I need some guidance (more college probs)

GQ NSX

Registered Member
Guys I think I made a mistake. I am going to be attending UOP(www.uop.edu) starting next monday. However I think I made a big mistake in that I'm staying in the same city, and not moving elsewhere. I really want to transfer, and I know I haven't experienced it yet, but I have been to UOP a lot for w/e reason (competitions etc) so I know it already.

I want to transfer somewhere in Southern California. So my question is..Do I really have to wait two years before I transfer? or would one year at UOP suffice for transfer admission?

Please help.. I feel so bad...:( :( :( Any help in the process would be great too, such as what to look for, how soon one can transfer, grade and gpa requirements. I went to a few college sites and I am just looking for some more "real" info.

I should have thought it out, but it was in the best interest of the family to stay in the city this year.

Any transfer advice would help guys,

ravi

I imagine it would depend on which school you deceide to transfer to, their requirements and whether it's a transfer as an undergrad or into a professional program. If you're doing your undergrad work at UOP and still trying to deceide on a major, there may be less expensive ways of getting the prereq's out of the way. Personal experience with this one.

Is the because SoCal has better schools for what you're interested in? You may wish to find out what classes the school of your choice will accept from UOP's program, and which one's you'll have to add. Sometimes the extra one's you'll need are offered only once a year.

Best of luck in your decision..
Charles

I would suggest you start thinking about which schools you would be interested in, and contact them immediately. Ask them not only about transferring in, but also about whether it might be possible to get admitted NOW, FOR THIS YEAR, as a freshman. Depending on the school, it might very well be possible. Or, maybe not. But you won't know unless you ask, and you have nothing to lose by asking.

Remember, it's a lot easier to get admitted to most schools as a freshman than as a transfer.

NSxtasy you never fail me.

I went to a few prospective schools' websites, and seems like you need at least junior status to get in. It's no problem I guess, I'm going to try hard these next two years and jump on the applications my junior year.

I can't express my gratitude for this place..to be honest when I can't ask my family or friends I turn to prime.

here for anyone if they need,

ravi:)

Don't count-out your local junior college
Agreed with rowr. If you're going to do undergrad prerequisites, it is cheaper and wiser to do them at a local junior college--especially if you are planning to transfer down here to S.Cali anyway.

College System
At the same time, think of which college system you want transfer into:

1. California State Universities
2. University of California
3. Private College

I guess it all depends on what you want to study.

Seek counseling
Either way, make an appointment with a college counselor ASAP. Whether it be from UOP or the prospective university you're planning to get into. Talk to them and find out what you need to do to get into your choice of college. Then strategize.

Financial aid
If you need financial aid, you need to get the ball rolling. The FAFSA deadline is in March of every year. Depending on your financial situation, you may be eligible to get funding such as Cal Grant and Pell Grant. These two grants you don't have to pay back. Then there are other means such as getting unsubsidized loan or subsidized loan. Apply for every single scholarships you can get a hold of. It doesn't matter what your GPA is, just do it. Scholarships have different criterias and some don't even require you having good grades! Even if you think you'll get rejected, apply anyway. You never know.

Full time or part time?
Some scholarships require you to go full time. Some don't. Find out. A full time status requires at least 12 units. 12-16 units is a good load. Anymore than that, and you'd be sacrificing something like social life, possibility of part-time job, added stress, etc. The long-term benefit of taking more units though, is you graduate early and save money by doing so. Decide which is more important to you.

Good luck!

U.C. schools = you need to transfer in as a Junior (I believe no more than 64 units)

U.S.C. = you can transfer in anytime as long as you meet the requirements

Other private schools = I dunno...u gotta check for yourself.

Once again, thanks for the info guys.

I got into practically every UC (except l.a.) as a freshman admit earlier this year, however stayed in Stockton for UOP because of an attractive scholarship.

I'm taking about 16 units this fall, and another 17 for spring. UCLA is probably where I'm aiming..and for the transfer I'm going to have to watch every unit I guess.

USC would be good too, it costs about the same as UOP if I understand correctly.

I just really want to relocate in so cal, but looks like I'm stuck here for two years.

EDIT: just wanted to add, is transfer usually more difficult than regular admission? It has always been my understanding that it is easier..?

ravi:confused:

STOCKTONSX said:

...is transfer usually more difficult than regular admission? It has always been my understanding that it is easier..?

If you started at and did well in a community college, it is very easy to transfer into any CSU or UC campus. They are motivated to bring in students that started at CA community colleges.

Now, starting from a peer school, the transfer playing field may be very different. I have no direct experience regarding this aspect however.

STOCKTONSX said:
I got into practically every UC (except l.a.) as a freshman admit earlier this year, however stayed in Stockton for UOP because of an attractive scholarship.
If you would prefer to go to any of those UC campuses (the ones that accepted you) instead of UOP, I suspect it might be very easy to enroll there NOW as a freshman, rather than wait two years and hope you get accepted as a junior. You can call them up and tell them you've changed your mind and ask whether it's possible to go there after all. I doubt that they would turn you down if they accepted you earlier this year, and you wouldn't have to go through an application process all over again.

Don't spend two (or more) years at a school you don't want to go to, if you can figure out a way to go to a school you do want to go to, right off the bat. You have an opportunity to make this happen for yourself, but you have to move fast if you want to take advantage of it.

Back