I need some quick advice regarding a Ebay NSX purchase

It just came to my attention that an 03 NSX that I had won on Ebay might have had some damage on the rear bumper and was repainted. I may be jumping the gun here but I have no desire to pay a small fortune on something that was damaged. One of the most important prerequisites for me was to buy a newer NSX that was flawless. In hindsight, I should have posted the car info here and made a decision before I won the car on Ebay. I just wanted to make everyone clear that I had all intentions of buying this car, as I just sold my Lexus 2 days ago. I am no flaker and have 100% feedback on Ebay. I had ran a carfax on it and it came up clean. I had asked the seller if there was any damage or anything and he said the only damage was to the front black spoiler, which is a minor issue that I could live with as I could replace it for cheap. At no time did he mention that the rear bumper was repainted. If this is the case, I will not buy the car. This brings me to my next question. What will happen if I decide not to buy it? I already "won" the car on ebay by agreeing to an offer. I have not sent any money to the company. I was going to send them a $1k deposit today but may hold off unless I hear otherwise. Any advice? Thank you for reading.

dont send the depost.

tell the guy he miss represented the car. take the negative feedback and leave one for him.

your not flaking if he lied about the condition of the car.

Also i had a car which was clean car fax. upon inspection it had front end damage so i would stay away. :smile:

RON98 said:
i would stay away. :smile:
I agree...its not worth getting a car thats already in an accident. I would definitely have an inspection to make sure its true and go from there!!

RON98 said:
dont send the depost.

tell the guy he miss represented the car. take the negative feedback and leave one for him.

:

Yep ^^
If you asked the seller about damage, current and/or previous, and he said there is/was none, then you are not obligated to pay.

-j-

Are there any other repercussions other than negative feedback? Can I be sued because I didnt purchase it?

sanglee24 said:
Are there any other repercussions other than negative feedback? Can I be sued because I didnt purchase it?

Yes you can. It is tough to prove they intended to mislead you. If they want to mess with you - they can. They will probably write a letter and try to scare you and then drop it. If you are that concerned you can consult an attorney but bottom line they can sue you for the purchase price + legal fees and you would have to defend yourself and counter sue for your legal fees.

If I were you I would try to figure out how bad it is and try to work something out with them.

I would call them and ask them about the rear bumper, perhaps you could negotiate the price down, and reach a mutually beneficial arrangement - this is assuming it's a quality repaint, which I suppose you could only truely be comfortable with if you were able to inspect it in person.

If you're absolutely set on not buying the car call them, tell them why you're no longer interested, push the fact they knew about the repaint but didn't disclose this information to you (in your other thread a prime member mentions mentioning this info to them a few months ago), and say you have no intention of buying the vehicle.

Another member here pointed out that the rear valence should have some black paint in it. Apparently, the rear valence is all silver, and that is not how it came from the factory.

sanglee24 said:
No, they can't do anything if the listing stated the vehicle was never in an accident or his email replies said it never was.

Most pre-sale initial Q and A is email and usually the first question is always if the vehicle ever been in an accident or had bodywork. Hopefully you have the email answers saved as solid proof. If not, I'd bet one of the other bidders asked this question via email and you could get the reply from them, if you can get their eBay ID from eBay as they hide them now.

Can we have a link to the auction to see the details he listed ?

-j-

Did anyone stop to think that the valence could have been painted just because the previous owner didn’t like the black and wanted it all one color. It sounds like everyone is assuming the bumper has been repainted due to an accident. Anyway you want to look at it; I would have had the car inspected before I purchased it, especially if I didn’t get to see the car myself in person.

Just my .02

Even if they did take actual legal action (big if) and if they did win (bigger if, considering, as you say, the seller misrepresnted that condition) a lawsuit against you, the most you could be held responsable for would be legal expenses and the actual cost of the Ebay listing.

Thanks guys. I feel much better. To be honest, I dont really care about the reasons of the repaint. If it was repainted, and it sure looks that way, I will not buy the car. I suppose my ebay rating will either take a hit or I will get booted off from ebay:(

It's possible the seller didn't know about the rear valance being painted (that is unless he is the original owner).

Keep in mind that you have some evidence that the rear valence has been painted/modified. I don't see anything in your post about evidence that the car has been in an accident and/or the entire bumper being replaced.

You should talk it over w/ seller and get the scoop before making any quick decisions.

First off I hate eBay dealers (or any for that matter) that do this.
He knows it's had work, he's a dealer, they all do.

So, this is all you need if you decide not to take it.

On his listing he clearly states that the vehicle is in "Excellent Condition".

His listing also contains a section for Vehicle Values for the bidders to use, where he placed a link for NADA as well as Kelly Blue Book.

Kelly Blue Book defines "Excellent Condition" as the following ...

Excellent (Selected)
"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category.

You clearly could have used this as a factor in your bidding leaving your bid invalid.

-jim-

This sounds a little like buyer's remorse to me....if all that is going on here is the rear bumper was repainted, and it was done correctly, big deal.

If you are concerned the paint job does not look good, negotiate that reapint as part of the deal- what $600-700 to remove and repaint it.

If you actually drive the car some moron is going to bump the bumper when parking sooner or later and scratch it. So long as it was not rear-ended, suffering damage to the car aside from the bumper cover being painted, who cares. Talk to the seller. Just becasue the cover was repainted does not mean it was in an accident.

It's your purchase, if this makes you uneasy about the car move on, the important result is to be satisfied with whatever nsx you end up purchasing... While this may be a minor issue, if it's something that puts you out of 'warm & fuzzy' range on this car, take a pass on the car. If you're worried about what the dealer may do, and you have not given a deposit, just call them up and be angry while you talk about how you discovered the valence was repainted, and the dealer knew it, but did not disclose that info to you. Worst case they're unresponsive, best case they appologize and offer to look for an alternative car for you. If it doesn't seem like it's going anywhere threaten their feedback - a buyer's feedback is a lot less important than that of a dealer, the dealership doesn't want a negative rating that mentions undisclosed paintwork on their ebay account.

jimmycinla said:
First off I hate eBay dealers (or any for that matter) that do this.
He knows it's had work, he's a dealer, they all do.

So, this is all you need if you decide not to take it.

On his listing he clearly states that the vehicle is in "Excellent Condition".

His listing also contains a section for Vehicle Values for the bidders to use, where he placed a link for NADA as well as Kelly Blue Book.

Kelly Blue Book defines "Excellent Condition" as the following ...

Excellent (Selected)
"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category.

You clearly could have used this as a factor in your bidding leaving your bid invalid.

-jim-

Jim,
Thank you so much for that info. Now, I have ammo to throw back at the dealer if he causes any problems.

Cairo94507 said:
This sounds a little like buyer's remorse to me....if all that is going on here is the rear bumper was repainted, and it was done correctly, big deal.

If you are concerned the paint job does not look good, negotiate that reapint as part of the deal- what $600-700 to remove and repaint it.

If you actually drive the car some moron is going to bump the bumper when parking sooner or later and scratch it. So long as it was not rear-ended, suffering damage to the car aside from the bumper cover being painted, who cares. Talk to the seller. Just becasue the cover was repainted does not mean it was in an accident.
Buyers remorse? I sold my Lexus two days ago and need a car. I sold the Lexus and took a huge hit as I had my heart set on a PERFECT nsx. I am not buying any other car other than an NSX. If you consider buyers remorse not wanting to follow through on a car that has potential damage, then so be it. I am not a rich person and $55k is a huge sum of money for me. If I spend $55k, it will be for a car that I perceive as perfect.

Sang, you need to wait and see what the dealer says about the repaint of the lower valence. If you want an NSX that is OEM, maybe you can have them paint the center portion black, or have them credit you back some money for you to have it corrected. As I stated in the other thread, this wouldn't stop me from buying the car if everything else checks out fine.

mickeylex said:
It's possible the seller didn't know about the rear valance being painted (that is unless he is the original owner)...

The seller clearly knew it was painted. I asked him about it the last week of September. :wink:

DocL said:
The seller clearly knew it was painted. I asked him about it the last week of September. :wink:

Ahh, he definitely lied to me then. I had called him and he stated that he was not aware of any repaints. Now, I definitely cannot trust him. Thank you so much Robert. If you any of you guys are in the Monterey, CA area, drinks are on me!

sanglee24 said:
Thanks guys. I feel much better. To be honest, I dont really care about the reasons of the repaint. If it was repainted, and it sure looks that way, I will not buy the car. I suppose my ebay rating will either take a hit or I will get booted off from ebay:(
you will not get booted of on ebay , the peson that wrote that was probably drunk and didnt do his homework to tell you the whole truth about the car , unless its ther you just missed it.

Back