If you snooze...you lose!!!

:mad: On my daily search on line for my next NSX, I found a smoking deal on at.com for a 2000 silverstone 58K miles with Volks for $34,950 at a So Cal Infiniti dealer...
A clean 2000 for what some are asking for there 91-94's..needless to say it didn't last for more then 4 days....I couldn't make it up to the LA area this week and was hoping it would still be there this weekend...but to my dismay, it is gone...some lucky #$%* drove away in my next NSX!!!:frown:

moral of the story is "you snooze, you lose"...if you find a smoking deal, find a way to get there before someone else does!!!

the search continues!!!

damn i know how that feels. it feels worse when you are on the search to expand your business when someone else in the market dismays your expansion.

good luck on the search, as i am looking for one too. a 91-95 though.

puahahahaahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... i am just teasing yah buddy!!!! :biggrin:

lol, you basterd...I had visions of you speeding down the 405 with a big :biggrin: on your face!!!

ok, I don't hate you as much anymore:tongue:

That very same 2000 NSX-T (JH4NA2163YT000116) was listed for $44991 two months ago. Very curious.

:mad: On my daily search on line for my next NSX, I found a smoking deal on at.com for a 2000 silverstone 58K miles with Volks for $34,950 at a So Cal Infiniti dealer...
A clean 2000 for what some are asking for there 91-94's..needless to say it didn't last for more then 4 days....I couldn't make it up to the LA area this week and was hoping it would still be there this weekend...but to my dismay, it is gone...some lucky #$%* drove away in my next NSX!!!:frown:

moral of the story is "you snooze, you lose"...if you find a smoking deal, find a way to get there before someone else does!!!

the search continues!!!

After 18 months of "hard" searching to get my NSX, I got to a point of "maybe no smoking deal, I'll just take a reasonable deal" get the right car and if it costs a bit more then oh well, $hit I'm running out of patience/steam. So I've lost out to more than a few cars, not being quick enough on the draw.

New strategy, find it get the deal done fast. Seller (retiree) didn't drive the car and decided to sell and try ebay for the 1st time. He posted Thursday afternoon, I talked to the seller Thursday night, said I'll be there 1st thing Saturday morning, drove and inspected the car, deal done. Both signed a letter of intent which left me with just giving him the money. Now the risk. No PPI no buy, go get one dude. Picked the car up next Saturday we both went to my bank and I gave him a cashiers check. Bottom line , you better move fast on the nice cars, I snoozed before and lost...but in the end maybe I should say I ended up with the best car. Like said on other posts, meeting knowing the seller very important.

p.s. I had a gentleman's agreement on buying a 1994 NSX out of town (asked for 1st refusal if another buyer came along) but one week before doing the deal the seller e-mailed me to say he sold the car. So much for a gentleman's agreement. He's a pu$$y obviously not a man of his word. The new owner put the car up for sale on prime a month later only to retract the sale. Pi$$ed me off but, oh well, live goes on. Moral to the story.....got to be quick on the draw for the right car for you..........

Sometimes the deal just happens. I was looking for an NSX for about a year and looked at several cars.

Out of the blue, maybe purple or plum, one the sellers emailed me and told me he would take the 2 month old, low ball offer.

I now have an NSX in the garage.

Keep looking, it will happen.

Last edited:
I will never do a "gentleman's agreement" again. When selling my Porsche 996TT, the 1st buyer who called me was insistent on a "gentleman's agreement" that I hold my car for him until the following week when he could fly down from SF to see it. I finally relented after he gave me his whole sob story about being a single parent, so he can't come until next week, etc...

During that week I talked to 2 local guys extremely interested in my car, but I declined to sell it to them just yet due to the agreement with the 1st buyer. Told them I'd call them back after the initial buyer looked at it based on the "agreement".

Of course the 1st guy who insisted on the "gentleman's agreement" changes his mind at the very last second and backs out.(bast@rd) I immediately call the other two buyers back, and they both tell me they just bought someone else's 996TT because mine seemed spoken for. They both said they would have preferred to buy mine.

Lesson learned: "Gentleman's agreement" is B.S. - if you want a car that bad, put down a deposit or risk getting screwed.

Perhaps there's some good karma for me though... it took me another 2 months to finally sell the Porsche, but within an hour of selling the car, a for sale ad appeared on Prime for my dream NSX that I bought and now own.

Last edited:
As long as you have the money in the bank, there is always another car out there for you. Think positive and keep looking.

I will never do a "gentleman's agreement" again. When selling my Porsche 996TT, the 1st buyer who called me was insistent on a "gentleman's agreement" that I hold my car for him until the following week when he could fly down from SF to see it. I finally relented after he gave me his whole sob story about being a single parent, so he can't come until next week, etc...

During that week I talked to 2 local guys extremely interested in my car, but I declined to sell it to them just yet due to the agreement with the 1st buyer. Told them I'd call them back after the initial buyer looked at it based on the "agreement".

Of course the 1st guy who insisted on the "gentleman's agreement" changes his mind at the very last second and backs out.(bast@rd) I immediately call the other two buyers back, and they both tell me they just bought someone else's 996TT because mine seemed spoken for. They both said they would have preferred to buy mine.

Lesson learned: "Gentleman's agreement" is B.S. - if you want a car that bad, put down a deposit or risk getting screwed.

Perhaps there's some good karma for me though... it took me another 2 months to finally sell the Porsche, but within an hour of selling the car, a for sale ad appeared on Prime for my dream NSX that I bought and now own.

Yes, lesson learned. In my case the seller knew on the Thursday or Friday I believe that he had an interested buyer. He didn't even call me to give me a heads up and the option of driving down to see/get the car. Just an email on Saturday pm to say it was sold......

Patience young Jedi....:biggrin:

Sometimes jumping on a "deal" can bite you in the rear end though. Just be aware of that. Took me almost two years to find my car, but then there were also other choices in the mix, P-Car, F-Car, yes dare I say even a nicely tuned white Mustang made the list, thank god I had a flashback to a Vanilla Ice video and promptly removed said Mustang from the list. :biggrin:

Gentlemen's agreements only work if you have a friend mostly. There are exceptions but that's the rule. If you want a car and the guy hasn't asked for a down payment - then make him take one. Some won't take it cause they want to be free to negotiate the best price.

I've surely lost my share of good deals by being slow on the draw. It really sucks too. I konw that awful feeling. I had it earlier last year when I tried like hell to get this NSX out in Oregon - the buyer that had first dibs was slow stepping the owner but the owner was adament to wait for the original buyer. The car he had sold in 12 hours - yep that's right 12 hours and there were 10 people lined up if he failed but because I persevered with him he let me move to the head of the line of those in wait - oh boy - and I thought I was going to ace but instead the guy came thru at the last minute - damn. I had been waiting with anxious anticipation and when the hammer droped against me it was tough to take. It was a pristine 2 owner 93 white with 17k miles on it and it went for 35,5oo. I would have paid that for it in a heart beat and still would. It had all original paint - no valence, no rear bumper paint - none - perfect. It had just had it's TB/WP/hoses/ full service. The stereo had been gone thru by Wilham out in Dallas. They are the king daddy of repairmen for the stereo and BrianK will back that up.

You can tell it's still with me - yeah - so I know your pain; I have felt that pain. So if you see something that looks real good - jump as fast as you can - cause there are others lurking - make that person take your down payment or you too will get that call - the car is sold. If your the seller - don't listen to sob stories cause they're out there all day long - plenty of sob stories - only hold with bucks. If the guy can't give you bucks then he's apt to get the "sorry - it's sold" message.

That's the lesson and it can be a damn painful one. :frown::wink:

Gentlemen's agreements only work with gentlemen. Fortunately, I bought my NSX from such a gentleman. (Brylek). We had a gentleman's agreement and we were both good to our word. Fortunately, not everyone is a jerk out there. Great transaction and great car.

the search continues!!!

When I spotted mine, it was at a Mercedes dealership in West Covina, CA. The price was unbelievable and the condition was stellar. I quickly put a phone deposit down on the car (refundable) and grabbed the next reasonable flight I could out of Washington DC to LAX to check it out. Once I confirmed the car was in fact legit, I handed them a check and had it shipped home.

I was looking for almost a year for the right car and when this one came up (2004 Silverstone), I jumped FAST.

Its an adventure buying and selling cars; sometimes good and sometimes disappointing. I recently bought my 91 without a PPI -- but based upon my conversations with the seller, and getting a "sense" of the person. I made the 6 hour drive to Charlotte NC, and upon arrival knew I had a good car, and was dealing with a good and honorable person. If I felt otherwise I would have left, and my loss was only the time I took to drive, and gas $$.

In my experience over the years, the person (the seller) is the most important thing in the exchange -- in this case he was a professional, a car "nut", and had all the records going back to purchase date. I was looking for a stock car, with low mileage, and with all the maintenance records.

After driving it back home, and taking it to the local Aura dealer (for local state inspection) I had their NSX "expert" check the car out, and he said it was in remarkable shape with no work needed.

I too believe that if you find something exceptional, you don't wait, and you pay the fair price. I now have what I believe is the finest automobile I've ever had the pleasure to own. What a car! :biggrin: Jay

I had a gentleman's agreement on buying a 1994 NSX out of town (asked for 1st refusal if another buyer came along) but one week before doing the deal the seller e-mailed me to say he sold the car. So much for a gentleman's agreement. He's a pu$$y obviously not a man of his word.

Interesting perspective. The owner should have a commitment to you but you need not have any commitment at all to him? Sort of an I'm not married but my wife is kind of approach?

Reminds me of the whole "dibs" thing that you occasionally see on classifieds. Might work great amongst 12 year olds or friends but beyond that your gentleman's agreement is nothing more than you expecting something from him in return for absolutely nothing from you... other than that you will freely call him a pussy when he doesn't put your best interest ahead of his own.

You realize that this isn't the way things work, right?

Legion, you bring up an excellent point which compels me to provide additional information. I had had a couple of phone conversations with the seller as well as the usual e-mails. I suspect (I think) he had a pretty good level of assurance and commitment of my intent. The seller knew of my reasons for the delay in traveling (okay think of it as a sob story but my conversations may have led to the seller thinking otherwise) to inspect and buy the car. The date and inspection of the car was set like 2 weeks in advance. The rub is he just didn't even give me the courtesy of a call. For that he is still a pu$$y. Ladies on the site forgive my expression.

So the car I ultimately bought was from a gent who I met, drove the car, made a deal for payment the following week and, had a letter of intent signed by both parties. No deposit pending PPI. We shook hands and he is a true gentleman. Deal done. Why couldn't this @#$%^ given me the courtesy of a call. I forget but think he had a MB, M5 and a couple of other cars in his garage/driveway.

Did it have black volk TE-37's? Im sure its the same one i saw at a dealer around here. Yeah it was around 45-50k starting and went all the way down to the 30's last time i saw it. It was a nice car, good pickup. :cool:

Legion, you bring up an excellent point which compels me to provide additional information. I had had a couple of phone conversations with the seller as well as the usual e-mails. I suspect (I think) he had a pretty good level of assurance and commitment of my intent. The seller knew of my reasons for the delay in traveling (okay think of it as a sob story but my conversations may have led to the seller thinking otherwise) to inspect and buy the car. The date and inspection of the car was set like 2 weeks in advance. The rub is he just didn't even give me the courtesy of a call. For that he is still a pu$$y. Ladies on the site forgive my expression.

So the car I ultimately bought was from a gent who I met, drove the car, made a deal for payment the following week and, had a letter of intent signed by both parties. No deposit pending PPI. We shook hands and he is a true gentleman. Deal done. Why couldn't this @#$%^ given me the courtesy of a call. I forget but think he had a MB, M5 and a couple of other cars in his garage/driveway.

Guys, I relate a bit to what Legion said but I gotta tell ya I have to side with Sidewac on this. The guy was a SOB for sure. You talk with a guy on the phone and know what's up - whether money changes hands or not if you're a man of your word you give a guy a call. Another here mentioned gentlemen's agreements and I've done business that way many times and it takes a lot of trust but really it just takes being a man of your word! These days that doesn't seem to mean what it used to. But I find gentlemen all the time. I have sold and bought from several- not every time but enough to know they are out there.

I used to say shopping owners is as important as anything. It is - I still feel that way. Some owners are just difficult and some really don't want to give their word. Those are the ones that tend to do what happened to Sidewac. So chalk it up to finding anothe A hole. So what you know there's always another one coming and it may be better. Many times it is!

Email is as good as a phone call to me, but what the seller should have done, is to call or email you before he sold the car because he had an agreement with you first. He could and should have said: "I have a local buyer in hand with cash in front of me, and I am about to sell it to him because you're still 2000 miles away and we haven't done a PPI yet(the PPI could be a risk in the seller's perspective)." Then you will at least have a chance to respond, although he could still deny it there would be less grudge. I think he owe you that piece of communication.

I agree about putting a deposit down if you find something you like. I have passed a number of cars that I felt I could have bought but I feel that the NSX I got was the best. I knew I could never live a life of naturally aspirated power on the NSX and I found a 94 coupe with a low boost CTSC in Kentucky. I hesitated because it was so far to get to and purchase. Just the plane ticket would cost me $400 bucks to go and see it. I eventually went with it and I am glad I did it. I shipped the car too since it was cold with snow everywhere. I only wish I could drive it more given my car situation. I need to unload a car possibly down the road.

Back