I think it looks UGLY!

rickysals said:
I love the Z4! Sexy car.

I suppose there's no accounting for bad taste.

Clown shoe:
bigshoe.jpg

BWM Z4:
bmw-z4-side-scenic-300-204.jpg

bigshoe.jpg

z4m6gv3.jpg

lol... Classic! How could you take anyone seriously driving that!

The whole BMW car line-up is absolutely disgusting these days! How could they get it sooo wrong???

From this:
og05bmw507j57.jpg

15435_1024.jpg

To this: :eek:

9coupe800.jpg

7841-2000-BMW-M%20Coupe.jpg

bmw_z4_coupe_2.jpg
imgp0005_1.jpg

geneve-bmw-z4-coupe-2b.jpg

Skylark said:
Without any explanation, justification, reasoning, or defense, name what you consider to be the ugliest cars on the road today. Three that immediately come to mind for me are:

1) Pontiac Aztek (Not really a "car" ---and no longer in production--- but ugly enough to make any list at any time!)
2) Mazda RX-8
3) BMW Z4
Just imagine pulling up to the lights next to an Aztek - and when the light turns green you matt it for only a few seconds until all you see is tail lights.:eek:

Yup. You guessed it. Your underpowered exotic just got blown out of the water by a Pontiac......:tongue:

AztekV803.jpg

Bigglezworth said:

That doesnt even look like an Aztek.

If the Aztek had looked like that from the factory... I don't believe i am about to say this but DAMN!

My list

BMW M coupe
the newest BMW 7- series
The latest BMW 5-series
Actually- all BMW's except the X5- but I am sure they will muck that up soon enough!
Audi TT
Honda Element
Honda Fit
350Z convertible
The last generation Z28 (bubble headlights- I prefered the recessed on that body style)
Any chrysler from the late 70's (exclude musclecars from the early 70's pre-75) or 80's
the last Ford Thunderbird
Agree with The Kid- the Buick Rendezvous is pretty nasty
The newest Toyota Camry
The Yaris
the scion Xb and Xc

there are more (lots more) but that is all I care to list right now

Last edited:
H-carWizKid said:
BMW M coupe
the newest BMW 7- series
The latest BMW 5-series
Actually- all BMW's except the X5- but I am sure they will muck that up soon enough!
Audi TT

Thank god there are different cars for different people and you aren't the guy picking what's in style...

The Audi TT is a work of art. Plain. Simple. Ask any designer. There really isn't a discussion.

I love the Bangle BMW's. The Z4 doesn't look like a shoe at all (um, what??), and to say all the cars to come out of a certain region are ugly is just ignorant. The Z4 has nearly identical proportions to an S2000, just a slightly larger car, with smaller rear overhang. If a Z4 looks like a clown shoe then we have to throw in Honda's pride, the S2000.

I can see how the Z3 coupe is hit/miss with people... I found it ugly in photos but striking in person. I'd buy one tomorrow if I had the money.

I guess I'm just a little more "new-school" than most of you :wink: :tongue:

Bigglezworth said:
Just imagine pulling up to the lights next to an Aztek - and when the light turns green you matt it for only a few seconds until all you see is tail lights. Yup. You guessed it. Your underpowered exotic just got blown out of the water by a Pontiac.

Yeah... An incredibly ugly Pontiac... (And "ugly" is only one thing that it's got going against it.)

rickysals said:
Thank god there are different cars for different people and you aren't the guy picking what's in style...

The Audi TT is a work of art. Plain. Simple. Ask any designer. There really isn't a discussion.

I love the Bangle BMW's. The Z4 doesn't look like a shoe at all (um, what??), and to say all the cars to come out of a certain region are ugly is just ignorant. The Z4 has nearly identical proportions to an S2000, just a slightly larger car, with smaller rear overhang. If a Z4 looks like a clown shoe then we have to throw in Honda's pride, the S2000.

Hey- the name of the topic is I think it looks UGLY! :tongue:

You hit the nail on the head without knowing it when you mentioned that it is good that I don't get to pick what is "in style". One person NEVER gets to pick what is "In Style" Popular culture picks that, and guess what, popular culture has proved they can be WAY wrong.

There are a LOT of fads that are embarressing in hindsight. Ask any 30 yr old woman who her favorite New Kid was, or explain the former popularity of Spandex Bicycle shorts... :eek:

Popular culture can be finicky too. Example: If you buy a 2006 BMW- in 2007 you have last years BMW-
but if you bought a 1970 Boss 302 instead- next year you have a 1970 Boss 302- and every year after that. It is timeless. Just like an NSX is an NSX, and always will be an NSX. Timeless.

For that exact reason I don't follow "fads", and I generally don't pick things just because they are "in style" at the moment. Instead I look for timeless designs that will be "cool" for the long term. It is a better investment strategy. :cool:

Many of the BMW owners I know bought based on status (trend), and know little to nothing about design. They just wanted the badge. I know very few enthusiasts who given the choice between two would embrace the Z4 when compared to the more conventional design of the last generation M3, or any BMW from the 90's. This is why I highly doubt that in the "someday" any of Bangles designs will be considered timeless- instead they will serve as reminders of the trendiness of popular culture, like the above mentioned bicycle shorts... :frown:

I agree- no single person's taste is difinitive, and that is a good thing for a person such as yourself, but I would counter that there are many ( but not all) who don't like the Bangle BMWs. IMO- Too many attempts to add drama to the line makes for a car that compares to a soap opera.

The reason people compare the Z3 / Z4 to clown shoes is a dimension entirely seperate from length, and wheel overhang- it is the dramatic verticle curve in the body line as it travels over the front wheels, and the round front fascia. These are the same areas that drew that comparison with the first gen Viper, and Viper GTS. In the Z4 it is FAR more appropriate. The long hood, with the cockpit oriented toward the rear and the short trunk deck complete the equation.

It compares to the big round tow cap of the elongated shoes worn by those make-up wearing funnymen. :wink:

The S2000 you took a poke at does not have that kind of curve over the front wheels- instead it has a straighter, more "arrow", or triangular appearence, due to the straight bodyline that begins at the trunk and travels the length of the car, only interupted by the horizontal front fender flares. In overhead the "flares" in the front fenders accentuate the arrow motiffe.

Aren't you a student of design? Could you really NOT see that? :rolleyes:

IMO the Audi TT looks like a beetle (insect)- just add legs. I don't like beetles (insects, or cars) either. God designed the Beetle (insect) but I think we can agree to disagree.

Just my opinion, I understand if you prefer the opinion of "any designer".:rolleyes:

You know- a Designer designed all of the following...
rickysals said:
Some that stick out to me as poor design:
Saturn Ion
Subaru SVX
Ford Mustang (94-98)
Chevy HHR (just because they can't think for themselves)
Corvette C4
Chevy Impala, MonteCarlo, Malibu Maxx
Dodge Caravan, Sprinter
Mercedes Benz G500, any benz station wagon
Lamborghini Murcielago convertible
Kia Amante
Everything Buick sells right now
Escalade, any generation

but for some reason you feel no desire to defend THEIR product...

Thank god YOU don't make the choices. There are many people who truely LOVE the cars in YOUR list.

How about this? can we just respect each others right to an opinion?

I am good at arguing, but I'm better at that. :biggrin:

Philip

Last edited:
Skylark said:
Yeah... An incredibly ugly Pontiac... (And "ugly" is only one thing that it's got going against it.)
Geesh. Tough crowd. Production Aztek hands down one of the ugliest going. 650hp Aztek from hell though - pretty sweet. Your cander simply suggests you aren't as open minded to a more muscle type of automobile vs. a the sleek Italian styling of an NSX. That is fine as opinions are what makes us all different. I live for both types of cars so for me its fine.

Hugh, where do you see this? The only quote I can find attributed to Panke is:
"Helmut Panke, the BMW chairman, admits now that BMW got the 8-series wrong,"

Hugh said:
Those are even worse. Face it, German cars are universally ugly. It's a fact of life. Even BMW's Chairman, Helmut Panke admits they're ugly.

rickysals said:
The Z4 has nearly identical proportions to an S2000. If a Z4 looks like a clown shoe then we have to throw in Honda's pride, the S2000.

HUH???? What's proportion got to do with pretty vs. ugly? I bet there are some really unattractive women with "nearly identical" proportions to, say, Halle Berry (or anyone else you might prefer to think of as hot). IMO, the Z4 is stone ugly and the S2000 is rather attractive. I don't care what the similarities of their proportions are. :rolleyes:

I liked the Z3 coupe, I think the Audi TT was striking when it debuted (now it seems ho-hum, but perhaps still a work of art in the same sense that the New Beetle is), and I think the new BMWs are uniformly ugly, with the exception being the 6 series convertible. :smile:

Bigglezworth said:
Production Aztek hands down one of the ugliest going. 650hp Aztek from hell though - pretty sweet. Your cander simply suggests you aren't as open minded to a more muscle type of automobile vs. a the sleek Italian styling of an NSX. That is fine as opinions are what makes us all different. I live for both types of cars so for me its fine.

Because I think any kind of Aztek is godawfully ugly, you infer that to mean that I'm not open to appreciating muscle cars?

Great logic.:rolleyes:

Skylark said:
Without any explanation, justification, reasoning, or defense, name what you consider to be the ugliest cars on the road today. Three that immediately come to mind for me are:

Based on the last several posts- It looks like we are straying from the spirit of the thread...

H-carWizKid said:
Based on the last several posts- It looks like we are straying from the spirit of the thread...

Agreed... Thanks!:smile:

rickysals said:

I can see how the Z3 coupe is hit/miss with people... I found it ugly in photos but striking in person. I'd buy one tomorrow if I had the money.

I guess I'm just a little more "new-school" than most of you :wink: :tongue:

Ricky, as always you supported Bangle. So, as always, I'm here to tell you that you are smoking crack. :biggrin: BMW and Mercedes have traded places for the ugliest cars in prodution. And somehow, Audi is getting better and better. While the TT is art on wheels, the RS4 is surely sex on wheels.

And where the heck did that BAD ASS Aztec come from? There is a bet I would have lost some money on!

OK... This is too funny. With all the debate over what's ugly and what's not I decided to look elsewhere and see what other people were citing as the ugliest cars. I did a Google search for "ugliest car". That's it... Just "ugliest car". Among the first 3 returns was the site for Car Talk, the Public Radio show featuring Tom & Ray. They ran a poll and their readers/listeners voted. Results here...

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/uglycar/winners.html

Check here, too!

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/wheels/221878_talk29.html

All in fun, all in fun...

Common people don't seem to like boxes on wheels, like the Element and Xb. I love them both. The Xb is a clever design of small space.

The 5 series is my least favorite Bangle design, so I won't go on and on about liking it. I don't dislike it, the M5 is quite nice I think but the watered down 5 versions don't stir my soul quite as much.

As for the Z4 debate - I understand what you are saying... (don't insult me as a designer, you just don't know what you're talking about) about the clown shoe - but I have to say I still don't see it. It sounds like a cheap excuse for people to say they don't like the car honestly. Whatever, more Z4's for me to buy someday.

I guess whatever piece is in NSX lovers that makes them love the NSX is also making them hate BMWs. I don't have that in me. I love the Z4 probably as much as the NSX on a design front, along with the TT.

Back