Identify this part! + pictures of the NSX i just got

godspeed01

Suspended
Hi there

Please share your NSX wisdom with me and tell me what this part is and does. The small rectangle in the center of the picture. Im guessing it is some ignition part.... :confused:

1.jpg

Here is the NSX i just got.

Just a few pictures.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

Just picture of my 2 supras for your enjoyment.:redface:

Red one is the TT supra 6 speed that i love :tongue: and the black one is the N/A Automatic im trying to sell :redface:
7.jpg

hey thanks in advance for your clearification of that part in picture one :tongue:
]

Re: IDENTIFY THIS PART! + pictures of the NSX i just got

godspeed01 said:
Hi there

Please share your NSX wisdom with me and tell me what this part is and does. The small rectangle in the center of the picture. Im guessing it is some ignition part.... :confused:
]

I believe that is the fuel pump resistor used to reduce pump voltage.

Ok the person before me had this disconnected and wired with a paper clip. Car runs good so i guess they didnt want the car to be fuel starved? Is there any downside to have this thing unplugged and wired with paper clip?

Also something else that has been seriously troubleing me.

The battery light flashes on intermittenly when the car is under electric load such when the car has the A/C + lights + fans.

It is most noticable when im past 5000 RPM. The battery light will flash pretty furiously.

Here is the tricky part. The Voltmeter shows the alternator putting out a CONSISTANT 14 volts and the battery is at 12 Volts when the car is off. The battery is brand new. I just got it changed cause i thought that might fix it. Walmart gave me a 450 cold cranking battery and it costed about 40$. The guy at autozone said it is too small for this the acura with the V6. What do you guys think?

I got the alternator tested at AUTOZONE under load and the alternator works fine. The highest draw they did on the alternator is over 80 AMPS.

The belt is on pretty snug and i dont believe the belt is sliping. The guy at autozone also agrees that it is on snug. How much deflection should i expect when i push the middle point on the alternator belt concidering that the belt is very long. Also the light flickers at 2000 rpm... so dont think it would be slippage.

The battery tested good also.

The speed sensor on my car also got broke on the way home. I took it apart to clean it and did not work. The speed sensor broke after the battery light was flashing.... could the speed sensor brake due to this? I dont want to put in a new one only to have it brake again.

Any advise on the flashing battery light would be GREATLY and MOST SINCERELY apprecated. :redface:

godspeed01 said:
Ok the person before me had this disconnected and wired with a paper clip. Car runs good so i guess they didnt want the car to be fuel starved? Is there any downside to have this thing unplugged and wired with paper clip?

The fuel pump resistor reduces the output of the fuel pump so it does not overwhelm the fuel pressure regulator. Assuming the resistor good it should not be bypassed. The most common causes to run with it bypassed would be a clogged fuel filter or a weak fuel pump. I would reconnect the resistor and see if the car runs and if it does install a new fuel filter and see what happens.

Congratulations on your new NSX - now please get rid of that wing, decals, and get those side skirts painted - your car will really appreciate it.

godspeed01 said:
The battery light flashes on intermittenly when the car is under electric load such when the car has the A/C + lights + fans.

It is most noticable when im past 5000 RPM. The battery light will flash pretty furiously.

Here is the tricky part. The Voltmeter shows the alternator putting out a CONSISTANT 14 volts and the battery is at 12 Volts when the car is off. The battery is brand new. I just got it changed cause i thought that might fix it. Walmart gave me a 450 cold cranking battery and it costed about 40$. The guy at autozone said it is too small for this the acura with the V6. What do you guys think?

I got the alternator tested at AUTOZONE under load and the alternator works fine. The highest draw they did on the alternator is over 80 AMPS.

The belt is on pretty snug and i dont believe the belt is sliping. The guy at autozone also agrees that it is on snug. How much deflection should i expect when i push the middle point on the alternator belt concidering that the belt is very long. Also the light flickers at 2000 rpm... so dont think it would be slippage.

The battery tested good also.

The first thing I noticed was that the charging voltage at 14 and the battery voltage at 12 are a little low. The battery just sitting should be about 13.2 and charging it should be about 14.8. I would suspect a bad voltage regulator or bad conections to the voltage regulator which is not all that unlikelly with the hack repair on the fuel pump resistor. :wink:

Cairo94507 said:
Congratulations on your new NSX - now please get rid of that wing, decals, and get those side skirts painted - your car will really appreciate it.

I agree with the wing and decals. However, I think the side skirts are CF(?) and probably look better being exposed, kinda like the hood.

Cairo94507 said:
I agree. Paint the hood, too!

godspeed01 said:

Is the engine is naturally aspirated, there should be no reason to disconnect the fuel pump regulator. In fact there could be a downside to simply having a paper clip inserted into the connection. If that paper clip falls out, there will be an "open" in the electrical circuit and the fuel pump will shut off. Not a bad thing while the engine is at idle in the driveway, but hitting a bump on the freeway at 70 MPH.....yikes.

Hey, I thought you decided not to get this car. How did you get it home from Houston?

Briank said:
The first thing I noticed was that the charging voltage at 14 and the battery voltage at 12 are a little low. The battery just sitting should be about 13.2 and charging it should be about 14.8. I would suspect a bad voltage regulator or bad conections to the voltage regulator which is not all that unlikelly with the hack repair on the fuel pump resistor. :wink:

You might want to reconsider some of this advice.

Static voltage for a fully charged lead-acid car battery is 12.6 volts.
Static voltage for a single lead-acid cell is 2.1 volts. In a car battery there are 6 of them wired in series. 6 x 2.1 = 12.6.

With the engine running and the alternator in working order, anything over 12.6 volts would be considered charging the battery - depending on engine speed and discharge state of the battery.
Typically, voltage regulators are set to 14.0 volts give or take a few tenths. Anything higher than 14.4 volts will start to boil off the electrolyte in the battery.

Here is a good source of charging system information...

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq5.htm#light

Hope this helps.

HI Kinan

Ya i am reconcidering the advice on the VR.

14V is a pretty good change. Anything too high above that from what i know is a fault VR which can run too high or too low for a stock alt. I get about 12 V on the battery. That is what they are suppose to out put. Im dont have a super duper high quality one so it is not suppose to out put 13Volts.

CF stuff looks better in person then in the picture due to the reflection. The wing works and looks good. So it stays and so does every other part of the car :wink:

Ya i was deciding not to get the car but i talked to the owner over the phone and the machanic in san diago that dropped in the new engine and i was set at ease. Car runs great with a few fixes ill need to address but no worries. Just some elbow grease. Besides i like getting to know new cars. I just changed the oil last night with only one lift and wrote up my 10 minute oil change procedures ... nsxprime got mad cause it was dangerous advise.. :wink: i'll get the car tip top in about 2 weeks.

Ya he did say something about the fuel filter needing to be changed. Probably all cloged up. So i'll get that done.

The paper clip is electrical taped togeather so wont fall out :biggrin:

anyone else have some thoughts on the battery light?

AUTOZONE tested the crap out of the battery and alternator and it checked out.

Will a bad main relay cause these problems?

Thanks again

Last edited:

I would just still be very leary of anything in the engine compartment being paper clipped together. Even if it(tape) doesn't 'let go' it isn't supposed to be in there to begin with. Does the prior owner know how or why the clip is in there to start with? In order to have it back in tip top condition, you obviously are going to have to find out what it's there and fix whatever it is a band-aid on right now.
Good luck with it.

The paperclip will let the stock fuel pump run on a slightly higher voltage, on the SC set of comptech the fuelpump runs on much higher voltage, so no worrys here.

If in doubt of a clogged fuel filter always replace, leaving it can lead to SERIOUS engine damage !!

The blinking of the battery light is caused by the alternator, the brush or regulator. I always advise to replace it for a rebuild to get rid of this problem. (Ask for warranty on the rebuild ! )

Please put the original spoiler back on, I also aggree on the paint jobs....sorry!

Congratuations with your NSX.

cool :)

thanks for the update. I looked around and didnt find a place with the fuel filter.

Hey! I think the check voltage light is gone..... well... maybe..... I was going to drive it quicker but some cop saw me :frown: He pulled a U, I found a place, parked my car and walked home :frown:

I'll test it tonight to see if the light still turns on. But it looked good on that one last pull i did before i had to walk home.

Any more advice on the battery light?

:frown:

Congrats on the purchase!!!

What did you end up paying for it? And is it correct that its an auto? (I saw it on autotrader last night for 21,000...) Anyhow, it looks like a great platform to improve on and clean up a bit!

Isn't that a Honda injector resistor box? It's for peak and hold style honda injectors..if the injectors have been changed to saturated it's no longer needed. That's on other Honda Motors I know..looks like the exact same thing here..

update!

Hey my speedometer was working today for about 3 miles..... UM... i dont think the speed sensor is broken.

What else would cause the speed0meter to not work?

The check battery light was dancing like a fairy when i got the car up to higher rpms. :(

Im pooped out of ideas.

godspeed01 said:
update!

Hey my speedometer was working today for about 3 miles..... UM... i dont think the speed sensor is broken.

What else would cause the speed0meter to not work?

The check battery light was dancing like a fairy when i got the car up to higher rpms. :(

Im pooped out of ideas.

alright the same two things happened to me at about the same time, but it was on a totally different car (ford). My Speed Sensor wires had been chewed on by mice that had made a nest inside my car under the hood, so the wire was kinda connected and kinda not. And my batt light was flashing at high RPMs and shortly after that the alternator just died, after I had replaced the belt of course.
This is probably worthless info so I'll apologize in advance, but I thought it was weird that the same thing happened to me.

Dear godspeed01,

I have a feeling you acted on emotion and picked up a really neglected NSX. What ever the price you saved on the purchase- you'll make up for the repair. The worst thing you can do is repair with bits and pieces laying around your garage.

We are all shooting in the dark trying to figure out the solutions. As a starter, please do the car a favor and take it to the dealer or a well known NSX shop and have them diagnose the problems.

Vizal said:
Dear godspeed01,

I have a feeling you acted on emotion and picked up a really neglected NSX. What ever the price you saved on the purchase- you'll make up for the repair. The worst thing you can do is repair with bits and pieces laying around your garage.

We are all shooting in the dark trying to figure out the solutions. As a starter, please do the car a favor and take it to the dealer or a well known NSX shop and have them diagnose the problems.

In godspeed's defense... He didn't know it was neglected; he's in a pineapple at the bottom of the sea. :biggrin:

Back