I beat the "king of the track" with my turbo NSX

I went to the drags again this weekend with my NSX and ran in a NO BULL series in the 10 second class. It was incredible. I didn't plan on making it past the first round. There were six cars and none of the others were actually street cars. In the first round, I had to race a guy that has been the points leader of our local track the last few years. He was driving a nitrous Vega drag car. That run was my best ever. I ran 10.73 @ 133.78mph vs. his 10.94 @ 124.63.
It was incredible. Then I went to find out who I raced next and I found out that two of the cars got disqualified for breaking into the 9's. I ended up racing a nitrous mustang in the finals. He beat me when he ran a 10.40et. I ended up second in a class that I probably didn't have any business being in.
Jimmy from HP was at the track again doing my tuning and making sure that the car was running safe. He changed my boost settings this time compared to last time i raced. This time we were starting around 10psi and increasing it gradually to about 14psi at the top of the rpm.
Here is a link to a forum that has some pictures of cars at the event. One of the pics is of an incredible launch. It looks amazing, I can't believe the front end was up that much.
Craig
http://racingsouthwest.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45096

Awesome results; I should be heading back to the tuner next week after some modifications to my HP kit (reduced boost from big red WG spring to big yellow spring, should be around 8psi, larger heat exchanger, and cooler/regapped plugs)

I am still waiting to hear from the shop Jimmy recommended, but I am hopeful the car will see a noticable improvement, especially after seeing posts like these.

Last edited:
You're correct, I have the AEM boost gauge/Controller in the car. That is what we were using last time, but Jimmy didn't like how it would spike the boost a little in the beginning. Now we are controlling the boost directly off of the AEM ecu. It is much better because you can have the boost at whatever level you want at any point in the curve. Not just a solid boost level.
Craig

Is that stock suspension? I've NEVER seen an NSX squatting so hard with the front wheels in the air like that. Was the track covered with that liquid they use to improve launch grip?

Is that stock suspension? I've NEVER seen an NSX squatting so hard with the front wheels in the air like that. Was the track covered with that liquid they use to improve launch grip?

The suspension is stock. Yes, the track was sprayed.

IMG_5565.jpg

Oh My!! Amazing

Very nice run, congrats!

What kind/size of slicks? What was your 60ft time? Assuming stock tranny/axles etc?

Amazing in deed! If only money grew on trees...

Damn dude you going to make me rush my turbo build. I will be coming after you in the near future:wink: so remember me saying this. I think the NSX is an excellent 1/4mile car if modded. Weighs nothing, RWD, little drivetrain loss, strong motor. Congrates man

Indeed this is pretty awesome results... I am shocked frankly.

14 PSI of boost on a stock motor with 130,000 miles on it? Don't mean to jinx you but man... you have some balls. Nonetheless I can't believe how fast this thing is.

Dude, you have set one hell of a benchmark with that effort. I am really impressed. :cool:

I think that you are very fortunate to have Jimmy from HP tuning your car. He is obviously a talented tuner.

Would you mind telling us what clutch you are using? I'm guessing you must be letting it slip a little off the line to launch that hard without spinning. Care to share your launch technique? I would like to know your 60ft on that 10.7 run........

Oh, and you really need to detail your fender liner. ;)

The axles/tranny are all stock. Spec stage 3+ clutch. I don't remember what the tire size is so I will have to get back to you. They aren't very wide though. Fit on the stock wheels very nicely. The 60ft was 1.59.
As far as launching technique, nothing special. Jimmy set up the two step so that all I do is get to the line, floor it and then drop the clutch when I'm ready to go. Pretty easy actually. This is the first drag racing that I have ever done, so I guess anybody could probably do it. However the car does tend to move around a little as you go down the track. It's startled me a few times.

I agree, I am very fortunate to have Jimmy doing my tuning. He is doing a great job. As I said, I'm a novice, so most of me being fast is probably his doing.

As far as the fender liner, I didn't realize they were that dirty, but is does make the car look bad doesn't it!
Craig

Im used to seeing supras squat like that! Congrats on the run!

Damm....Craig....
Well done dude !
What's your rwhp ?

what do you mean you floor it and drop the clutch? if you floor it, doesn't it rev up to the rev limiter?

I am looking at that picture... and wondering how the stock drivetrain is not a ball of molten metal laying on the track. It really must be a lot stronger than I thought.

what do you mean you floor it and drop the clutch? if you floor it, doesn't it rev up to the rev limiter?

As far as launching technique, nothing special. Jimmy set up the two step so that all I do is get to the line, floor it and then drop the clutch when I'm ready to go. Pretty easy actually.

On the EMS, you can set a two step up which lowers the rev limiter to a certain RPM. So all you do is floor it and the two step will have the revs bounce at lets say...5k RPMs until the clutch is engaged.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ZHfiOOxOCM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ZHfiOOxOCM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

On the EMS, you can set a two step up which lowers the rev limiter to a certain RPM. So all you do is floor it and the two step will have the revs bounce at lets say...5k RPMs until the clutch is engaged.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ZHfiOOxOCM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ZHfiOOxOCM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Not to mention you can make boost while sitting still.

I am looking at that picture... and wondering how the stock drivetrain is not a ball of molten metal laying on the track. It really must be a lot stronger than I thought.

He is saying that Jimmy from HP has set up a 2 step, meaning that a second (lower) rpm limit can be set. I am not familiar with the AEM, but with a motec you could use either a clutch switch or road speed to activate the lower RPM limit. ( if your foot is on the clutch, you could for example set the rev limit to 6000rpm. as soon as you get off the clutch the normal rev limit would become active. Using road speed, you could set the rpm limit to 6000 rpm when the car is below say 15 mph)

The 2 step is a feature of most stand alone ecu's these days, and makes it much easier to get a consistent launch. Usually, on a turbo car it will also allow you to build a little boost while you are on the 2 step, ready to launch.

an example of my Civic's 2 step (actually called launch rpm control on the motec):

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aR8z18BWz1Y"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aR8z18BWz1Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Took me 10 min to find my little vid and you guys already posted!!!! at least we gave the same answers ;)

Last edited:
However the car does tend to move around a little as you go down the track. It's startled me a few times.

As far as the fender liner, I didn't realize they were that dirty, but is does make the car look bad doesn't it!
Craig

The car is going to move around with ET streets on them since the sidewall is so soft. Fender liner will ALWAYS be dirty, you can clean it and paint it but it will look the same in a week.:wink:

Back