Importing from over seas..

Hi all,

Right now I'm an NSX dreamer and have wanted one since I first saw it in Need for Speed. I'm starting to do my research and right now it looks like I'll be heading south of the border to do some US shopping when the time comes. My curiosity piqued me and I checked the Japanese market. It looks like thees cars don't last too long before they are snatched. Has anyone here imported one from Europe or Japan. Ive see that yellow one in Montreal but don't even want to go there. I want something a lot cleaner. I'd like some input from anyone who's imported. I want to research this option thoroughly. Any info will be appreciated.

PS. I'm in Toronto, ON. US laws seem to be more strict when it comes to importing.

Fellow Canadian, congrats on aspiring to an NSX.

I question though why you'd want a right hand drive NSX? You'll find way more choice with U.S. market cars and at least not deal with international shipping. Plus alot of NSX owners re-sell so you'd be stuck with a right hand drive NSX that hardly anyone wants.

I'm in the industry and was able to ship 2 NSX's and one 911 from the U.S. to me here in Dubai because I knew and understood the risks and had the funds to do it.

But I always bought knowing I'd have a left hand drive NSX and that I could bring it to Canada when I move home.

That being said budget $3k for Ocean shipping, $2k for trucking Vancouver to Toronto, PST, GST, etc. on a car that is basically bought sight unseen. Plus the currency conversion.

If I were you I'd buy in the U.S. as its closer, you can fly down and meet the owner etc., have Acura dealerships on the drive back in the event something happens, etc.

my $0.02

I've seen that Yellow one ( not in person ) but online. It does look rough. If you want to import a car I'd go to Ottawa and talk to some of the importers there. I was there a few years ago and asked if they would bring an NSX in and he really didnt want to. he said that that the NSX is not a cheap car to import, just because they hold there value so well in Japan.

I know I can definitely find one in the US a lot cheaper than I can here in Canada. The reason why I was looking into the JDM market is because they can be found at a better bang for your buck even than the US market. I've been on some auction sites and seen some really nice ones with low kms. Where it gets expensive is with the later models and dare I say the Type R. I like thee RHD simply for the difference factor and I dont plan on selling it. Ive spoken with a couple brokers and they do confirm that the NSX holds value real well over there.

Jetpilot3..
did you import yours into CA and then Dubai or straight to Dubai? If you brought it to CA, what was the process like? Did you have any issues?

PS. I'm in Toronto, ON. US laws seem to be more strict when it comes to importing.

If you're looking to buy now My black/black 5spd is in Cincy Ohio, 8 hr drive for you. I'm asking $23,000. Mileage is a little high but I have documentation and the high mileage maint. is up to date (TB/WP, fluids, hoses).

I know I can definitely find one in the US a lot cheaper than I can here in Canada. The reason why I was looking into the JDM market is because they can be found at a better bang for your buck even than the US market. I've been on some auction sites and seen some really nice ones with low kms. Where it gets expensive is with the later models and dare I say the Type R. I like thee RHD simply for the difference factor and I dont plan on selling it. Ive spoken with a couple brokers and they do confirm that the NSX holds value real well over there.

Jetpilot3..
did you import yours into CA and then Dubai or straight to Dubai? If you brought it to CA, what was the process like? Did you have any issues?

I think the really well kept ones in Japan are still expensive, possibly more expensive than Canadian markets after importation. That said, since Canada allows RHD vehicle after 15years old, it may be worth it to get those special models. I am also looking into importing a RHD NSX because I simply like the RHD better and knowing its a Honda like it was always meant to be. I just like rare stuff and if its possible a RHD Acura NSX from Hong Kong would be very nice too. I think its also the only RHD Acura NSX ever made.

Jetpilot3..

Sorry to say this but I doubt this very much and quite skeptical of what you are saying.

I presume by your comments that you are after a Type S model? You do know that the Type S parts can be bought in the U.S. or Japan to replicate and it still may be alot cheaper than bringing one in. I'm very surprised that you think you can find one at " a better bang for your buck" than in the U.S....if the NSX holds its value well in Japan then how are you getting a better bang for your buck compared to North American NSX's :confused:

My cars were U.S. cars shipped directly to Dubai with the U.S. titles that enabled me to import into Canada if I had chosen to go that route.

I'd dig a little deeper into the overall costs of importing a JDM model just to make sure you've done your research. I believe you'd be spending ballpark +02 to 05 money in order to get a NA1 and that to me would be a shame...

Good luck!:wink:

Last edited:
Sorry to say this but I doubt this very much and quite skeptical of what you are saying.

I presume by your comments that you are after a Type S model? You do know that the Type S parts can be bought in the U.S. or Japan to replicate and it still may be alot cheaper than bringing one in. I'm very surprised that you think you can find one at " a better bang for your buck" than in the U.S....if the NSX holds its value well in Japan then how are you getting a better bang for your buck compared to North American NSX's :confused:

My cars were U.S. cars shipped directly to Dubai with the U.S. titles that enabled me to import into Canada if I had chosen to go that route.

I'd dig a little deeper into the overall costs of importing a JDM model just to make sure you've done your research. I believe you'd be spending ballpark +02 to 05 money in order to get a NA1 and that to me would be a shame...

Good luck!:wink:

I think Im just a little excited that the hopes of owning are much more realistic than a few years ago. I have actually seen a couple in japan at auction that are significantly cheaper than any here in north america but the quality was not all that, except for the type r that is still posted at something like 113k US...ya no thanks. I would love a type r but realistically Im going to wait and keep an eye out for something that catches my eye in the US. That said I'll focus on the changes needed to import into canada like some temporary DRL. Im sure there is a lot of info here on prime.

Thanks for everyones input and opinions.

Back