Importing a NSX-R, few questions

Hi guys,

I was talking with a buddy that used to do car importation from germany (MB's) and we soon started talking about the NSX-R. He told me that to import one in here, we would need to do the following:
1. add the amber strip to the lights/side fenders
2. add emmisions items
3. install a regular nsx steering wheel with air-bag
4. install regular nsx seats
5. get a chassis cleaning done
6. make sure that the saftey bumpers and beams and other items match the ones on the regular NSX, if they are not there, put them on off an regular nsx.
7. Remove all type - r badging and replace with nsx badging, the wing one can stay, it can be considered an aftermarket add-on since it does not deal with saftey.

He said that by doing this and creating a False NSX, you can import an NSX-R under an NSX name, and add the other stuff back when you come back to the USA. As far as right hand drive, he said that it shouldn't really matter since kids are rolling around with r34's and other cars that are right hand drive. For those who have tried to import one, does this seem doable?

Hi guys,

I was talking with a buddy that used to do car importation from germany (MB's) and we soon started talking about the NSX-R. He told me that to import one in here, we would need to do the following:
1. add the amber strip to the lights/side fenders
2. add emmisions items
3. install a regular nsx steering wheel with air-bag
4. install regular nsx seats
5. get a chassis cleaning done
6. make sure that the saftey bumpers and beams and other items match the ones on the regular NSX, if they are not there, put them on off an regular nsx.
7. Remove all type - r badging and replace with nsx badging, the wing one can stay, it can be considered an aftermarket add-on since it does not deal with saftey.

He said that by doing this and creating a False NSX, you can import an NSX-R under an NSX name, and add the other stuff back when you come back to the USA. As far as right hand drive, he said that it shouldn't really matter since kids are rolling around with r34's and other cars that are right hand drive. For those who have tried to import one, does this seem doable?

The hardest part is getting the specific year NSX (I wouldn't try passing an NSX-R off as a NSX) added to the list of eligible vehicles for importation. Right now it's not - http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT/elig010807.pdf. I recently got rid of my RHD Supra after I had a ADOT enforcement officer knocking on my door. Not fun.

Last edited:
The hardest part is getting the specific year NSX (I wouldn't try passing an NSX-R off as a NSX) added to the list of eligible vehicles for importation. Right now it's not - http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT/elig010807.pdf. I recently got rid of my RHD Supra after I had a ADOT enforcement officer knocking on my door. Not fun.

well if you remove the seats, wheels and emblems the only differences that can be seen are the CF underpanels, which can be removed. the motor won't show signs by just looking at it that the tolerances are tighter. Unless you are a suspension analyst, you won't find a difference between the NSX and NSX-R suspension by looking at it. The NSX-R and NSX have the same VIN construction to my knowledge, so technically an NSX-R is the sport edition of the NSX. My question is if it could work and for those who have tried, what have the issues been?

if u can get the car pass custom i can get it registered and street legal for $5k

well if you remove the seats, wheels and emblems the only differences that can be seen are the CF underpanels, which can be removed. the motor won't show signs by just looking at it that the tolerances are tighter. Unless you are a suspension analyst, you won't find a difference between the NSX and NSX-R suspension by looking at it. The NSX-R and NSX have the same VIN construction to my knowledge, so technically an NSX-R is the sport edition of the NSX. My question is if it could work and for those who have tried, what have the issues been?

I guess it might be possible to bring in a NSXR as a NSX, but even a regular NSX has to be petitioned by a Registered Imported to be added to the list of Nonconforming Vehicles Eligible for Importation. The list is not very specific. For example, the 2000-2001 Audi A4, RS4 and S4 are all listed under the same docket number. That being said, you might not have to pass the NSXR as a NSX. If I were you I'd contact your closest RI and see what it would take for them to petition a NSX.

I have seen a type R in Calgary Ca. but importing one into Canada is a lot easier than the US(from what I have been told)

Sorry to put too fine a point on this but it cannot be done.

I tried for a very long time, through my lawyers who had intimate knowledge of both DOT and EPA regulations. Buying one is the easy part. Getting it legal is impossible. Even though I had an open checkbook on this project, I finally relented that I couldn't bring one in, and decided to build one to suit my needs.

Now, it has every single NSX-R part available, but with the new Jon Martin motor, it's much much stronger than any NSX-R. Believe me, I'd love to tell you my story how I brought in a real NSX-R, instead of having to create my own.

Best of luck,

Last edited:
Sorry to put too fine a point on this but it cannot be done.

I tried for a very long time, through my lawyers who had intimate knowledge of both DOT and EPA regulations. Buying one is the easy part. Getting it legal is impossible. Even though I had an open checkbook on this project, I finally relented that I couldn't bring in one, and decided to build one to suit my needs.

It has every single NSX-R part available, but with the new John Martin motor, it's much much stronger than any NSX-R. Believe me, I'd love to tell you my story how I brought in a real NSX-R, instead of having to create my own.

Best of luck,

Well, there you have it... if Anil said it can't be done, then I would be willing to say that it just can't be done. If anybody on this forum had the means and desire to get a real Type-R over here in the U.S. legally, it was Anil.

possible...

If your serious as a heart-attack in wanting to import a genuine '02+ NSX-R, the following protocol(s) will work, if you so desire...

- acquire a salvage/wrecked/totalled NSX, merely for the V.I.N. (or even another NSX that you already own)

- acquire/import a dissembled '02+ NSX-R in multiple pallets/crates, in separate containers

- if importing from Germany (already LHD), get the NHSTA/DOT/EPA mechanical/structural/emissions-related stuff done & then simply swap V.I.N.'s for registration/licensing/inspection/etc' purposes

- if importing from Jpn/UK, do a custom RHD -> LHD conversion, get the NHSTA/DOT/EPA mechanical/structural/emissions-related stuff done & then simply swap V.I.N.'s for registration/licensing/inspection/etc' purposes

Yes, this has been done w/ great success in similar situations w/ other makes/models. Is it 100% kosher, meh' not quite. . .

Re: possible...

If your serious as a heart-attack in wanting to import a genuine '02+ NSX-R, the following protocol(s) will work, if you so desire...

- acquire a salvage/wrecked/totalled NSX, merely for the V.I.N. (or even another NSX that you already own)

- acquire/import a dissembled '02+ NSX-R in multiple pallets/crates, in separate containers

- if importing from Germany (already LHD), get the NHSTA/DOT/EPA mechanical/structural/emissions-related stuff done & then simply swap V.I.N.'s for registration/licensing/inspection/etc' purposes

- if importing from Jpn/UK, do a custom RHD -> LHD conversion, get the NHSTA/DOT/EPA mechanical/structural/emissions-related stuff done & then simply swap V.I.N.'s for registration/licensing/inspection/etc' purposes

Yes, this has been done w/ great success in similar situations w/ other makes/models. Is it 100% kosher, meh' not quite. . .
Was the NSX-R even made in LHD anywhere? Also anil, I have read your thread many times and love what you did to it, though my checkbook isn't as open as yours...

Was the NSX-R even made in LHD anywhere? ...

As a JDM only vehicle the NSX-R is only built in RHD AFAIK

As for swapping VINS ... rather you than me. As a UK resident I could import an NSX-R but clean documented NA2 version is close to £100k (read $200k) once imported, duties paid and registered for UK use. Its simple too expensive IMO.

I think that for US Primers the only option is to replicate a hybrid NSX-R clone as per Anil and co

regards, Paul

As for swapping VINS ... rather you than me. As a UK resident I could import an NSX-R but clean documented NA2 version is close to £100k (read $200k) once imported, duties paid and registered for UK use. Its simple too expensive IMO.
Regarding actual LHD '02+ NSX-R's in Germany, Procar Specials (Detlef) & NSXGOD (MJ/Dali_Racing) would perhaps know more than anyone else.

And as far as acquiring an '02+ NSX-R for/in the U.K., make fuzilov from www.nsxcb.co.uk an offer he can't refuse! I'd think £65k-£75k would do the trick, or it would've a year or two ago! :cool:

I've done a fair amount of research on this, but the three obstacles you must pass are (assuming you live in California):

1. Pass Emissions (Smog Test)
2. CHP must inspect to verify safe condition (no broken glass/plastic, seat belts, no forced induction/NOS, etc.)
3. DMV final inspection and certification

Obviously you will be the first owner of the car therefore you will be the original title holder. And since there is no USDM VIN number, you have to fill out the title yourself. *HINT* if you don't want to ever worry about smog ever again, when filling out the title, put Diesel vice Gas. My importer does this all the time for all the cars he imports. Good luck.

YES, it's possible, I had a friend from INDO in college import a RHD Integra, and get a US title for it. Title even said "HONDA INTEGRA". Fully registered at the DMV.

He would NOT tell me how he did it.

Bring it in without engine....install the engine....whamo, it's now a kit car. Register as such. Lotus used to do this.

I've also seen a DC5-R in Washington. Blue w/Honda & Integra badges and RHD. Saw it a few times around U Village. I remember them for sale from Evolution Imports for like $30k.

YES, it's possible, I had a friend from INDO in college import a RHD Integra, and get a US title for it. Title even said "HONDA INTEGRA". Fully registered at the DMV.

Bring it in without engine....install the engine....whamo, it's now a kit car. Register as such. Lotus used to do this.

most of the time it's the front/rear bumper that's taken off. The fenders and engine are usually kept in piece since it would be a pain to install the motor back or mess with the painted fender bolts. And yes, you'll register as a kit car.

i know it's possible based on the number of Japenese ITR's, skyline gtrs, silvia's, s2000s (RHD w/ VGS), 959's i have personally seen in southern Ca with plates and registration.

As stated above, what i have seen done is the car and engine coming over seperatly as pieces and then reassembled and the car being registered as a kit. (every jan2 in california 1000 "hand built" cars are allowed to be registered under a special exemption, once these exceptions are used up, you have to wait until the following january 2)

it isn't easy, and you need conections but it can be done. to me like anil, it was easier to just build one.

I can say having imported 1 NSX and presently importing another NSX into Dubai that the stress is sometimes not worth it unless you really really want your NSX.

Think for a minute on your costs to bring in a NSX-R:
PURCHASE PRICE! Yikes! :frown:
Engine and/or parts disassembly in Japan - expensive at best
Importation and Shipping Costs - not just one shipment but 2 or possibly more. The car shipment will cost you at least $4k with insurances
DMV and all of the hassle it will take to possibly get the car registered and titled
Insurance coverage in the U.S. - I know here in Dubai if you have a non-UAE market spec car its very expensive to insure your car. How do U.S. insurance companies deal with imported cars?

If money is no limit then go get one or just build your own using a NA1 coupe or make Anil and offer he can't refuse!

...How do U.S. insurance companies deal with imported cars?

typically insured as a kit car. some insurance companies do hike the price up, but I know of some that don't.

typically insured as a kit car. some insurance companies do hike the price up, but I know of some that don't.

tell me about it i am paying $1100 for my JDM s2k and my nsx is only $489

NSX-R never were for sale in Germany.

//I currently know about one race prepared NSX-R that's here the other one was already sold but it is RHD, like all NSX-R

Last edited:

Was the NSX-R even made in LHD anywhere? Also anil, I have read your thread many times and love what you did to it, though my checkbook isn't as open as yours...

You do realize that good condition Type-R(even the older models) in Japan will cost you anywhere from 70k to 100k+ right?

I've done a fair amount of research on this, but the three obstacles you must pass are (assuming you live in California):

1. Pass Emissions (Smog Test)
2. CHP must inspect to verify safe condition (no broken glass/plastic, seat belts, no forced induction/NOS, etc.)
3. DMV final inspection and certification

Obviously you will be the first owner of the car therefore you will be the original title holder. And since there is no USDM VIN number, you have to fill out the title yourself. *HINT* if you don't want to ever worry about smog ever again, when filling out the title, put Diesel vice Gas. My importer does this all the time for all the cars he imports. Good luck.

That's all great for state regulations, passing all of these requirements is necessary AFTER importing the car and getting it through customs.

Your friend's Integra is not street legal, even with a US title & registration.

Back