In the market for an earlier model NSX (no more than $27K)...

I figure I can probably find a 91-93 NSX with under 75K miles at this price range. Aside from the normal wear and tear, I'd like to know what kind of things to look for.

If you know any great deals out there, pls let me know.

Thanks

Originally posted by Alternative:
I figure I can probably find a 91-93 NSX with under 75K miles at this price range. Aside from the normal wear and tear, I'd like to know what kind of things to look for.

In that price and mileage range, look for an automatic transmission, a salvage title, and/or rather poor condition.

Not another one.

Thanks

============================================

I figure I can probably find a 95-97 355 with under 75K miles at this price range (50K). Aside from the normal wear and tear, I'd like to know what kind of things to look for.

Thanks

Two weeks ago there was a 91 BLK/IVORY in Atlanta for sale. Guy bought for his wife and she didn't like it. Sounded pretty good. All records, snap ring repaired, timing belt, etc. and 55K miles. He was talking $27.5 as bottom $. Told my neighbor to jump on it, but he left for vacation and still hasn't returned to follow-up. Was listed on Autotrader if I remember correctly.

Steveny,

That's funny - because I almost wrote exactly the same thing. Here's what I typed, before I changed it to my reply above:

I figure I can probably find a new 360 Modena for under $50K.

Obviously, yours was only slightly less unrealistic - but what was funny was that we both thought of a Ferrari, and at the exact same price!

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 28 March 2003).]

If you can increase your budget by another 15-20% (low 30's) you should be able to find a nice, well maintained, ready to go 91 NSX.

The difference between the typical $27k car and the $32k car is a lot and well worth it if you plan on keeping the car for any length of time.

Good luck / you never know but on average the nice/well maintained cars are going for more then your top offer.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Guys, you are not being helpful. He didnt say anything about it needing to be pristine.

Here's one just posted - '91, 50K miles, $27.5K:
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000582.html

I see cars listed in your range pretty often. I don't know what their condition is, but theyre there. If you're not after a show car, don't let these naysayers get you down. Keep looking.

I will say that eBay will have more selection in your price range than NSXPrime
wink.gif

As for what to look for, the biggies for a 91-92 car are 1) transmission snap ring fix, 2) window regulator fix, 3) AC working properly, and 4) Timing belt/water pump changed. Of course, if a car passes all these test, it is less likely to go for $27K..

[This message has been edited by Timbo (edited 29 March 2003).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Steveny,

That's funny - because I almost wrote exactly the same thing. Here's what I typed, before I changed it to my reply above:

I figure I can probably find a new 360 Modena for under $50K.

Obviously, yours was only slightly less unrealistic - but what was funny was that we both thought of a Ferrari, and at the exact same price!

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 28 March 2003).]
I wanted to edit the post without changing or inserting too many words. I thought the sarcasm would carry through better this way. Ken, your original post did a superb job of this I must say. Good job.

I do not know about others here but I am slightly annoyed by these type of low ball value posts.

Originally posted by Timbo:
I see cars listed in your range pretty often. I don't know what their condition is, but theyre there. If you're not after a show car, don't let these naysayers get you down. Keep looking.

By all means, feel free to look in that price range. I see cars listed in that price range pretty often, too. Sometimes they're in great condition, but they usually have lots more miles than 75K, or they have some other kind of problem. No one is saying that you can't find cars in that price range - only that the ones in that price range tend to have deficiencies of one sort or another; you tend to get what you pay for. If you're willing to accept those deficiencies, go for it!

Originally posted by Timbo:
The sarcastic responses are surprising to me - this is usually such a helpful, supportive forum. Again, HE DIDNT SAY THE CAR HAD TO BE IN GREAT SHAPE. He just asked if there are NSXs out there in a certain price/mileage range. And there are - I posted one above. His question was not insulting or "lowball" at all.

"Alternative": If you havent fled this place yet - the other responses are right on. In summary, the answer is yes, but don't expect superior condition.

There, isn't that better than resorting to mockery?

My intentions are to save "Alternative" money. The fact is one can find a NSX for 27k. When I was looking to buy mine I looked at Ten or so at first that were priced around 26-30K. After those Ten or so cars I stopped looking at anything in that price range. Some of the reasons for this are as follows;
buy the car for..........................27K
put new tires on..........................1K
do the service that was undone.........2-3K
speakers, alignment, regulators.......... 2K

So when I would have been all done I would have spent near the same amount for a well maintained car. I believe the point missed all to often is when the car has the repairs done it may be repaired but it still has been abused and neglected.

I also think it is important for me to note that even though I did my DD and spent One and a half years looking I ended up doing 4K worth of climate control repairs. I can not stress enough the importance of buying a extended warranty. If you can not afford to buy a perfect car or even if you can, the repairs can break you and turn what should be a fun experience into a bad one.

Back