If you could only have 1 car and you lived in the midwest....

T Bell said:
Aaron is it possible to extend your current garage? Deeper, wider, or taller? I would have a contractor give you some options and estimates. Maybe to allow a lift. Just an idea.

I was hoping to do a lift like MyNSX and SJJ28 have but my ceiling height is too low and my garage is too narrow as well they said. Too bad, because that would have been about a $5000.00 solution and all would have been done :rolleyes: As for extending it, that not an option becuase I an right on a corner with the garage right near the street.

brahtw8 said:
I don't see the point in having two E46 M3s if you can only have two cars.

How do you feel about the new 911?

If you can't wait for that, I would say go for the Turbo or the C4S, whichever you prefer. I think the Turbo would be more fun . . .

My girlfriend says the same thing, and since I drive the M3 2/3 days a week anyway I guess I agree. The 997 is most definitly an option, it just depends how long it takes to sell the NSX becuase I will be wanting to buy a car as soon as that takes place. I was thinking the NSX should sell somewhat quickly becuase it is completely spotless and looks smokin hot after the Last Detail had their way with it, but I guess only time will tell. Either way it's not that bad becuase if it doesn't sell as quick I get to enjoy driving it still. :)

sjs said:
Forgive me if this has already been said, but I just skimmed the posts. Considering how seldom you drive the NSX, why not find a place nearby to store it where you can easily take it out when you want?

SJS, that's always an option (and if the car does not sell before her house does) it would be the most likely thing to happen at least in the short term. I just don't really feel like I'm getting the best use of the car that way. It hard to explain, but just having the car there every time I open the garage makes me happy. I may not drive it as much as I like (due to my schedule), but every day I walk around it and admire it. It may only be for 5 minutes while I have my morning coffee, but at least I can see the car. That's why I really like the clear storage bubble for the winter. Some days (like today) I just washed it and put it back in the garage, but at least it was there for me to do so. I just am not sure if I can justify owning the car but not even having it at my house. Maybe I am just being wierd but I keep thinking that if I drive it so little now, how little will I drive it when it resides 20 minutes away from me???

Drove the 2004 Audi S4 tonight and that baby is OUT!
NO WAY could I ever be happy in that car.

-the shifter was really funky with some soft of a 2 nothces per gear system that I have never felt before.

-clutch is way light

-car is very hard to launch

-did not feel like 360hp

-did not feel sporty in any way

This car is for the birds (no offense to any prime members who may have one). I have a 1996 911 turbo 4wd for the day tommorrow so hopefully that will be better. It's Polar silver on black with a carbon fiber interior. More reporting to come.... :)

I would store the NSX at a parking garage or self-storage place, then buy a newer style SL500.

and/or

Shop for a new killer house.

Personally, I'm shopping for a new house so I can own more cars with less hassle.

I don't get it. If you think you can drive an M3 with winter tires all winter, why wouldn't you consider doing the same with the NSX? Both are expensive cars so the usual arguments about the risk of being hit by other drivers or concerns about road salt/sand are likely the same (in fact I'd argue that the NSX is less susceptible to salt than a BMW).

Is the NSX lowered? If not, I'll bet it comes very close to the same ground clearance as the M3. In 2 1/2 winters, I've never been stuck once and I'm miles north of you. With the same snow tires, the traction in an NSX has to be better than an M3 just because of the basic vehicle weight dist'n.

Sure, it won't be the same NSX driving experience as in the winter but it won't be any better in the M3.
..Ian

NSX2398 said:
I don't get it. If you think you can drive an M3 with winter tires all winter, why wouldn't you consider doing the same with the NSX? Both are expensive cars so the usual arguments about the risk of being hit by other drivers or concerns about road salt/sand are likely the same (in fact I'd argue that the NSX is less susceptible to salt than a BMW).

Is the NSX lowered? If not, I'll bet it comes very close to the same ground clearance as the M3. In 2 1/2 winters, I've never been stuck once and I'm miles north of you. With the same snow tires, the traction in an NSX has to be better than an M3 just because of the basic vehicle weight dist'n.

Sure, it won't be the same NSX driving experience as in the winter but it won't be any better in the M3.
..Ian

Aaron keeps his NSX in a bubble over the winter. Driving in snow is apparently not an option for his NSX>

NSX2398 said:

..Ian

I would rather have someone else own my car, than see it in the salt and snow. I'm just way too anal about keeping the car clean and nice for that and I have no problem admitting that. Plus that would be such a crime to me to have treated the car like I have for 2 years and then do a 180 and drive it in the snow. As an example, I just dropped big money to get all my dry weahter scratches taken out. After 1 winter the car would never be the same to me. I know the next comment on the way.....what if someone who buys the car does not treat it like I have. I can only hope......

PLUS***I have H&R's so it would be more of a snow plow than anything :)

Last edited:
Aaron,

I would put your NSX in storage until you have saved up enough money for a 996 turbo. Perhaps you could eat beans and franks for a bit to save up the difference between the 993 and 996. This forum has lost a few members to that 996 turbo. There must be something great about it (It is thought by many to be the most complete sports car)

I very well could be wrong but I think the 996 has a more advanced traction control system than the 1993 which could prove useful in the harsh conditions of the midwest.

Anyway, it looks like you have a nice list going there. I do not think you will be disappointed with any of them.

I don't know why it hasn't been mentioned before??

Aaron, you worked at Tire Rack, and I believed they have a big parking lot/ garage for company cars... Say even the warehouse, I don't think any of your boss will mind having the nsx in display...

Since you go to work 5 days a week, that would still make you happy...

Isn't that they have a track there too?? So, basically you can take it out and have fun whenever you want to...... think of a 3pm 5 mins run break......ummmm....

I know that's just my imagination, but shouldn't be too far from Truth, right??

Buy a 2004 BMW M5 and call it a day. Either that or a 911 Twin Turbo. I personally feel that with either of those cars you will have a blast. :)

Meeyatch1 said:
Buy a 2004 BMW M5 and call it a day.

If you can find a 2004 M5, let me know . . .

IIRC, 2003 was the last year of the E39 M5. I also recall some official announcements when the last E39 rolled off the assembly line.

AaronR said:
I was hoping to do a lift like MyNSX and SJJ28 have but my ceiling height is too low and my garage is too narrow as well they said. Too bad, because that would have been about a $5000.00 solution and all would have been done :rolleyes: As for extending it, that not an option becuase I an right on a corner with the garage right near the street.

If you can't make the garage longer, I bet you can have a builder make it tall enough inside to accomodate a lift. Unless you have a 2nd story above it, it really should not be that hard for a qualified builder.

I have NO IDEA how expensive this would be, but it wouldn't hurt to have a builder come out and tell you.

We have a winner!

1996 911 Twin Turbo - Polar silver on black with carbon fiber seat backs! 408 HP all wheel drive. It is one of our owner's cars, so it already has H&R coilsovers and 19 inch BBS RS-GT's. I thought it would take longer to decide. It's down in our front bay with the plate off calling for me :p

Attachments

• mark.jpg
    mark.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
brahtw8 said:
If you can find a 2004 M5, let me know . . .

IIRC, 2003 was the last year of the E39 M5. I also recall some official announcements when the last E39 rolled off the assembly line.

I hit the wrong key....whoops. You know which one I meant though....still a bad boy of a car. ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMM!! :D

If only I could have the garage stocked like this all the time! :)

Attachments

• prime.jpg
    prime.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 141
Now THAT is a garage! Gorgeous!

Meeyatch1 said:
How was the 993TT?? Do you still have it?

It was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gave it back for the time being, it is sitting in the retail bay at TR, hasn't moved since I brought it back. it really looked like the NSX was sold but the buyer (my neighbor actually!) had credit history nightmares coming from the attic. Too bad, it would have been cool to have the car still live right next door :) As for the 993tt, I'm still unsure if I can justify the repair cost issues. It makes the NSX look like Kia maitenence. Nothing is "wrong" with it, but the Exchange thinks new intercooler hoses, a 30k service and possible clutch could be in order for a total of about 10k!!! Maybe an 03-04 C4S isn't looking so bad after all :)

Back