted, you have a long standing relationship with several dealers. That gives you a great starting point. So approach them and let them know what you are thinking. Each dealership has their own overhead and direct expenses. Ordering a new car keeps it somewhat more straight forward. I would recommend you sell your 2018 via private party. Depending on where you live you may be able to sell it on consignment at a Exotic Car Dealership. That will get more of the traffic you are interested in. Realize it may take several months to sell your car. Perhaps you can even sell your car on consignment at the dealership that sells you a new one? As for pricing $20k from the factory and probably around $15k + - from the dealership. Or you could save your money and modify what you already have unless you are not happy with the options it came with or want a different color. The 2017s got severely discounted and I don't believe you will see those prices again. There were not a lot of 2018s sold, nor 2019s. I suspect fewer 2020s will move. My 2017 was a $206k loaded car. I cannot imagine trading it in for a 2018, or 2019, or a 2020. There is just not enough of a difference. I have SOS downpipes, and Eibach sway bars front and rear and it is the perfect color Blue. Tell us why you want a 2020?

maybe explaining your thought process as to why you bought used from an exotic dealer vs new from an Acura store might help him...

The problem with purchasing a vehicle is that you are never going to know whether you got the lowest price. Lets be honest, a lot of people will not tell the truth as to what they actually paid. They might have gotten a low price but paid it back in higher loan fees and interest. Everyone wants to look like they are masters at negotiations. As you noted, you have a long standing relationship with several dealers. That gives you a great starting point. So approach them and let them know what you are thinking.
As previously stated, I'm not trying to get the absolute lowest price possible. But I also don't want to leave $5k on the table if the dealers have extra incentives (conquest, loyalty, discretionary funds provided by Acura, etc) that are being offered to other buyers. The Acura dealer that has sold me the 2018, as well as multiple NSXs since 1997, doesn't have a 2020 in stock.

I would recommend you sell your 2018 via private party. Depending on where you live you may be able to sell it on consignment at a Exotic Car Dealership. That will get more of the traffic you are interested in. Realize it may take several months to sell your car. Perhaps you can even sell your car on consignment at the dealership that sells you a new one?
I don't mind selling cars on my own. However, in my state, you receive a tax credit for trading in a vehicle when buying a vehicle. If I sold my 2018 on my own, I'd have to pay an additional $8500 in taxes on the new one. So I'd prefer to trade it in.

As for pricing $20k from the factory and probably around $15k + - from the dealership. Or you could save your money and modify what you already have unless you are not happy with the options it came with or want a different color. The 2017s got severely discounted and I don't believe you will see those prices again. There were not a lot of 2018s sold, nor 2019s. I suspect fewer 2020s will move. My 2017 was a $206k loaded car. I cannot imagine trading it in for a 2018, or 2019, or a 2020. There is just not enough of a difference. I have SOS downpipes, and Eibach sway bars front and rear and it is the perfect color Blue. Tell us why you want a 2020?

I'd be happy with $20k from factory and $15k from the dealership. That's a greater discount than I got on my 2018. I was interested in a 2020 because I like the yellow color (had a 2004 spa yellow). I don't track so the performance enhancements don't mean a lot to me. I'd prefer not to wrap the car as IMO, wrapping makes the car harder to sell. Given that my primary motivation is simply to change colors, the cost to switch is a major consideration.

Thanks again for your input.

Last edited:
I decided to get the NSX because we (Wife) could not find an all electric car that we liked in time to replace the Chevy Bolt. The conversation turned to hybrid electric vehicles and someone mentioned the NSX. Honestly I had pretty much given up on sport cars. If for no other reason than their limited utility. I guess I must have still had a sweet spot for the NSX. When I began to look around I saw the one that Ilusso had on their showroom floor. I knew that the dealership sold really expensive cars and thought it would be fun to see what they had. They did a great job of taking photos that filled the screen on my computer. I was intrigued and decided to take a look. It was by far the least expensive car in that shop. Everything from a plug in Ferrari to many Lambos and McLarens. It stood out among them all. They (Ilusso) were low pressure and left me alone to look over the car. The NSX was taken in on trade for a 720 McLaren. My sense was they did not know much about the car and just wanted to move it so that they could bring in more expensive cars. I could have easily financed the car had I chosen to. They are use to big loans as some of the cars they have are selling for 2 1/2 million or more. The NSX was like a door stop. I will say, a lot of people stopped and looked, very surprised that this was an Acura. I felt well treated as well as appreciated when shopping at Ilusso.

By the way, I did a search on www.autotrader.com and there are currently six yellow 2020 vehicles listed for sale. I would recommend you consider all of them. They seem to be similar in options. You can negotiate your best price by working with all six. Then go back to the dealers in your neck of the woods and see if they can match or beat the price. You may also want to consider ordering a new car. I have never heard of a State reducing the car tax if you trade your car in. Very interesting.

I decided to get the NSX because we (Wife) could not find an all electric car that we liked in time to replace the Chevy Bolt. The conversation turned to hybrid electric vehicles and someone mentioned the NSX. Honestly I had pretty much given up on sport cars. If for no other reason than their limited utility. I guess I must have still had a sweet spot for the NSX. When I began to look around I saw the one that Ilusso had on their showroom floor. I knew that the dealership sold really expensive cars and thought it would be fun to see what they had. They did a great job of taking photos that filled the screen on my computer. I was intrigued and decided to take a look. It was by far the least expensive car in that shop. Everything from a plug in Ferrari to many Lambos and McLarens. It stood out among them all. They (Ilusso) were low pressure and left me alone to look over the car. The NSX was taken in on trade for a 720 McLaren. My sense was they did not know much about the car and just wanted to move it so that they could bring in more expensive cars. I could have easily financed the car had I chosen to. They are use to big loans as some of the cars they have are selling for 2 1/2 million or more. The NSX was like a door stop. I will say, a lot of people stopped and looked, very surprised that this was an Acura. I felt well treated as well as appreciated when shopping at Ilusso.

I'm curious ..I really don't trust "exotic" car dealers in general...they have many tricks to put lipstick on a pig...I would look then go to a certified dealer for a new car...did you consider shopping at an acura store or was it an impulse buy? Or were you dead set against new?

NJ does this. Instead of paying taxes on the price of the new car, you pay taxes on the price of the new car less the trade-in value.
Georgia does it as well. Pretty sure it's due to industry lobbyists that want to encourage dealer sales and discourage person to person sales.

I'm curious ..I really don't trust "exotic" car dealers in general...they have many tricks to put lipstick on a pig...I would look then go to a certified dealer for a new car...did you consider shopping at an acura store or was it an impulse buy? Or were you dead set against new?

This particular dealership has three locations and consistently receives high marks. None of the 35 plus cars I saw were in anyway beaten up. They were all low mileage cars. No pressure to buy. While my initial look was impulse, I always do my research. While I did not know much about the car I quickly realized that this particular car was loaded. I also knew that not much had changed for 2018 or 2019. I determined the in service date from the car fax report the dealer gave me. So I figured I was covered. I had the car checked by a local Acura dealer and they helped me learn about the previous service done on the car. It took me about three weeks to make it happen and four visits to the dealership. I gave the dealership my credit card and told them to charge $5000 to $10,000. Turns out they did not charge anything. I brought a cashiers check for $130k and paid the tax and lic via check.

Since 2005, the last 8 cars I purchased were all new from dealerships. I saw no benefit in ordering a new NSX as this one rang every bell and whistle.

right place right time!.....

Reducing the basis with a trade-in is the same here in Colorado, and I'm not sure it is a state thing or just the way it works nationwide? I bought my 17' new in Nov of 17' $43K off sticker and figured I'd never have an opportunity to do that ever again so I pulled the trigger. Glad I did. It has been an amazing experience that I never dreamed I would have in life. I feel very fortunate to have had the means and circumstances to do the deal. My father was co-owner of the car with me and this enabled us to title it in an unincorporated part of the county and save thousands of $$ in sales tax. Some fellows go to a service where they buy a square inch of real estate in Montana then can claim they own a car there, and pay no sales tax as there is no sales tax there. I'd be concerned that the IRS would consider that tax evasion, so not sure I'd be willing to do that.

In California the sales tax is based on the price of the car without any reductions due to down payments. It is the same whether the car is used or new. So if you buy a $150,000 car you will then owe based upon the County where you reside. So for us in Santa Barbara it is 9%. If you lease a vehicle then you pay tax based upon the monthly payment. Remember California has a population of around 40,000,000 people. I believe there are at least 29,000,000 cars and trucks registered in the State. Now you know why we have a lot of traffic.

Taxifornia.....

Back