• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Importing into Canada - RIV exempt?

ENT

Contributing Member
I managed to get my NSX over the border today, properly exported from the US and imported into Canada, or so I had thought, but the Canadian border officer instucted me to fill in the Vehicle Import Form (Form1) indicating that it was excempt from the RIV program because it's more than 15 years old.

Does this sound right? I had throught that I would have had to go through the RIV process...

Cheers,
Ian

I know I had to go true RIV but mine is a 2000. I believe he is right that after 15 years old you are exempt. Just bring your paperwork to the DMV and they should be able to tell you for sure.

I managed to get my NSX over the border today, properly exported from the US and imported into Canada, or so I had thought, but the Canadian border officer instucted me to fill in the Vehicle Import Form (Form1) indicating that it was excempt from the RIV program because it's more than 15 years old.

Does this sound right? I had throught that I would have had to go through the RIV process...

Cheers,
Ian

Older than 15 years = No RIV, a nice bullet to dodge !

Dave

You do not have to go through RIV process. Found this out when i imported my 91 last august

No RIV needed =D just get the provincial inspection and you're done!

Imported my '91 Project Car back in October '11 its 15+ years its exempt from the cash grab RIV program.

http://www.riv.ca/HelpFAQs.aspx

Vehicles over 15 years old
All vehicles (except buses) that are 15 years old or more from the date of manufacture, are exempt from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) program. You must be able to prove the age of the vehicle to the Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA). Buses (including school buses) manufactured before January 1, 1971 are also exempt from the RIV program. More information about RIV exemptions.

I took the form 1 to the local MTO office and they processed everything without a hitch (and charged me PST in the process). Only things left are the safety and emissions inspections.

I took the car out for a few runs last night. Wow, what a car!

Hey Ian,

I'm considering importing a NSX to Ontario also. Do you mind listing the entire process? I know you have to call U.S. border and fax them stuff before hand. Also, how much did they tax you? Let me know.

Thanks!
Sam

RIV has absolutely nothing to do with Form 1.............Form 1 is to get the 17 digit VIN into our system so that they can produce an ownership for you, providing you wish to plate your vehicle. I.E. Race bikes, dirt bikes, show cars, etc. that will never need to be plated for the road do not need the Form 1 either, which I think is still $75...........

you still have to pay duty it just allows you to skip the process of day time lights bumper regs etc. You bring the car in pay taxes safety e-test then drive away.
I have done many times some exempt and some not.
John

Kouki Monster is correct, the 6.1% duty still applies but you don't have to go through the RIV process.

In terms of the process, it was pretty straight forward. The only trick was in dealing with the US export office on the Queenston bridge - I had to email them ([email protected]) a week or two ahead of time, print out their reply for confirmation and then show up with the car, signed ownership and the email printout during their business hours which are 8am-4pm Monday to Friday only.

On the Canadian side, they checked for the manufacture date on the door jam and then processed the Form1 and charged me the GST+duty, if I recall correctly.

I dropped by the local MTO office with the Form1, insurance and signed ownership in hand and paid the PST and a few other small fees and then picked up a new plate and a temp sticker.

I took the car in for an etest and cert and then took the pass receipts back to the MTO for the official sticker.

Cheers,
Ian

you still have to pay duty it just allows you to skip the process of day time lights bumper regs etc. You bring the car in pay taxes safety e-test then drive away.
I have done many times some exempt and some not.
John
I am not sure this is correct.

I did not pay any duty. GST on purchase price only.
I believe duty is 6.1% for cars not built or assembled in North America. <15 years from build date, not model year.
Provincial inspection forced me to have DRLs as it is a Canadian requirement for all cars after 1989. (really just a bunch of check marks for $100.00
Oh, and no PST here in Alberta! :tongue:

see http://RIV.ca

Last edited:

I believe duty is 6.1% for cars not built or assembled in North America. <15 years from build date, not model year.
Provincial inspection forced me to have DRLs as it is a Canadian requirement for all cars after 1989. (really just a bunch of check marks for $100.00

Brought mine into Ontario in March from USA...paid HST + 6.1% duty which is applicable to vehicles not manufactured in North America.
No RIV, no Daytime lights

I just took a look at my receipt for the fees charged at the border and they charged me 6.1% duty and 5% GST. I imported the car in June.

The build date on the car was older than 15 years, if only by a few months, hence the RIV exemption.

Let me know if you confirm that cars 15+ are duty exempt - I'll be looking for some cash back.

Cheers,
Ian

As per riv.ca it is except. Get your 6.1% back.

"The CBSA will assess duty on a vehicle manufactured in a country other than the United States and Mexico. Duty and taxes are assessed on your vehicle's value for duty. This is a value in Canadian funds based on the price you have paid or will pay for the vehicle before any consideration for a trade-in."

Good luck getting your 6.1% back.....get mine too while you are at it.

I think Warren is confusing exemption from the RIV program with exemption from duty. RIV has nothing to do with collecting duty on a vehicle so, even if their site states that there is an exemption (BTW I looked and couldn't find anything), it doesn't mean anything unless you can find the same thing on CBSA (http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/).

Strangely enough, I did find claims of exemption from duty for vehicles, and parts for vehicles, that are over 25 years old but this will not be a loophole for any of us until at least 2015.

Cheers,
Ian

Back