I'm really getting sick of thuggery in sports

And now we have a "Professional" in the news....maybe he and the chickie were playing Madden 2010 and his competetive juices got the best of him?

Chargers star LB Shawne Merriman arrested on suspicion of choking reality TV star girlfriend

SAN DIEGO (AP) — San Diego Chargers star outside linebacker Shawne Merriman was arrested Sunday and accused of choking and restraining his girlfriend, reality TV star Tila Tequila, as she tried to leave his suburban home.

Tequila, 27, signed a citizen's arrest warrant, charging Merriman with battery and false imprisonment, San Diego County Sheriff's Lt. Gary Steadman said.

Deputies responded about 3:45 a.m. to Merriman's house in Poway, north of San Diego, after a woman called to say she was choked by the player and thrown to the ground when she tried to leave, Sheriff's Department spokesman Jan Caldwell said at a news conference.

Merriman, 25, was taken into custody and booked into the central jail at about 8:30 a.m. He was released shortly after 11 a.m. Caldwell said she didn't know if he posted bail or was released on his own recognizance.

Last edited:
And now we have a "Professional" in the news....maybe he and the chickie were playing Madden 2010 and his competetive juices got the best of him?

Chargers star LB Shawne Merriman arrested on suspicion of choking reality TV star girlfriend

SAN DIEGO (AP) — San Diego Chargers star outside linebacker Shawne Merriman was arrested Sunday and accused of choking and restraining his girlfriend, reality TV star Tila Tequila, as she tried to leave his suburban home.

Tequila, 27, signed a citizen's arrest warrant, charging Merriman with battery and false imprisonment, San Diego County Sheriff's Lt. Gary Steadman said.

Deputies responded about 3:45 a.m. to Merriman's house in Poway, north of San Diego, after a woman called to say she was choked by the player and thrown to the ground when she tried to leave, Sheriff's Department spokesman Jan Caldwell said at a news conference.

Merriman, 25, was taken into custody and booked into the central jail at about 8:30 a.m. He was released shortly after 11 a.m. Caldwell said she didn't know if he posted bail or was released on his own recognizance.

That doesn't look like an amateur job to me.

Still don't care. This event doesn't effect me, or my life. I am pretty sure there were several other domestic issues that occured over the weekend at Joe the Plumbers houses all over this country. Merriman is a sports figure, so his behavior gets news coverage.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN?!?!?!

Merriman draws attention to a national epidemic- use the negative as a positive- "Kids, don't do that."

Kids also see their asshole fathers mistreat their mothers all the time- where is the outcry to stop domestic violence in non-sports oriented situations?

It seems like you have a passionate issue with sports figures, and i can only say that I understand your concern. Let me make a suggestion- Sports are basically a product designed for your entertainment. If you aren't entertained, or if you are SO sick and tired of the behavior of athletes- quit consuming the product. If you can gather enough like minded individuals then the product will have to change in order to attract an audience.

P

Last edited:

Merriman draws attention to a national epidemic- use the negative as a positive- "Kids, don't do that."

Kids also see their asshole fathers mistreat their mothers all the time- where is the outcry to stop domestic violence in non-sports oriented situations?

I've got to agree with you here. I'm not complaining due to the effect the behavior of these individuals will have on my children. . . . .because I don't have children. But I think what you're bringing up here is a very good point, and probably has roots in this situation also. If you can be successful in using it as a relevant educational experience for your children, good for you. The unfortunate part is, whether some members here want to recognize it or not, is that 3 out of 5 african american children in the U.S. have never had a father with whom to share that logic. Quite sad. Statistics on fatherless children (all races):

20 times more likely to have behavioral disorders

9 times more likely to drop out of high school

10 times more likely to abuse chemical substances

9 times more likely to end up in state operated institutions

20 times more likely to end up in prison

10 times more likely to commit rape ... and

32 times more likely to run away from home

As far as Marriman is concerned, there is a huge amount of attention placed on domestic violence in this country; just as there is rape, murder, etc. When these guys sign up to play sports in a collegiate or professional capacity, they are well aware of what comes along with it. Scrutiny is part of the game. If you're on tv, and you make a lot of money, the media considers it news if you sneeze, let alone choke a woman out. He's a damn fool.

Thats why you have to love the PGA! Tiger spend alot of time trying to fly under the radar off the course.

Merriman is stating that he was trying to stop her from leaving his house because she was impaired, and he was worried that she could harm herself, or others (drunk driving?)...More facts will probably come out as time goes on.

Given the public persona of reality TV "star" Tila Tequila (victim?) this may very well be reasonable to believe.

Guilty until proven innocent? In our national media- absolutely.

I still hold that this can serve a valuable purpose- I'd tell my daughter to plan her evenings out so that she didn't end up in a place she didn't want to be, and in a condition where she wasn't fit to handle her own transport (call a cab)

P

Last edited:
Still don't care- about the offense since it doesn't effect me, or my life. I am pretty sure there were several other domestic issues that occured over the weekend at Joe the Plumbers houses all over this country. Merriman is a sports figure, so his behavior gets news coverage.

It seems like you have a passionate issue with spots figures, so let me make a suggestion- Sports are basically a product designed for your entertainment. If you aren't entertained, or if you are SO sick and tired of the behavior of athletes- quit consuming the product. If you can gather enough like minded individuals then the product will have to change in order to attract an audience.

P

Try this on for size: The NFL, NBA, MLB put into their organization rules that all participants in this GAME for ENTERTAINMENT are to uphold a basic standard of human decency. If a player fails that minimal threshold for humanity, then he gets the boot. Just like any other organization.

I don't know if the leagues currently have something like this or not, but they should. That's right -- they should. And, unlike you, 90% of the population would be supportive.

I've got to agree with you here. I'm not complaining due to the effect the behavior of these individuals will have on my children. . . . .because I don't have children. But I think what you're bringing up here is a very good point, and probably has roots in this situation also. If you can be successful in using it as a relevant educational experience for your children, good for you. The unfortunate part is, whether some members here want to recognize it or not, is that 3 out of 5 african american children in the U.S. have never had a father with whom to share that logic. Quite sad. Statistics on fatherless children (all races):

Sounds like the most important job in the world is to be a father.

I clocked in last November- I'll never be clocking out. I get to set an example every day for the rest of my life.

This is what role modeling is. It isn't catching a ball on Sunday, or rhyming words to someone elses music. It doesn't pay millions of dollars, and it probably wont make you famous- but it is rewarding- or at least it will be.

P

Try this on for size: The NFL, NBA, MLB put into their organization rules that all participants in this GAME for ENTERTAINMENT are to uphold a basic standard of human decency. If a player fails that minimal threshold for humanity, then he gets the boot. Just like any other organization.

I don't know if the leagues currently have something like this or not, but they should. That's right -- they should. And, unlike you, 90% of the population would be supportive.

So fire the guy. Do I care? Nope. You seem to think I am "pro-thuggery"- I'm not. I just don't care. Thugs or not, they play a game for my entertainment. I don't look to them for inspiration, or as examples of human excellence. I look for them to slam into each other and either get a ball into an endzone, or prevent the other team from getting into an endzone. I give not a shit what they do in their private lives.

By the way- he might not be guilty. Have you considered that?

The NFL reinstated Michael Vick- he was guilty. I guess the organizational rules are actually quite flexible if a player can perform aren't they? What kind of example it that? Oh wait- I don't care enough to waste my time thinking about it.

your probably posting now- make sure you catch all my edits.

P

Last edited:
So fire the guy. Do I care? Nope. You seem to think I am "pro-thuggery"- I'm not. I just don't care. Thugs or not, they play a game for my entertainment. I don't look to them for inspiration, or as examples of human excellence. I look for them to slam into each other and either get a ball into an endzone, or prevent the other team from getting into an endzone. I give not a shit what they do in their private lives.

The NFL reinstated Michael Vick- he was guilty. I guess the organizational rules are actually quite flexible if a player can perform aren't they? What kind of example it that? Oh wait- I don't care enough to waste my time thinking about it.

P

You do (and support) whatever you feel is Good in your heart. I'll do the same in mine.

God bless, HCarWizkid.

You do (and support) whatever you feel is Good in your heart. I'll do the same in mine.

God bless, HCarWizkid.

Sounds like the most important job in the world is to be a father.

I clocked in last November- I'll never be clocking out. I get to set an example every day for the rest of my life.

This is what role modeling is. It isn't catching a ball on Sunday, or rhyming words to someone elses music. It doesn't pay millions of dollars, and it probably wont make you famous- but it is rewarding- or at least it will be.

P

Will do :wink:

P

Last edited:

P

Does your logic apply outside of sports as well?
I assume you dine out to enjoy good food, not to find inspiration or examples of human excellence from the chef/owner. So if it turns out that the owner is a registered sex offender and the acting grandmaster of the KKK (or replace with whatever you find repulsive), would you continue to dine there as long as the the food and service is up to your standards?

Last edited:
Does your logic apply outside of sports as well?

You may not expect business, religious, or political leaders to be "role models" for your kids either, but you expect them to behave with a certain amount of honesty, integrity and civility. Right?.

As for my expectations of Business, and Religious, and Political leaders- their behavior can effect my quality of life in which event I DO care.

A kid who plays a game? Nope don't give a shit.

Sorry

P

I have already said elsewhere in this thread- "No"- this is just about sports so don't try and stretch the concept. Ski already tried that once (quoted), and I am not taking the bait. Different situations require different considerations. There is no 100% tried and true formula for every situation.

We are talking about the behavior of Athletes in this thread- and as I have said time, and time again- I just don't care what they do before, or after the game.

Fact is, I just don't believe players of sport qualify as "exceptional human beings" who should be put upon a pedestal and worshiped. Our society seems to disagree, and I think THAT is sad. I appreciate their athletic talent, but to think that these guys whose cheif qualification is that they can play a game for a living should also be responsible to set an example for the rest of us, or that they are in any way responsible to be examples for the rearing of our children is ridiculous, and sad.

P

Last edited:
I have already said elsewhere in this thread- "No"- this is just about sports so don't try and stretch the concept. Ski already tried that once, and i am not taking the bait.

This is about sports, and sporting figures- that is it.

Fact is, I just don't believe players of sport qualify as "exceptional human beings" who should be put upon a pedestal and worshiped. Our society seems to disagree, and I think THAT is sad. I appreciate their athletic talent, but to think that these guys also need to set an example for the rest of us, or that they are in any way responsible for the rearing of our children is ridiculous, and sad.

P

I think most sane people would agree that athletes are no role models so I think you're preaching to the choir on that one. However, any human (especially those in the public eye) should be held to a minimum standard. Looking the other way simply because they fulfill your entertainment needs is not a lesson I'd want to teach my son. If you disagree, we certainly have differing views on parenting as well.

I think most sane people would agree that athletes are no role models so I think you're preaching to the choir on that one. However, any human (especially those in the public eye) should be held to a minimum standard. Looking the other way simply because they fulfill your entertainment needs is not a lesson I'd want to teach my son. If you disagree, we certainly have differing views on parenting as well.

Who is looking the other way? As I have stated before in this thread- I take the negative example and then use it as a positive-

The difference is that I don't expect athletes to be "role models" for me or for my kids- That is my job. I can very easily see something like this happening. and then explain to my daughter that this is not a good way of dealing with her emotions. I can use the negative example as a positive lesson because what this jerk does doesn't effect me. He played a game (for a team I could care less about). It isn't my job to judge him for his behavior after the fact, and I won't.

Dad: See how that guy punched the other guy in the jaw on the TV?

Lila: Uh huh.

Dad: Don't do that. It is poor sportsmanship, and that guy should be ashamed of himself.

All done...

It is logical that a person must understand what is wrong, just as they must understand what is right. If I can get the example of what is wrong from the television then they are doing me a favor aren't they?

You really should read the thread before you comment.

If you are teaching your son to speak his mind before he understands an argument, then you are absolutely right- we have differing views about parenting.

I prefer my parenting method, but kudos to you for being a man and sticking in there. As we are both Dads, I am sure you know that this is the most important thing either of us will ever do.

P

Last edited:
I'm going to conjecture that the football player didn't have a proper daddy figure around.

Most African Americans are raised by their moms (hence why they get really offended when u make "yo mamma" jokes).

Studies have shown that fathers have a huge role (if not larger than the moms) in influencing their kids' success/failure in life.

Girls tend to be sluts when they have no male figure (esp. daddy) in the house.

It literally takes a trip to McDonalds and whispering that u "love" them in their ears to get your knob polished and cleaned.

I'm talking from my high school days sexperience.........

I'm going to conjecture that the football player didn't have a proper daddy figure around.

Most African Americans are raised by their moms (hence why they get really offended when u make "yo mamma" jokes).

Studies have shown that fathers have a huge role (if not larger than the moms) in influencing their kids' success/failure in life.

Girls tend to be sluts when they have no male figure (esp. daddy) in the house.

It literally takes a trip to McDonalds and whispering that u "love" them in their ears to get your knob polished and cleaned.

I'm talking from my high school days sexperience.........

Interesting point- but already covered in this thread, although without the self glorifying innuendo...

Statistics on fatherless children (all races):

Just sayin

P

Last edited:
Who is looking the other way? As I have stated before in this thread- I take the negative example and then use it as a positive-
You really should read the thread before you comment. If you are teaching your son to speak his mind before he understands an argument, then you are absolutely right- we have differing views about parenting.

You implied that a suspension is uncalled for. Some might call that looking the other way. I'm not sure how using the athlete's negative actions as a teaching tool negates that.

Sorry if you thought I was attacking your parenting skills. I was just trying to understand your point of view.

You implied that a suspension is uncalled for. Some might call that looking the other way. I'm not sure how using the athlete's negative actions as a teaching tool negates that.

Sorry if you thought I was attacking your parenting skills. I was just trying to understand your point of view.

You have a point- a punishment is certainly justified- but a season long suspension? I always thought that punishment should fit the crime, and this feels out of balance.

A season long suspension for this offense seems like an over reaction to me, and it seems to be driven by the same forces driving punitive actions in the NFL, and other professional sports. It seems like the organizations are catering to this belief that their athletes need to be more than players in a game. There was a time when this kind of thing would result in a slap on the wrist, or a one game suspension, but lately it seems like the punishments are becoming more sensational than the offenses warrant.

I worry that this just gives more weight to the idea that athletes, and celebrities are supposed to be role models in our culture and their bad behavior is an excuse for people to lay blame because their kid grows up to be some sort of asshole.

With all the high profile coverage, and scrutiny the events are blown WAY out of proportion. It actually makes it even worse to focus so much attention on it.

It was one punch, and the game was over. The kid is a jerk, but there are a lot of jerks in the world. If the announcer had just said- "oh there appears to be a scuffle going on down there" and then moved on- and if the sporting news media had just covered the actual events of the game instead of engaging in tabloid style journalism then there is no uproar of disapproval over this event. There was just a scuffle. Without national news coverage the only people that know about this are the players, coaches, and the fans in the stands that were paying attention. Instead we get a sensationalist news travesty and here we are arguing about morality of sports as it applies to modern parenting on an internet board dedicated to an out of production Japanese sports car.

So are we sick of Thuggery in sports, or are we sick of tabloid style media from every outlet blowing events so far out of proportion?

At what point do we just say enough! This isn't really news, and it isn't that important. This one athletes behavior isn't an indictment of all sports, and all athletes. It is just one kid who was raised by people we don't know, and who behaved stupidly in a very public way. We all seem to agree that it was stupid, and that it was stupid, and we wouldn't act as such, and wouldn't raise our children to act this way-

so why is this news?

Why do you really care?

I am just saying that in the larger scheme of things I don't care. No matter what offenses an athlete might commit on a sporting field, or off it won't effect the way I see the world, and it won't influence my child as long as I don't allow it.

So what is the problem? That this kid is a jerk, or is the problem that we are paying it so much attention?

P

Last edited:
Unreal, isn't it? I saw this on ESPN this morning and couldn't believe what I was watching. Let's hope he doesn't get rewarded one day with a big payday in the NFL!

VOTE with your wallet and don't support Teams/Sports/Players endorsements/etc...that don't live up to your expectations.

Back