I need tire help. PLEASE! (track/street)

Re: Tire help. PLEASE!!!

Thanks... all this is starting to sound like a real headache. My goal in tracking is to become a better driver. Now I am looking at R compunds and I need new wheels. New wheels that clear a BBK may need new fenders. Then I need to address suspension and then of course, the oiling issues. Then I'm running much faster and need to think about the fact that I am throwing a 100K investment around the track with possibly no insurance coverage. It feels like it's getting a little out of hand. I'm going to do a few more track events in my car this year and I think I will just get a set of Z1's or AD08's and call it a day. Maybe I should take this car off this duty and get a cheaper track car. I'm not sure this is good duty for a 2005 NSX with 30K in mods. I wanted to learn how this car operates at or close to its limits and I have got a decent grasp of that now. I really appreciate all the input you guys have given me. Matt especially you, thanks for the candid email.

If I were you, I would definitely address the potential oiling issue before moving to R compounds. Especially because you're Comptech supercharged.

Thanks... all this is starting to sound like a real headache. My goal in tracking is to become a better driver. Now I am looking at R compunds and I need new wheels. New wheels that clear a BBK may need new fenders. Then I need to address suspension and then of course, the oiling issues. Then I'm running much faster and need to think about the fact that I am throwing a 100K investment around the track with possibly no insurance coverage. It feels like it's getting a little out of hand. I'm going to do a few more track events in my car this year and I think I will just get a set of Z1's or AD08's and call it a day. Maybe I should take this car off this duty and get a cheaper track car. I'm not sure this is good duty for a 2005 NSX with 30K in mods. I wanted to learn how this car operates at or close to its limits and I have got a decent grasp of that now. I really appreciate all the input you guys have given me. Matt especially you, thanks for the candid email.

Don't let it overwhelm you. If your TRUE goal is to become a better driver then just keep riding on street tires. I rode on street tires for over 5 years and have gotten to the point that I even give people who ride on R's a run for their money. Plus you can't go wrong cost wise.

imo, if you're really looking to be a better driver, upgrade the nut behind the wheel...

and as the Liquid said, if you're really considering going r comps, upgrade the oil issues first.

I know I am in the minority and will probably p*ss off some people including the op but I don't feel you have enough experience to be these changes. The car already way beyond your level and you never really learned its limits or your own because you change the setup after each event. This is the last time you will hear me lecture you but I dont believe this is a safe way to further your abilities.

I know I am in the minority and will probably p*ss off some people including the op but I don't feel you have enough experience to be these changes. The car already way beyond your level and you never really learned its limits or your own because you change the setup after each event. This is the last time you will hear me lecture you but I dont believe this is a safe way to further your abilities.

Bob you aren't pissing anyone off. I need new tires. Old ones are worn. So I am trying to not be hasty and make a bad decision. I haven't changed any setup at all, I don't know what you are talking about. I have tracked my car the same way every time. In any event your opinion is welcome. I am leaning heavily towards just getting a set of Dunlop Z1's for now before the rebate ends and calling it a day until I have more track time. Then I have to make a decision whether I will continue to use this car or buy a piece of shit like yours and track it instead. :biggrin:

OP- don't feel bad for using the car for what's designed to do -> excel on the track. I started out with a few DEs and in 12 months logged more track time than I originally wanted to. Each time I learned more about the cars limit, my own abilities, and what mods to do next.

Last time I checked, there are no special driving requirements for purchasing a set of R-comps or slicks. Both will make you feel like a track hero. But warning, once you get a taste for the R-comps than you will never go back to street tires again!

But Doc, how is the steering feel changed? Do ride and steering feel go to shit?

Macattack, my car is garaged all winter long.

Well, now you are asking me a ? that is about equal to me asking you how those condoms you bought "feel". I think you are headed in the right direction as I read your later posts,again listen to what we told you in your other tire thread.BTW you may have woman figured out,with that book and all...but thankfuly you are'nt dating your car or else you'd be toast:wink:

BTW you may have woman figured out,with that book and all...but thankfuly you are'nt dating your car or else you'd be toast:wink:

LOL... I was going to say the same exact thing in the other thread. That I may be neo but I can't figure out shit when it comes to tires. :D

you don't need better tires to become a better driver, street tires are totally fine. however, you do need a safe and reliable car if you're gonna put it on the track and have fun, that's what the oil and brake upgrades are all about. if you've upped the HP then stock brakes *may* no longer be adequate, and any experienced driver will tell you that confidence in your brakes is a MUST. and with all that money spent on the motor a reliable auxillary oiling system is cheap insurance, r-comps or not. don't forget temps - you need to be sure that they're not getting too high, fortunately additional water/oil cooling is fairly easy to add.

you don't need to modify fenders for a bbk, just make sure the wheels clear them. my volk 17/18 set clears my bbk with room to spare, no spacers or bodywork mods.

and yes, you've discovered the slippery slope that is track driving. three years ago i did my first event in my bone stock m3 sedan, today i have a track ready nsx, a miata backup car, a huge ass tow vehicle, trailer, helmets, driving suit, tools, etc. we don't equate it to drug use for nothing :)

Last time I checked, there are no special driving requirements for purchasing a set of R-comps or slicks.
+1

It is widely believed there is a significant "step" up to R-compound tires. This jump can be smaller than going from crappy street tires to top of the line High Performance street tires, and the difference between top level street tires and R-comps can be smaller than some may believe.

The Yokohama AD07 was roughly 1 second off of the Toyo R888 around a 2minute track in a fwd World Challenge Touring Car, with the 07 exhibiting better transitional stability and than the R888. The R888 had higher peak lateral and longitudinal grip but lacked in transitional stability and grip putting power down due to its rounder carcass. The AD08 has higher levels of peak grip but we havnt been able to make it out to back to back the 08 vs the 888. If the Japanese and US testing are an indicator, the 08 may be pretty close in performance to the 888.

More grip means higher cornering speeds, more demand on the oiling and brake system, and faster lap times. I believe improving your braking will yield better lap times than switching to R-comps but keep in mind when you start pushing your brakes, you might find the limitation of your current fluid and pads. That being said, I personally don't thing going to R-comps is going to be a life changing experience, so make your decision on convenience and what your goals are. Since you only track it/weekend drive it, R-comps have less negatives than if you daily drove it.

Hoosier R6? If you have a dedicated tow vehicle and track wheels, go with a Yokohama A005 like we run in the time attack events, which are seconds faster than the R6!

I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate all this input and how I am learning so much by what has turned out to be a great thread. Please don't refrain from expressing your opinion here, it is valuable to me and much appreciated.

To be totally honest, I don't push my car that hard at these events. It isn't for any reason other than fear. On the straights I usually coast the last part... at WGI I am at 125-130 on the back straight, and if I stay in it, I can pickup more speed. Heck even at tiny NHMS I coast at the tail end of the front straight, as I don't want any more speed.

Part of my desire to want the stickiest tire possible is not to go faster, it is that everytime I am at 120 MPH and coming into a turn, I imagine the only thing that is going to stop me is this tiny contact patch of a 215 section tire and what if.... I have this thing in my imagination that should something go wrong or I lose it some place, that the stickier tire is more likely to save my ass. I think some of you are thinking I am going 10/10ths and need more speed, but it really isn't that. If this is a messed up way of thinking then let me know. I am sweating to a certain extent everytime I am on the track and I think I may not even be insured (although my agent said I am). If I trash the car or have some sort of medical emergency, I will feel that none of this was worth it. Yet I am so hooked on being on the track... when I sit at the pits waiting for the flag to go in, it's like I am in heaven. I just want to get better and be safe. I am not looking to get some lap time or "beat" other cars (although it's fun as hell when I do pass nice cars).

You aren't alone with that line of thinking (as far as safety). I know several people (one of them is a prime member) who drive on R6's but don't go balls out... And that's fine b/c these are beautiful cars... the desire to preserve them is well understood.

If that's the case then sure, go get the super, uber tire and do whatcha gotta do.. :smile:

but the one thing I do want to mention is that speed.. is quite addicting.. :wink:

good luck sir,
xavier

I did notice you lifting off the gas really early with a light brake effort. The first step is getting more seat time and comfortable behind the wheel. Pick your eyes up and look further down the road or further through a corner, this will give you less of a sensation of speed. Looking too close makes it seem like you are going faster than you are, look ahead and focus on the track further in the distance. A goof instructor can help with this but be aware/cautious that there are many "instructors" who give terrible advice.

Once you get more comfortable, work up to being full throttle until the point where you go to threshold braking, this is what I was talking about.

215s still stop the car perfectly fine. Yes Rcomps and wider 235s will give you more deceleration grip, but you won't be able to tell the difference since theirs far more left on the table in terms of hitting the middle pedal harder and later. The nsx is very capable, get the seat time, comfort, and instruction to work on those brake zones. I already gave you a few safe corners to practice on at WGI.

Billy

I have this thing in my imagination that should something go wrong or I lose it some place, that the stickier tire is more likely to save my ass. I think some of you are thinking I am going 10/10ths and need more speed, but it really isn't that. If this is a messed up way of thinking then let me know. I am sweating to a certain extent everytime I am on the track and I think I may not even be insured (although my agent said I am). If I trash the car or have some sort of medical emergency, I will feel that none of this was worth it. Yet I am so hooked on being on the track... when I sit at the pits waiting for the flag to go in, it's like I am in heaven. I just want to get better and be safe. I am not looking to get some lap time or "beat" other cars (although it's fun as hell when I do pass nice cars).

First, let me restate the recommendation you were given in the previous tire thread. Some these posts are getting way ahead of what you asked IMHO. But I suspect you are shopping for a post that will reinforce what you want to do.

Now, here is my other recommendations based on the statement above

1) There is only so much of safety precautions you can take; tracking has inherent risk to it. If you are risk averse, you shouldn't be on the track.

2) If you can't stomach that there is a probability that an incident might happen at the track with you and your car involved at some point - this is a pure statistical fact - then you shouldn't be on the track.

3) Assuming you can stomach (2), but can't afford to total the NSX if the insurance doesn't cover it, then again you shouldn't be on the track and this irrespective of what heavens you see with track addiction or no addiction.

Now the real recommendation; nothing ventured nothing gained. Take it out and stop over analyzing this. And still my $0.02, you are not ready for R compound yet given the amount of track time you have stated; the car has so much more with good street tires.

YMMV.

Last time I checked, there are no special driving requirements for purchasing a set of R-comps or slicks. Both will make you feel like a track hero.

No, but it does make you look like a dumb ass when you have mongo wide slicks on a supercharged Aerial Atom and you are getting lapped by a 192hp Civic with 225's. Ugly stuff. :cool: :frown: :biggrin:

Sure, there are plenty of faster dry tires with ever shorter life cycles and narrower envelops. Another setup with more grip. However, until you are getting the most out of what you already have, it just really doesn't matter. In a HPDE context, who cares if a tire is 1 second faster at SubaTubaWuba? New/Used/Corded/DOT/Slick my guesstimate 95/100 the simple fact becomes that the limiting factor is driver, not the tire, so anything beyond the minimum is just a waste of money. In many cases the lap-times won't change at all, and even if they do it will be due to an increase in driver confidence not traction. The faster tire might well make the car a little faster, but it certainly isn't doing anything to make them any faster which should be the goal.

Call me old-fashioned here, but unless someone just has a lot of money to burn (which I readily recognize there is a crap ton of that out there in this sport) I think working your way up is the better/safer approach here. Putting someone in their first year out on R6's or on a racing slick sounds pretty ridiculous to me and an invitation to disaster. My concern is that they will either not get them up to temp, or they will feel like they are on rails, and the only good I can see coming from either is getting the grass in the in-field mowed.

Another point is that going fast is great, but that extra 1-2-3-5-10 mph is a lot of extra momentum to carry the car on an off, so my perspective here is that it is safer to learn the basic theory and car control skills / pushing the limits / make the mistakes at the slower speeds. More predictable tire characteristics and better feedback are also arguably the better match with the inevitably slower reaction times and insecurities characteristic of new drivers.

So I am trying to not be hasty and make a bad decision.

As to the tires, my plug here is to just get a decent set of good condition track tires in make-sense sizes that won't break the bank, and focus on getting the seat time you need above all else. When it comes to competition tires I often use take-offs for practice and test days at 1/4 the price with a few heat cycles on them. There is an old saying that if you can't win on used tires, the problem probably isn't the tire. When I was doing the street/track thing at DE's I used to look for clearance sales on older models. At this point you just need to buy seat time, not maximum performance.

As to the compound, from your usage description, then non-withstanding the grip/$ ratio I think the extreme performance street rubber is just fine. If you want to step it up, probably an intermediate competition radial like a RA1, or the NT-01 would be fine given the fact that you are really only driving to and from the track. I personally don't care for the 615's road racing (an auto-cross tire, they tend to get greasy). On the more aggressive side the A048's tend to heat cycle out very quickly on the street. The R6's I don't really consider a street-able option by any rationale measure. I can't advise you on every compound, the fact is that their are a lot of options out there that will probably do well for you at this point.

Then I have to make a decision whether I will continue to use this car or buy a piece of shit like yours and track it instead. :biggrin:

HPDE's are supposed to be about driver development, not dick meisering. I would shy away from the increasingly pervasive HPDE culture of out-spending the next guy, because in the end they both look like a bunch of dumb asses.

Having gone down this road myself (having also had a late model NSX as my first track car), I can tell you that while a very capable & enjoyable sports car, it really isn't a great learning car. Your learning curve in an NSX is going to be orders of magnitude steeper than that of your friend in his piece of shit that he isn't afraid to walk away from. You'll push harder, afford more seat time, and learn most all the same principles cheaper, faster, and better in the POS. If you can learn to drive a slow car fast and make your mistakes there, you'll be in a much better position to take advantage when you step back into your NSX. For the cost of a season of rotors and tires, let alone the CTSC - you should be able to find something more than suitable at some point.

Last edited:

Another vote for sticking with street tires. I drove on Bridgestone S03's for 4 years before upgrading to RA1's. I was in the Red run group and basically the only one on street tires.

I would just go with the Falkens' for now.

P.S. get an Accusump.:wink:

John- The OP already has $100K+ into his car (and the money to track it). Sure a great driver will lap him in a spec miata or civic, but he sounds just like another track junkie looking for ways to improve. And tires is just another way (just like his CTSC, BBK, etc.). Agreed, the driver's skill level is the determining factor.

Besides, a pair of good street tires vs. Rcomps cost just about the same these days - so why not upgrade? The learning curve is not that steep. Plus, going offroad, spinning, and "lawn mowing" can be viewed as great learning experiences. So much gloom-n-doom opinions, the poor guy's gonna get intimidated to death (over tires?).

Remember, "the expert in anything was once a beginner."

P.S. Get an Accusump.

Last edited:

John- The OP already has $100K+ into his car (and the money to track it). Sure a great driver will lap him in a spec miata or civic, but he sounds just like another track junkie looking for ways to improve. And tires is just another way (just like his CTSC, BBK, etc.). Agreed, the driver's skill level is the determining factor.

Besides, a pair of good street tires vs. Rcomps cost just about the same these days - so why not upgrade? The learning curve is not that steep. Plus, going offroad, spinning, and "lawn mowing" can be viewed as great learning experiences. So much gloom-n-doom opinions, the poor guy's gonna get intimidated to death (over tires?).

Remember, "the expert in anything was once a beginner."

P.S. Get an Accusump.
+1 although I don't believe the OP has a BBK.

Don't get overwhelmed, it isn't the end of the world. The first step is to look at your budget and car and see if you want to spend the money for wider wheels and tires and the change in looks of the car. From there either go with R-comps or good street tires, which have close to similar prices and levels of grip. For your application either would be fine, but street tires might last longer so I might recommend going with that.

If your insurance company says you are good (for non-timed, non-competition track days) you are probably good. The nsx has great driving dynamics, get more seat time and work on your craft as a driver and have fun.

Invest in an oil temp and pressure gauge and accusump and baffle, and do more track days to get more comfortable behind the wheel. Enjoy your car! They are wonderful to drive on a track.

Billy

John- The OP already has $100K+ into his car (and the money to track it). Sure a great driver will lap him in a spec miata or civic, but he sounds just like another track junkie looking for ways to improve. And tires is just another way (just like his CTSC, BBK, etc.).

So, then improve.

The counter argument being presented here is that if you've already spent 75K on the sports car, then another 40K in performance customizations, then some more money for the faster track tires makes sense? You see a pattern? I suppose I'm not clear by what measure this is improving, but ok. I would agree that it is clearly improving the car if that was what you meant. :tongue:

I've heard most all the excuses/self justifications why more/better go-fast equipment is necessary to buy, and come up with many new ones on my own you've probably never heard. Recognize it for what they are- just excuses. It's always hardest to look inward.

If the real problem is braking zones, then just solve for the braking zones.

Besides, a pair of good street tires vs. Rcomps cost just about the same these days?

Is it?

Track tires are generally going to wear at an accelerated rate. As the OP figured out, it will probably also be an Accusump and pan. That means regularly filling an 8qt system. Then another set of wheels, then an SUV to haul those. Then the trailer arrives. Then maintenance too. Higher cornering forces could result in higher ware on suspension components, later braking means using more brake pads/rotors, etc... it all adds up.

They call it the go fast crack pipe for good reason. It's just that easy to get hooked. Speed costs money, and the faster you want the car to go the more it is going to cost to maintain. So long as ones budget can handle all the excitement, then their are no worries, you get to go as fast whenever, and as long as you want.

The learning curve is not that steep. Plus, going offroad, spinning, and "lawn mowing" can be viewed as great learning experiences.

Maybe, maybe not.

So long as you don't find anything hard in a 2005 NSX-T while you doing your mowing and learning the dynamics of a new tire, then sure. Otherwise learning experiences becomes singular, not plural and I would guess the curve would look like your BP & portfolio.

I would either buy and gut an old NSX or better yet, a C5 ZO6 for a track car. You can enjoy them more without worrying about your very nice '05.

C5 ZO6's are cheap and fun to drive.

Dave

you don't need to modify fenders for a bbk, just make sure the wheels clear them. my volk 17/18 set clears my bbk with room to spare, no spacers or bodywork mods.

Jason

I just wanted to chime in and clarify that your RacingBrake "big brake kit" is completely different from a BBK from Stoptech or even Brembo. The clearing factor is the caliper itself for rims. RB's setup utilizes the stock calipers. So, it is a lot easier to have a set of wheels clear that setup without having to worry about rubbing your fenders terribly.

That's all.

I've heard most all the excuses/self justifications why more/better go-fast equipment is necessary to buy, and come up with many new ones on my own you've probably never heard. Recognize it for what they are- just excuses. It's always hardest to look inward.

+1 Point well taken. Tracking can be a very humbling experience if you're not prepared. I'm guilty of making those excuses to mod the car all the time because I feel that certain mods (ie. BBK, tires, pads) can certainly help with the learning curve.

OK...now back to the tire topic:smile:

I am sweating to a certain extent everytime I am on the track and I think I may not even be insured (although my agent said I am). If I trash the car or have some sort of medical emergency, I will feel that none of this was worth it.

Scan your policy and email it to me and I will let you know whether you have coverage. Don't believe your "agent" since they just want to sell you the policy to make the commissions on the renewals and may be concerned you will switch carriers if they give you the "wrong" answer. After all, they figure if you have to ask what your policy says then you haven't read it and they can say anything.

And get street tires.....

Back