I got one...finally!

Well, I have wanted an NSX since I was 15 years old. That was 1991, and I remember my father laughing when I took him one Saturday to the dealership to "look" at them. I fell in love with the red/black combo right away. (what year did they introduce the amazing blue LBB?)

Between 1991 and 1996, I had three car buying opportunities for various reasons. :) The NSX was the first thing that came up in MY mind each time. My parents laughed every time I mentioned it to them, but I knew that I would be able to get one someday...

Last month, for my birthday, I bought a car. Not an NSX, but something a "little" more practical that I was equally excited about. Seeing as how I did this, I certainly did not expect to be in the market for an additional car any time soon.

That was until the last week when I started tinkering with Ebay...I wasn't even looking for an NSX, but she found me. Here I was reading about my dream NSX in MINT condition, only to find it was just a few minutes away from me! I couldn't resist, and the rest is history.

She is a beautiful 1991 (red/black) with several great stories included with the purchase. 15,800 miles and truly MINT.

First off, she was originally purchased by George Lucas of Star Wars fame. He bought the car new in 1990, and kept it (with only 3000 miles on it) until 2004. I have the original purchase receipt with his signature, which I think is pretty cool.

According to Marin Acura, who went over the car for me before purchase, George bought two of them that were identical. One that he drove, and one that he babied. Guess which one this was. :)

In 04, he sold my new car to his personal assistant, who put 10K miles in it in 2 years. The PA then sold it to the guy I bought it from, who meticulously maintained and very slightly upgraded/modified the car. More importantly, he kept it under cover in a climate controlled garage, and barely drove it.

His minor upgrades include a K&N air filter and the really nice (and expensive) aftermarket 18" wheels that he purchased. He also included with the purchase a box of springs from Speed of Science that are still sealed, the heavy duty NSX car cover, the original stock wheels and tires with 85% tread remaining, and the original Titanium key.

Dean, the service manager at Marin Acura, who has been there since before the NSX was introduced, told me that the car is truly pristine, and that he has seen the car regularly for routine service since 1991. He also said that his tech was very pleased with everything during the checkup, and that he usually finds more problems with cars only 1 or 2 years old.

So, my new car is home, but not for long. I am going to be cautious with my baby, and send her back to Marin Acura for a new timing belt, which it probably doesn't need. The master mechanic said the belt looked fine, but it has been 6 years or so...better safe than sorry, right? I know that it isn't warranted if you look at the mileage, but the factory says every 6 years, and even if the belt "looks" ok, you never know for sure until its too late! Everybody agree with my theory?

By the way, I knew about the cars potential need of a timing belt before I decided to buy it and committed to the inspection. The inspection actually went so well that I decided to drive the car for a few days rather than leave it for the timing belt immediately. I felt like even with the $2K timing belt "issue" I still got a good deal on the car. The guys are Marin Acura agreed.

So, that's the story. Needless to say, I am thrilled with my new ride, and I look forward to some NSX events in the Northern California area to attend.

Currently, I am a member of Club Sportiva (www.clubsportiva.com) but the club doesnt have an NSX! If any of you live in the Bay Area and love cars, you should check out that site. They are opening in San Jose, Las Vegas, San Diego, and Internationally in the near future. They also have 30 or so Italian exotics available for tours in Europe. I have been a member for almost a year, and I am about to renew at a higher level so I can get my hands on the new 430 coupe, the new Aston Martin DB9 Volante, and the new Lamborghinis (plural). The staff at the club have become my friends, along with the other members, and I highly recommend this club to all car enthusiasts.

I look forward to your replies.

Cheers,
Ryan

I watched that auction (the several times it was on there) and figured it'd go for more. If it woulda been his black one with the same condition and price I woulda bought it.

Congrats.

We had that auction on our watch list! That is a great price you got. We were thinking about getting it to sell for thousands more!

Congrat! Make sure you join some of our local Bay Area events:smile:

Hi Ryan,

Great story and a great find. These original Red/Black combos have a purity about them that I truly like. I dont dislike the option rims but if it were mine, I would be so very tempted to return this NSX back to stock, then just care for it and drive it as often as possible.

Congratulations

Regards, Paul

Nice find! I guess the old saying is true.....Good things come to those who wait! In your case since you were 15! Congrats! I know some Star Wars fans that would probably jump off a bridge for that George Lucas sig!!

Enjoy her....BTW LBBP blue was introduced in 2002 I believe?

Great car at a great price. You will be telling your NSX story often. I guarantee it. Congratulation on a great find. By the way, watch the roof, my son got baptized by the my NSX last month. His forehead was swollen for 2 days. He is talling than me and doesn't get into my NSX much. Enjoy your new chariot. :biggrin:

Wow!!! great deal, I'm a big fan of Star Wars! I wish I have your nsx!!

IF you want to geek up your car you can get the plate.

NSXwing. :tongue:

Great find, i saw this on ebay and never thought it would sell under 35. Patience is a virtue that pays.

Wow:eek: what a great deal...you scored. Good call on the TB and WP...it is the right thing to do.

Congrats:smile:

Thanks everybody for the replies. I am really happy with my purchase, and all of these nice posts put a big smile on my face.

I cant wait to meet up at the next event.

Cheers,
Ryan

Congrats!

Quick question, as seeing your signature, I don't think you have any money issues so why purchase a '91 at this time and not an '05:confused:

Ok. I have an update. My car just came home from service with a new timing belt, water pump, battery, and detail. I went ahead and had them do a valve adjustment while they were in there, and they replaced some seals and what not. It looks and drives like a new car. I am amazed. However, it is now having the clear armor installed, so I posting instead of driving.

Anyway, I snapped a few photos before I dropped it off...please compare these new photos to the ones I took on the day of purchase (my avatar) and the ones used on the Ebay ad posted a couple weeks ago. The car looks like new! I guess 15 years of sitting under a cover still dulls the paint...a little wax and some elbow grease took care of that.

Driving home today, a lady at the Golden Gate Bridge toll booth asked me if my car was fun to drive. I replied, "Yes, very. I just got it." She replied, "I thought that was a new car." As I drove off, I smiled thinking that this 91 really was ahead of it's time...Not five minutes later, a young kid pulled up and asked me how fast I have taken it. I replied, "To be honest, not very fast." He looked at me with a puzzled reaction, and I added, "I JUST got it." Then, he smiled and said, "Well, I am still in college, but I will be there soon." I smiled and nodded as we drove off. This car definitely draws attention.

...and for those of you who look beyond the red beauty, the blue car in the background is an Aston Martin DB9, the yellow car I am taking the photo over is a Lotus Esprit Turbo, and in the corner of the third picture, you will see the Ferrari 308.

acura-nsx3.jpg

acura-nsx2.jpg

acura-nsx1.jpg

Very nice find! I'm sure you'll keep her is tip top condition.

Subscribed

Cool story! It is always nice to hear of a new excited owner, especially when the car has such a wonderful history.

I wonder what George Lucas replaced the car with? He must have had several if he bought two identical red ones and the black one he was said to have.

Bonus...

So, now that my car is finally home, I decided to get all of the parts and what not that came with the car out of the trunk. In doing so, I realized that the parts in my trunk are NOT aftermarket parts at all, they are OEM and they are used. SO, that means that NEW parts must have been put on my car!!!

In looking at the box that is still sealed in the trunk from Science of Speed, I noticed that the shipping invoice was still in the tape on the top. I grabbed the invoice on top and quickly found that my car has a few "bonus features" that I didnt know about...until now.

One of the former owners, George's assistant, bought three aftermarket parts for the car. Two of which were installed. The third is still in the mystery box that came in the trunk. I recall the guy I bought the car from saying something like, "I think there is a K&N filter or something like that installed on the car." I had no idea that he was talking about this...

Already installed:

1. Cantrell Air Induction System
2. Uni Dual Stage OEM Drop In

This is great because I was online pricing these parts just last night. Now, I dont have to be without my car once again to have the work done.

Mystery Box:

1. Brand new TEIN S.TECH springs

I am not going to mess with the suspension, so the springs will likely find there way to Ebay, unless somebody here is interested. I was also considering contacting SOS to see if they would let me trade the unopened springs for something else I could use, like some Trunk Struts, etc. Anybody think they might take them back for a partial credit, at least?

Also, I got the Clear Armor installed on the car today. It looks fantastic, and I have posted photos in the car care forum post called "clear bra".

Cheers,
Ryan

Back