I need some quick advice regarding a Ebay NSX purchase

The auction also states "Certified Pre-Owned". Wouldn't that mean that the car had to be inspected by an Acura dealer and have documentation to that effect? Ask them about that.

Last edited:
SangLee24-
No offense intended; didn't know you took a hit on one car to buy this car. Bad move in my opinion but we all do what we have to do. Up until I heard that the seller lied to you re the knowledge about the paint work, I was of the opinion it was not a big deal. However, given the apparent lie, (I can not abide a liar) I would be uncomfortable with the car too and move on to find the one thatis right for you. I am sure that you will find one. Good luck.

Yeah, I wouldnt consider it a lie without absolute proof, but if I were a betting man (which I am) I would bet that he lied.

Do not buy this car.

If you think that you have sellers guilt because you dumped the Lexus too soon, just wait until the buyers remorse hits after you purchase this NSX from this dealer.

Whether or not he lied about the condition of the car or was genuinely ignorant, the outcome is identical; this is not the car you bid on.

I agree Jay. I'm definitely not buying this car. Why is it so damn hard to find an honest dealer?

Well, here's a little update. I wrote an email to him as soon as I got home. I have received no reply yet. Here is what I wrote:

When I had decided to buy the car, I was under the assumption that the car was "Immaculate", and had no paint work done to it. I have found out today from another person that the rear valence was repainted. I am not a rich person by any means. I decided to splurge on the car of my dreams, provided that it was perfect. I had overlooked the front spoiler issue as it was minor, however, I cannot overlook the repaint of the rear. I, in all honesty, had every intention of buying the car from you but can no longer do so. If you decide to report me to Ebay officials, I will also do the same. In your ad, you claim that the car was in "excellent" condition. That is misleading at best. If the car was repainted, it is no longer in "excellent" condition. You also mention that there were "no known accidents". This is misleading as well. I know a person who went to your dealership and tried to buy the same car a couple months ago. He is the one who contacted me about the repaint issue. He has clearly conveyed to me that you knew about the repaint issue.
Kelly Blue Book defines "Excellent Condition" as the following ...

Excellent (Selected)
"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category."

This is obviously not the case. If you wish to pursue the matter further, please feel free to do so. I have proof of all that I have stated above. I am sorry that it had to come to this. I really wanted to buy the car but do not wish to do so any more.

It is probably just me, but if the car is Acura certified and one can determine that the only paint work the car had was the rear valance....(the part below the rear bumper), then I really think, if it were me, I would just renegotiate the price.

See if they can put you in touch with the original owner to verify what was done. Maybe he has the paperwork for the paint work.

It is tough to find an imaculate car in excellent condition that has not had some paint work if the party is honest. Mine has had the front and rear bumpers repainted due to idiots that can't park w/o bumping and I replaced the rear valance with an '02 valance so it had to be painted to match the car too. I consider my car to be very clean and in excellent condition. Regardless of what KBB says, if the car is not brand new, never driven, it is hard to find that car that has never had anything done.

Also in your response to the seller you say his car has been repainted....well not really true. The rear valance was repainted (apparently) and from your post it also appears the front lip was replaced or needs to be replaced. Again, that it nothing as well. It is impossible to drive these cars without the front lip rubbing the ground as you enter and exit some driveways. The part is about $100 for an '01 (not sure about an '03) and not a big deal to replace if memory serves me.

I guess it is hard to put emotion aside, but their mistake re the rear valance having been painted could result in a better deal for you, if you so choose. If the car is perfect aside from that, and I would have another Acura dealership do a PPI at this point, I would likely deal on it. Just my 25 cents worth. Good luck.

Cairo94507 said:
It is probably just me, but if the car is Acura certified and one can determine that the only paint work the car had was the rear valance....(the part below the rear bumper), then I really think, if it were me, I would just renegotiate the price.

See if they can put you in touch with the original owner to verify what was done. Maybe he has the paperwork for the paint work.

It is tough to find an imaculate car in excellent condition that has not had some paint work if the party is honest. Mine has had the front and rear bumpers repainted due to idiots that can't park w/o bumping and I replaced the rear valance with an '02 valance so it had to be painted to match the car too. I consider my car to be very clean and in excellent condition. Regardless of what KBB says, if the car is not brand new, never driven, it is hard to find that car that has never had anything done.

Also in your response to the seller you say his car has been repainted....well not really true. The rear valance was repainted (apparently) and from your post it also appears the front lip was replaced or needs to be replaced. Again, that it nothing as well. It is impossible to drive these cars without the front lip rubbing the ground as you enter and exit some driveways. The part is about $100 for an '01 (not sure about an '03) and not a big deal to replace if memory serves me.

I guess it is hard to put emotion aside, but their mistake re the rear valance having been painted could result in a better deal for you, if you so choose. If the car is perfect aside from that, and I would have another Acura dealership do a PPI at this point, I would likely deal on it. Just my 25 cents worth. Good luck.
The car is not acura certified. I'm not sure where that was stated in the ebay listing.

sanglee24 said:
The car is not acura certified. I'm not sure where that was stated in the ebay listing.

Certified, shmertified.
It's a sales tatic since the mid 90's.
Each manufacturer has it's own definition of "Certified" and limits are pushed because the dealer who determines if its "Certified" is the one who stands to profit from the sale.
Certified cars have an extension of the factory warranty not including previous repaired body damage or paint work, etc, etc. Certified cars from a random 3rd party used car dealer, usually, just have extended service contracts.
Don't ever buy a car "Certified" or any car for that matter without a PPI from a 3rd party.
I have looked at several "Certified" vehicles that were previous accident vehicles. I actually traded in a previous accident Acura ( they asked me if it was and I said, yes) Next week it was on the lot "Certified".

-j-

Why would painting the trim on the bumper cause the car to fall from "excellent" condition? If my car is currently considered to be in excellent condition, would it fall from that rating if I chose to paint the black plastic front lip? Unless the car was involved in some sort of collision that caused damage to the bumper, I wouldn't consider it to be that big of a deal. Of course, it's your hard earned money at stake.

Well that is what I have been saying. Then again $55K +- is a relative amount depending upon one's situation. So I support SangLee's choice to pass on that car and continue his search. I just hope the car he finds and buys is as perfect as the one he seeks.

MoogieBoogie said:
Why would painting the trim on the bumper cause the car to fall from "excellent" condition? If my car is currently considered to be in excellent condition, would it fall from that rating if I chose to paint the black plastic front lip? Unless the car was involved in some sort of collision that caused damage to the bumper, I wouldn't consider it to be that big of a deal. Of course, it's your hard earned money at stake.

I agree, not a big deal if thats the only work that has been done. But the dealer lied and usually with dealers a small lie turns into a big one.
I was just giving him a way out of the purchase if he wanted to.

-j-

Listing says that is original paint.....if it has had any paint work at all the car has been misrepresented and your bid contract would be considered void by ebay once pointed out....ask The Kid what he would pay at his dealership for the car taken in on trade and offer them 100 over that:smile:

Back