I'm getting ready to look at an NSX...what should I pay extra attention to?

I found a 1991 NSX with 91k miles and an automatic transmission. It appears to be in good shape. It has had one accident but the owner said the frame is straight and he referred to it as a fender bender (I will be looking at this closely). I am not familiar with the NSX and I don't know if there is anything special that I should pay attention to. Ideas? Thoughts?

The price is right. Its a car that I'm going to buy to use for the summer and resell. Its pushing my budget and the car is priced under market value. I would prefer a manual, but I'll take what I can get :)

A PPI and carfax should be your starting point.

A PPI? What is that?

I am familiar with the process of car buying. Some cars have notorious problem area and I'm basically looking for things that one would expect this car to need that you average Accord might not.

Just click on the wiki in the red bar at the top of the screen. EVERYTHING you're asking about is already in there.

A PPI is a pre-purchase inspection. Take the vehicle to a shop/individual that is familiar with the NSX and have them do the inspection. There was a recent thread on here about an individual that had a bad PPI that resulted in him spending a lot of money post purchase, so make sure you have it inspected by someone that REALLY knows about the NSX.

Good luck.

There is a '91 in Nashville with 91k miles and an auto transmission for sale for $23,500, so this is probably the car you're talking about. If the car has previous body and paint damage, I think that price is too high, especially considering it's an automatic (which no one wants). You will have a terrible time reselling it down the road due to the damage and the transmission.

That said, I live in Nashville and own an NSX and would be happy to look at it if the seller would bring it by my house. I'm very anal about all my cars, and could give you a very good detailed description of how it looks and drives. Have Barnman (Barney Demonbreum) at Gary Force Acura give the car a PPI to tell you what he thinks as well.

I think that price is too high, especially considering it's an automatic (which no one wants). You will have a terrible time reselling it down the road due to the damage and the transmission.

No offence but I think that's a little harsh regarding the automatic transmission. There was a recent thread on the board regarding automatic transmissions and a number of owners said they would like to have an automatic. Guys that drive in stop and go traffic on the freeways or someone like myself driving these Steve McQueen hills in San Francisco often wish they had an automatic. The first NSX I drove was a paddle shifter when I lived in Europe. It was a hoot.

Good luck to both of you. And good advice about where to have the PPI done.

Never knew that was offered on any NSX regardless of where it was.:confused:

I know. The one I drove was a new one in Scotland at a Honda dealership. I think it was Phoenix Honda in Paisley. It was around 1998 or 1999. It really was a hoot to drive it. The salesman was telling to "Just pull up on the paddle to upshift and push down to downshift." We were pulling onto the motorway and I was having so much fun he later told me to, "Mind your speed." I was well over 100 mph and didn't realize it.:biggrin:

So I found out that its been totaled once and repaired. It was issued a salvage title in MO then a salvage title in IN to a dealer (3 months later). It was then issued a rebuilt title in IN. When it was issued a title in TN, it was given a clear title. The current owner is the second one to title it in TN. He mentioned the first wreck and not the total, but its on its second clear title so he may not know. I am thinking that if the owner will come down to the 10-12k range, its still worth it. Thoughts?

I would not even buy that car at that price. Reselling it will be a complete pain with all of the wrecks and transmission.

If you must have an auto,patience for the right car.As I'm sure you know the number of auto cars is small,but demand is small too.The only caveat is that owners of auto nsx's specificaly want or need an auto,so I would think the turnover amongst auto owners is scant.

buy to use for the summer and resell. Its pushing my budget :)

You need to stop right there. If you are on a shoe string budget, the NSX will break you like Tito Ortiz on a box of graham crackers. Not trying to hurt you feelings but small easy fixes on normal cars will put you in Ramen Noodles for months on an NSX. Add salvaged and Automatic into the equation and that thing isn't worth $8k.

Maybe you could part it out at the end of the summer.

:wink:

You need to stop right there. If you are on a shoe string budget, the NSX will break you like Tito Ortiz on a box of graham crackers. Not trying to hurt you feelings but small easy fixes on normal cars will put you in Ramen Noodles for months on an NSX. Add salvaged and Automatic into the equation and that thing isn't worth $8k.

Maybe you could part it out at the end of the summer.

:wink:

Wonderful sample of equations.:biggrin: :biggrin:

Doug

Theres still some that lay the hate down on us autotomatic transmission owners:confused: ...lol...lifes way to short and difficult to worry about what type of transmission a person has in their car. I guess people need to feel superior to others...lol...

Dam:cool:

Theres still some that lay the hate down on us autotomatic transmission owners:confused: ...lol...lifes way to short and difficult to worry about what type of transmission a person has in their car. I guess people need to feel superior to others...lol...

Dam:cool:

Remember the Steve Mcqueen movie "Bullet" that was filmed in San Francisco years go? Probably one of the greatest chase scenes ever filmed. Remember during the chase scenes when the cars became airborne when going down those hills in San Francisco? That's where I live, excetp I live at the top of the hills. If I take my car out it's not a problem going down because I drive slow, but can you imagine how I feel coming up those hills?:biggrin:

You should also note that all of the intersections at these hills are STOP SIGNS and not lights. So now imagine you're number four or five in line going up one of these hills at a stop sign at one of these locations. I would guess these are 25 to 30 percent grades. They are HUGE.

Want to drive on the CA 101, 405, etc, and drive 10 feet fan hour for a few hours?

Don't dump on an auto. I don't know if it's available in the US but the first NSA I ever drove was in the UK and it was a paddle shifter. I loved it.

You know the thought of an Automatic NSX is appealing for daily driving uses. I'll never part with my manual NSX but I have to admit if I pick up another I'd be tempted...

Remember the Steve Mcqueen movie "Bullet" that was filmed in San Francisco years go? Probably one of the greatest chase scenes ever filmed. Remember during the chase scenes when the cars became airborne when going down those hills in San Francisco? That's where I live, excetp I live at the top of the hills. If I take my car out it's not a problem going down because I drive slow, but can you imagine how I feel coming up those hills?:biggrin:

You should also note that all of the intersections at these hills are STOP SIGNS and not lights. So now imagine you're number four or five in line going up one of these hills at a stop sign at one of these locations. I would guess these are 25 to 30 percent grades. They are HUGE.

Want to drive on the CA 101, 405, etc, and drive 10 feet fan hour for a few hours?

Don't dump on an auto. I don't know if it's available in the US but the first NSA I ever drove was in the UK and it was a paddle shifter. I loved it.

Very interesting! This if the first time I've heard of a NSX with "paddle" shifters. So it was actual paddles behind the steering wheel like a SMG M3 or Ferrari paddles?

Very interesting! This if the first time I've heard of a NSX with "paddle" shifters. So it was actual paddles behind the steering wheel like a SMG M3 or Ferrari paddles?

You bet ya. Actually that's the only automatic I've ever driven. I've seen photos of automatics here in the US and I guess they all have consoles. Perhaps it was something produced for outside North America. I don't have a clue.:confused:

Sounds like I should have purchased it, but it was right hand drive so I couldn't have brought it back.

I'll see if I can find it on the UK board. I've tried finding my old one on that board, but never successful.:frown: Always wondered what happened to it.

So Many Non Automatic owners/ drivers(NSX) always down Automatics...:frown:

I have both....:biggrin:

Yes their is a difference......Performance....(HP and weight) Stage 2 Tq converter and tranny rebuild (option) has my auto feeling more like a modern automatic. But even before the upgrade---It wasn't that bad but different.

The automatic is not as slow as most people think.....But yes the Manual is fun to drive, but so is the automatic---Some Tall GEARS......

if I was going to a shoot out, I would take the Stick of Course.

If i had the choice I would prefer steptronic/tiptronic with no detune engine

If you only plan to have for the summer??? The automatic might be harder to sell. Being a Salvage/Clean title making it even more difficult. I wouldn't buy an 05 salvage.....former totaled etc.... Unless its a show car....or Drag Strip.

I see u decided to stay clear of this one....

Might be best since you plan to sell....

You wont get top dollar for your automatic, but it will sell......

Crazy ---Most Automatics today cost more then manuals....

You bet ya. Actually that's the only automatic I've ever driven. I've seen photos of automatics here in the US and I guess they all have consoles. Perhaps it was something produced for outside North America. I don't have a clue.:confused:

Sounds like I should have purchased it, but it was right hand drive so I couldn't have brought it back.

I'll see if I can find it on the UK board. I've tried finding my old one on that board, but never successful.:frown: Always wondered what happened to it.

This has to be a one-off, no? To date, I've never seen or read anything regarding paddles. The '95+ autos only had a shift stalk..

This has to be a one-off, no? To date, I've never seen or read anything regarding paddles. The '95+ autos only had a shift stalk..

I don't know Jim. You got me curious so I started searching for photos of a NSX for sale in the UK. First, I was surprised to see how many automatics there were. There's not that many NSXs in the UK. When I had mine, I was told there were only 300 in all of the UK and there only 13 in Scotland, where I lived.

Anyway...I only found one automatic that had a photo of the interior.:confused: Forgot what year it was, but it was fairly new. It had a console.

Perhaps it was a one-off. I don't remember the sales guy telling me it was a one-off or a special edition or anything. Perhaps he did and I was just so giddy I didn't hear him.

As you can imagine, because there are so few in the UK the boards are not that active, but I'll keep trying to figure this out. Damn, I could have missed out on a VERY special car.:mad:

Back