Importing a NSX-R, few questions

i know it's possible based on the number of Japenese ITR's, skyline gtrs, silvia's, s2000s (RHD w/ VGS), 959's i have personally seen in southern Ca with plates and registration.

As stated above, what i have seen done is the car and engine coming over seperatly as pieces and then reassembled and the car being registered as a kit. (every jan2 in california 1000 "hand built" cars are allowed to be registered under a special exemption, once these exceptions are used up, you have to wait until the following january 2)

it isn't easy, and you need conections but it can be done. to me like anil, it was easier to just build one.

A kit car is a car that was never mass-produced. Titling any mass produced vehicle as a kit car is in violation of Federal law. You can fool your state into believing your car is a kit car, or specially constructed, and get it titled and registered with a state issued VIN, but you are still in violation. There is a good chance your state's motor vehicle department will be on your ass real quick.

i have imported few vfr400r from japan and as far as i know the rules are the same for cars:
-$3000 bond prior to title as an off-road vehicle only
-if used on the road you will get a title for one year after which the vehicle must leave the country or be destroyed

technically people get the titles after paying the bond and then 'sell' it to another state untill the trail gets lost and vehicle gets registered. if caught you pay a fine and car gets destroyed.
the biggest issue are not vin numbers etc but a release from the epa which is only obtainable after serious legal legwork.

I think my current signature says it all.

"Those who think the USA is a free country have never tried to import a Nissan Skyline GT-R R34." (In case I change it later).

This applies to most other imports also. It's virtually impossible to do it 100% legally and completely w/o risk of getting caught, no matter how much money you throw at it.

It's largely a political thing, as the Big 3, and to a lesser extent, the U.S. marketing subsidiaries of the foreign automakers think you should be buying all your cars from them and not bringing them in yourself. They've thrown a lot more money than a guy who wants to bring in a car can throw at this to ensure that rules are in place to make it nearly impossible for you to bring cars in legally.

Last edited:
Anil, I have followed your thread and 100% kudos for what you did - simply a breathtaking car! :)

As for bringing a car into the states, no car is worth that kind of trouble assuming you could foot the bill. Plus just the thought of potentially the gov't taking away my baby to be destroyed will ruin any happiness I really have with a car anyways.

I mean what car is fun if you can't legally drive it without worry? :confused:

deltron zero

in your response to my post you make it almost sound like i have done this.

To be clear ... i am only pointing out the number of vehicles that i have observered at local southern ca car shows and what others are doing.

personally, i did what was right for me and took a original white / black na2 nsx and imported every single nsx-r part one at a time and put them on my car. (except nsx-r badges as my car is not an nsx-r)

Re: possible...

Was the NSX-R even made in LHD anywhere? Also anil, I have read your thread many times and love what you did to it, though my checkbook isn't as open as yours...
No, the NSX-R was never made in LHD. And, about that open checkbook...now that I've finished my NSX-RR, my checkbook doesn't seem to be as open as it once was. Sigh.

If money is no limit then go get one or just build your own using a NA1 coupe or make Anil and offer he can't refuse!
I like the way this man thinks!

Last edited:
deltron zero

in your response to my post you make it almost sound like i have done this.

To be clear ... i am only pointing out the number of vehicles that i have observered at local southern ca car shows and what others are doing.

personally, i did what was right for me and took a original white / black na2 nsx and imported every single nsx-r part one at a time and put them on my car. (except nsx-r badges as my car is not an nsx-r)

I didn't mean to come off like that. I too have seen many gray market cars driving around AZ. I was once one of them. I just don't want anyone thinking that titling their car as a kit would make it street legal. That is the best route for making it "pull over" legal, but you draw so much attention driving around in a RHD car that you're bound to get yourself into trouble eventually. I did.

I didn't mean to come off like that. I too have seen many gray market cars driving around AZ. I was once one of them. I just don't want anyone thinking that titling their car as a kit would make it street legal. That is the best route for making it "pull over" legal, but you draw so much attention driving around in a RHD car that you're bound to get yourself into trouble eventually. I did.

Spoken like a true car guy, beside's isnt it hard to order fast food and pay tolls. :biggrin:I've debated a RHD toy for a bit, not worth the hassle and the added attention:wink:

Lol, just make sure you always have a passenger!

Try talking your way out of a 3 hour ordeal on a saturday night ride home at 2 am, No officer...It's legal. No need:wink:

Try talking your way out of a 3 hour ordeal on a saturday night ride home at 2 am, No officer...It's legal. No need:wink:

Yup, even if you could somehow get it 100% federally, state, and smog legal (which you can't), you will always draw unwanted attention to yourself. It only takes getting pulled over once by an overzealous cop to get you in trouble if everything is not in order legally. That's why I passed on the R34 a couple years ago. Just too much risk.

Contrary to popular belief, the Motorex R34s weren't fully legal. They were only NHTSA/DOT legal, but never passed EPA or CARB certifications or testing.

Last edited:
Yup, even if you could somehow get it 100% federally, state, and smog legal (which you can't), you will always draw unwanted attention to yourself. It only takes getting pulled over once by an overzealous cop to get you in trouble if everything is not in order legally. That's why I passed on the R34 a couple years ago. Just too much risk.

If I remember, that blue R34 would have been worth it:redface: But 100k later, buys alot of other stuff:biggrin:

If I remember, that blue R34 would have been worth it:redface: But 100k later, buys alot of other stuff:biggrin:

Yup, it was an awesome car. I only drove it once. It wasn't worth it in the end, especially in the People's Republic of California, where it's all too easy to get caught. Skyline is a dirty word in CARB and CA DMV. If you get pulled over with a non-smog legal car that would obviously never pass smog, that was registered under the table, it's off to impound, and more than likely, the crusher. That's a lot of risk for your $100K. :frown::mad:

Last edited:
I've always thought about doing this myself. Only I've always dreamed of taking a race car of some sort and driving it on the street. I always thought the way to go would be to:
1. buy whatever car you want to run (probably would not closely resemble any street car in my case, i was thinking maybe a CSR race car:cool:)
2. add wipers + signals + whatever else you need to be "street legal"
3. but a salvaged pontiac fiero & swap all the vin tags to the race car
4. get pulled over by a cop and kindly explain to him that it is a fiero with a body kit and a motor swap
It seems like it would work. Then again I live in NC where we have pretty lax enforcement on that sort of thing (you should see some of the offroad trucks driving around these parts). Thoughts?

Guys I don't know if this idea would help you rhd addicts but there are plenty of mail carriers in the US with rhd vehicles heck my own mailman has a rhd chevy blazer.hmmmmmmmmmmm:wink:

Lol, just make sure you always have a passenger!

I always wanted to go through a drive through backwards, but never actually did it in the ~2 years owning a RHD car.

Contrary to popular belief, the Motorex R34s weren't fully legal. They were only NHTSA/DOT legal, but never passed EPA or CARB certifications or testing.

Actually the only federally legal Skylines were those manufactured between 1/1/96 to 6/30/98 R33 GTS and GTR that were imported BEFORE the NHTSA rescinded their eligibility.

Thoughts?

No. Swapping VINs is always a bad idea. Plus, I don't think any cop would believe a CSR was a Fiero kit.

Your friend's Integra is not street legal, even with a US title & registration.

If the DMV says it is...then it is.

It has a valid US title and VIN and registration now. I think he used his "international student" status to get it in....his "personal" car from a foreign country. I dunneo.

If the DMV says it is...then it is.

It has a valid US title and VIN and registration now. I think he used his "international student" status to get it in....his "personal" car from a foreign country. I dunneo.

Just because someone in the DMV says it's street legal doesn't mean it's street legal. Intergras are not on the list of vehicles eligible for importation. A valid US title and registration will not be your friends savior if the state decides to enforce federal restrictions properly. It could be soon. It could be never. You never know. I drove my car for almost 2 years without getting caught.

There is an exemption for nonresidents of the US, but the vehicle cannot be in the country for more than 1 year and cannot be sold in the US.

The fact is "street legal" means nothing. How many NSX's on here don't have airbags due to aftermarket steering wheels? Your not going to get your car towed because of "street legal" items like tail lights, etc. Now, if you get pulled over and the vin or registration is fishy....well, then, there you go.

I want more details on you being "caught"?

The fact is "street legal" means nothing. How many NSX's on here don't have airbags due to aftermarket steering wheels? Your not going to get your car towed because of "street legal" items like tail lights, etc. Now, if you get pulled over and the vin or registration is fishy....well, then, there you go.

You're right, but the consequences for driving a gray market vehicle are far greater than driving with an aftermarket steering wheel (maybe not if you get in a bad accident).

I had a valid US title, registration, insurance, etc. It was legal as far as the state was concerned. I drove it regularly for nearly 2 years. Then one day I came home to a letter that was left at my doorstep to call officer so-and-so from ADOT Enforcement about an issue with my Supra. I spoke to him via phone and blamed the non-conformity of the vehicle on the previous owner who I bought it from (I bought the car here - did not import it). I also let him know that I was actively trying to sell the vehicle. He sympathized with me and gave me 2 weeks to get the car out of the state or I would be hearing back from him. I sold the car within 2 weeks to a guy in a rural part of CO at a huge loss.

So did you get rat'ed out? How did it take 2 years to catch up to you?

Ok, then import the car as off road only, then get a dealers lissences with dealer plates. Drive the car with dealer plates (temp registration).

So did you get rat'ed out? How did it take 2 years to catch up to you?

Who knows. This enforcement officer's full time job was going after gray market cars. If I were him I would scour the forums. :redface:

Ok, then import the car as off road only, then get a dealers lissences with dealer plates. Drive the car with dealer plates (temp registration).

That won't work either. Here's why (from NHTSA - I included 3 different instances of what you might consider 'off-road'):

Importing a vehicle for show or display.

Certain motor vehicles that are deemed to be of unusual historical or technological significance can be imported for purposes of show or display. Information on importing a motor vehicle for those purposes can be found on NHTSA’s website at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/ShowDisplay/. When a vehicle is imported for purposes of show or display, it cannot be driven in excess of 2,500 miles per year. As a general rule, a motor vehicle will not be determined eligible for importation for purposes of show or display if more than five hundred vehicles of the same model were produced, if a version of the vehicle was originally manufactured for sale in the U.S. and certified as complying with all applicable FMVSS, or if the vehicle has been determined eligible for importation based on its capability of being modified to comply with all applicable FMVSS.

Importation of an off-road vehicle.

If the vehicle was not primarily manufactured for use on public streets, roads, and highways, it would not qualify as a "motor vehicle" that must comply with all applicable FMVSS, and bear a label certifying such compliance that is permanently affixed by its original manufacturer to be lawfully imported into the U.S. A vehicle that is not primarily manufactured for on-road use can be imported under Box 8 on the HS-7 Declaration form that is to be given to Customs at the time of entry. Such a vehicle is not subject to NHTSA’s jurisdiction, but may be subject to the jurisdiction of the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC). For information on the requirements, if any, that apply to these vehicles, you should visit the CPSC’s website at http://www.cpsc.gov or contact that agency at 1-800-638-2772.

Importing a racing vehicle.

If the vehicle was originally manufactured as a racing vehicle, it can be permanently imported into the U.S. under Box 8 on the HS-7 Declaration form that is to be given to Customs at the time of entry. The importer must obtain a letter from the vehicle's original manufacturer confirming that it was originally manufactured as a racing vehicle. A copy of the manufacturer's letter should be attached to the HS-7 Declaration form that is submitted to Customs when entry in made. In this instance, no approval from NHTSA is necessary to import the vehicle.

If the vehicle was not originally manufactured as a racing vehicle, it can only be imported on a temporary basis under Box 7 on the HS-7 Declaration form. A NHTSA permission letter is necessary to import a vehicle on this basis. NHTSA grants permission in annual increments for up to 3 years if duty is not paid on the vehicle, or for up to 5 years if duty is paid. If the vehicle was originally manufactured for on-road use, it would have to be in full race configuration at the time of importation, and lack equipment and features needed for on-road use.

Information on importing vehicles for racing purposes is available on NHTSA's website at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/racing.

Last edited:
Back