I am considering buying a lot and building a custom house, pointers?

I read his answer to be $30 million net worth; I don't actually with that figure. But I really do not agree with $30 thousand net worth at all. If that was all a person had they should be renting an small apartment and saving.
I have always wanted to build a ground up custom; now i am just old and tired. I did do a spec house for my parents about 15 years ago and they loved it. But it was some work too.

I did not freaking think of this...19 lots actually, but yeah only 1 built. rest of the lots are still available. you make very very good points. supposedly my bid on the lot i want will go into the court this week...but this makes me think twice. i need to figure out a little more tomorrow.

p.s. $200 p sqft was on higher quality materials, stucco, etc. not track quality. if I can do it cheaper that would be huge fore me. at 200 per foot, it's getting on the pricier side for me where it makes it hard for me..

since i have never built a track home...i would not know what they cost to build... even with the highest quality most builders build out for 80-110 a foot, not including land (here in phoenix). I asked around while posting and i was told that tw lewis builders here in town...who build large semi custom in the 500-1.2 range budget 55-65 per foot...all upper end finishes

Because you said $200/sq.ft. is getting hard for you.

If your net worth is not at least US$30M, you should not be doing this.

are you kidding?

my net worth is far from that and my house is more that 900K

man people and thier opinions.....

since i have never built a track home...i would not know what they cost to build... even with the highest quality most builders build out for 80-110 a foot, not including land (here in phoenix). I asked around while posting and i was told that tw lewis builders here in town...who build large semi custom in the 500-1.2 range budget 55-65 per foot...all upper end finishes

That is the other big point,,the variability in construction costs.In the NE which has some of the highest construction costs.....80-100$ squ only gets you to drywall.:rolleyes:

are you kidding?

my net worth is far from that and my house is more that 900K

man people and thier opinions.....

by his logic,
if
$1.5mm house for me = $30mm required net worth,
then
$900k house for you = $18mm required net worth.

P.S. if someone had ~$30mm cash sitting in the bank at a mere 3%, they could in theory buy another $1.5mm house every few years on the interest alone (after taxes). something to think about.

Last edited:
You should talk to Charles Hudson. That is what he does for a living and he builds beautiful houses.

I have a front row seat to about 8-10 new homes being built per year, all of them in the 5K - 20K+ square foot range. I use per year loosely, as in how many I see completed per year, since it takes more than a year from planning to completion. Some take just over a year and some have been over 4 years and are still not done.

Money aside, if you want the project to get completed in a timely manner and not incur a serious financial strain, just make sure you have 2X the expected cost of building the home put away strictly for the project alone. This holds true for just about anything remodel or construction related, even if it's just a room addition.

During the course of your project you will constantly want to add/improve/upgrade your project whether it be floors or fixtures or landscaping, etc. The more you change your mind and the more you add, the more it will cost and extend the project length. And if you are running out of money, you will push to do it anyway, but you will cut corners and do it on the cheap, which is when contractors start getting frustrated and projects start getting delayed.

If you cut corners on contractors and find the cheapest labor you can, you will pay for it in the long run and your project will drag and drag. I have seen great contractors run a project like a well oiled machine and have been pleasures to work with. I've worked with others that couldn't handle the customer and the project never seemed to end.

All that being said, times are rough right now for most contractors, even good contractors, and you can get some phenomenal deals that you couldn't get otherwise. So as far as cost of build is concerned, now is the time for deals. You can get painters, roofers, landscapers, you name it, including a general that will give you a hell of a deal. Just make sure you check out their past work and get lots of referals. Most importantly, find out how long each similar project took to complete. That's most likely how long yours will take.

Remember you are on a timeline, and when you exceed it, you will start paying large monthly penalties. That's when it will get ugly between you and contractor. You will blame them for moving too slow, and they will blame you for changing your mind twice a day and delaying the project. A good contractor won't be afraid to put you in your place and give you proper advice to keep you on schedule.

Building a new home can be a blast, or it can be a nightmare you wished you never started, but in both cases it will consume much of your life during the process. Unless you are wealthy enough to pay someone else to handle it all for you while you spend your life on vacation somewhere, occasionally showing up once every 6 months to see how it's going. That's always nice.

I can share some of my experience with you since I've built a large custom house, and have completed plans for another one.
There is good advice from others here, but some which you may want to take with a grain of salt.
I don't think you need to have a net worth of $30 million to build a $1.5 million home. Those numbers seem way off.
Ilya is correct that contractors and subcontractors are really hurting right now, and you can strike some screaming deals on their labor. I have noticed that material costs are fluctuating from the past few years, depending on what it is. For instance, rebar went from low to very high and has leveled off again.
You may be able to get away with less than $200/ sq ft, depending on the fit and finish. However, be aware that you can easily push double that if you go really extravagant, so watch what finish you have throughout. Do you really need triple-stage crown molding in every room, or can you get away with just some decorative touches in just the kitchen, living room, and master bedroom and bath? You need to determine this into your budget, preferably when working with your architect. You can also save some money by doing some stuff yourself (such as pulling CAT6 and RG6 for whole house distribution, or painting).

The challenge, which we have encountered for our project as well, is that banks are not willing to give out construction loans readily in this economy, so a huge hurdle is finding a lender who has reasonable requirements. Your best bet would be a local bank, as the national banks guidelines are very stringent. At least 30%+ of your skin in the game, plus exceptional FICO scores, and a cost to value ratio of below 50%. Terms are about 12 months, with possible extensions ($$ believe me, I know) up to 18 months. Roll-over conversion from construction to perm but you may have to lock in the rate now (which could be a good thing since they are very low). Is your $1.5 million cost-to-build home actually going to be worth considerably more once it is built? How much sweat equity will you have versus just buying a home? Your bank will be very very interested in this, because if it is worth just $1.5 million when completed, they will not take that risk, unless you pony up your own money and bring down that final loan amount to a ratio less than 70% (they typically want that ratio down below 50%).

In terms of soft costs, don't neglect the other fees, such as school fees. Permit fees can blindside you if you are not prepared, and you would be shocked how much school fees could be (we ended up paying many tens of thousands of dollars, and we didn't even have a child at the time). In all, we paid significantly over $100k for all the miscellaneous city and county fees, and this does not include architectural plans, structural plans, soils engineer, civil engineer, etc which adds up to large $$. Of course this varies based on where you are located, but I see you are in CA, so I would assume that you'll probably encounter something similar.

You will be shocked at how long things will take. The architectural plans could take many months, and if you are required to have it pass an architectural design review committee for your community in addition to your city planner, then it can really drag on. So add 4 months (realistically 6 months to a year) for the plans to be completed and approved. This is in conjuction with the structural engineer doing his plans. Then you have to have an energy guy calculate numbers for the home as well. This is before you can get the loan, since banks will not lend unless the plans are fully approved by the city, so the money for all the plans will come out of your own pocket. You need to bid out to contractors even before the loan, since they need to give you numbers for cost so you can submit that to the bank (get at least three bids). It will take them about a month to get the estimates from their subs, and then get it back to you. The loan process itself can take months. When you finally do get the money, if it is possible that you can wait, you should try to plan it around the seasons, as ideally you want to start construction and build according to schedule so that you have the roof up before it gets rainy. There is nothing more miserable than having all your framing and your crawlspace/basement/concrete pad soaked and leading to uneven walls and sometimes uneven floors from the curving of the wood studs.
Unexpected costs will be in the form of change orders. Contractors will rack up the bill with changes you want to make in the middle of construction, so you want to do your best to stick with the plans, or incorporate changes in the design stage with your architect, rather than with your contractor. It is far cheaper to do so.
Landscaping and hardscape can be very expensive as well, and if your community or city requires you to have it in place before moving in, then you will be delayed once again in living there (again speaking from experience). All in all, we bought our property in 2003, and didn't move in until late 2006... almost 3-1/2 years.
A few guys mentioned the stress on a marriage. It definitely does take a toll, so be prepared to have one of you make executive decisions.
Do not take this lightly. I would start making appointments with banks now to discuss your situation and see if you can even qualify for a construction loan before purchasing the property. Do your due diligence before making a rash decision about purchasing a lot. Otherwise, you will be stuck with bare land and a high interest lot loan which is just tying up your money.

Good luck.

Last edited:
dude..... you really should call me...... i acted as the "contractor" and built my 3600sf custom home for less than $110 per sr ft. and i did this at the top of the building craze when all the subs were VERY busy and were giving over the top bids...... i cant imagin what i could build for now in this construction climate..... call me....dave

dude..... you really should call me...... i acted as the "contractor" and built my 3600sf custom home for less than $110 per sr ft. and i did this at the top of the building craze when all the subs were VERY busy and were giving over the top bids...... i cant imagin what i could build for now in this construction climate..... call me....dave

ONEADAM- I'd appreciate any insight to this also as I am considering the same. Or post up here.

Thanks to all the contributors... good points as I'd like to stay married.:smile:

Don't know where you intend to build, but in SoCal $200 per SF is low for a top quality custom home with landscaping and offsites. I built spec homes, usually 5,000 to 7,000 SF and our average cost was $280 SF in 2007 and $265 in 2008. Costs have dropped some, currently we're about $235 SF on the homes coming out of the ground today. I would also check with the City/County to see if all the Conditions of Development have been met by the builder, that way your not stuck meeting them. Good Luck with the project.

If I could type with more than two fingers:redface: I would have posted what Yawwn just did.And that is just a brief outline.I can only say that our project would have been flushed if I did'nt already have a commercial relationship with the local banks.And yes it takes that long we bought our lots in 03 and moved in ..in 07:eek:

You should check in w/ Yawwn. His custom is top notch and he has good advice on building custom.

honestly this thread is proving to be more and more valuable to me. thank you all. Keep the info coming.

except for myhui and ski_banker of course.

The thread topic, by itself, is perfectly legitimate and it's nice that you've gotten some helpful feedback.

Nevertheless, my point still stands Bud Fox. If you are unsure of what my point is, I'll take the time to repost a sampling of your low-classed, asinine comments for your education. If you tell me your hat size, I'll also buy you a Scuderia Ferrari cap to match the Ferrari jacket you have tucked away for special Big Baller occasions. :rolleyes:

To answer your question of me -- no problem at all. I just dislike people such as yourself that have the small penis need to advertise their personal finances, particularly amongst a group of people like this, a subset of which could employ you as their lawn boy.

The thread topic, by itself, is perfectly legitimate and it's nice that you've gotten some helpful feedback.

Nevertheless, my point still stands Bud Fox. If you are unsure of what my point is, I'll take the time to repost a sampling of your low-classed, asinine comments for your education. If you tell me your hat size, I'll also buy you a Scuderia Ferrari cap to match the Ferrari jacket you have tucked away for special Big Baller occasions. :rolleyes:

To answer your question of me -- no problem at all. I just dislike people such as yourself that have the small penis need to advertise their personal finances, particularly amongst a group of people like this, a subset of which could employ you as their lawn boy.

I do not advertise my personal finances. Nobody on this forum knows what I make, nor do they know what my net worth is. I dont have a Ferrari jacket. I wear shoes that cost less than $100. my dress shirt is less than $30. my dress pants are the same ones I bought from 4 years ago. I drive Honda Civic Hybrid which I bought used. I live in the same house I bought 9 years ago which is well below my means, and never felt like overextending myself. I am very frugal, live well below my means in every way of my life. Yet I make a reasonably good income. i do not attend "baller" occasions, I dont even know what that is really. I hang out with my wife and kids besides working, and live an honest life, and help out people I know, even those I dont know (look at my trader feedback). I even spend time helping strangers on this forum to put parts on their car, or check out a car they are interested in buying, not asking for a single dime (unless it's a dealer, out of principle).

low classed? I consider someone who takes the time to insult someone they no zero facts about low classed. you, you are low class.

Guess what, you could not employ me as your lawn boy....and btw, people like you make this forum very unenjoyable.

A few of the gem threads you've started. I'll dig into the individual posts later where your true character shines.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121271
Where do you park your cash? I need suggestions for more %

Ski: You do finance for a living, right?

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98549
Post pics of your watches!

Ski: Nice Rolex in pic 1. I'm sure your high school friends are jealous.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118637
Who else is waiting on a March Bonus?

Ski: You must be waiting for your first Wall St. bonus, b/c only Analysts and Associates speak like this. At least, at the real banks.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111265
tax shelter ideas?

Ski: Seriously?? How dumb are you?

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108122
Income/Salary range on the forum (with poll)

Ski: Unofficially the lamest thread of 2008 (not my words).

From a non-financial perspective; my next door neighbor just finished their tear down and rebuild minus the landscaping. Hooray, no more noise, dust, and seeing contractors daily. They told me if they had another chance to do another remodel or rebuild, they would not. Too much headache. They would just buy a ready to move in house.

The question is, do you and your wife have the emotional patience to go through a project like this? I have 4 co-workers who almost got a divorce in the middle of their remodel/rebuild add-on? Just some questions that you and you wife might want to discuss before starting this project. Good luck.

Last edited:
From a non-financial perspective; my next door neighbor just finished their tear down and rebuild minus the landscaping. Hooray, no more noise, dust, and seeing contractor daily. They told me if they had another chance to do another remodel or rebuild, they would not. Too much headache. They would just buy a ready to move in house.

The question is do you and your wife had the emotional patience to go through a project like this? I have 4 co-workers who almost got a divorce in the middle of their remodel/rebuild add-on? Just some questions that you and you wife might want to discuss before starting this project. Good luck.

I think this is a larger issue than most would think it is. My sister and her fiancee came to logger heads numerous times throughout their build...she had eluded to never again either.

My point has been made, and no, I don't seek to get into a pissing contest

SKi what is your point exactly? Lets say Supra2NV is the biggest poser on the planet... why do you feel the need to police that? I just don't get it. Reading this thread doesn't make you look very good.

Supra2nv I would just agree with the rest, that I am usually involved in a lot of custom home projects and I have yet to see a single one that meets its time deadline or budget. They are both always WAY OVER. Always. No matter who it is. Anyway, I usually come in to pre-wire the house, and so I can give you some input there.

Make sure you plan out an electronic system for the house and wire for it. It adds value even if you never use it. Do install a lighting control system, do not go old-school with standard retarded lighting switches. Don't try to wire it based on your own or some hobbyist's knowledge, get someone professional to just do a wiring scheme for you. If you want, I will help you as much as I can for free. Any modern home should have a door communication system, an intercom system, at least a very basic whole-house music system, the media or theater room (or even TV in the family room) should be planned ahead of time. You should absolutely do lighting control no matter what the project is, and you should also wire the thermostats, antennas, a partial wired home network. Don't leave the cable and phone for the electrician to do. Don't allow the security company to install whatever panel they decide to do.

SKi what is your point exactly? Lets say Supra2NV is the biggest poser on the planet... why do you feel the need to police that? I just don't get it. Reading this thread doesn't make you look very good.

Supra2nv I would just agree with the rest, that I am usually involved in a lot of custom home projects and I have yet to see a single one that meets its time deadline or budget. They are both always WAY OVER. Always. No matter who it is. Anyway, I usually come in to pre-wire the house, and so I can give you some input there.

Make sure you plan out an electronic system for the house and wire for it. It adds value even if you never use it. Do install a lighting control system, do not go old-school with standard retarded lighting switches. Don't try to wire it based on your own or some hobbyist's knowledge, get someone professional to just do a wiring scheme for you. If you want, I will help you as much as I can for free. Any modern home should have a door communication system, an intercom system, at least a very basic whole-house music system, the media or theater room (or even TV in the family room) should be planned ahead of time. You should absolutely do lighting control no matter what the project is, and you should also wire the thermostats, antennas, a partial wired home network. Don't leave the cable and phone for the electrician to do. Don't allow the security company to install whatever panel they decide to do.

thank you for your input, and thank you very much for your offer. very generous.

At this point, I am less scared of the actual building of the house than the surprises that could pop up...additionally, the lot that I want to buy is owned by a Co in Chapter 11....as someone pointed out, this could be a problem because you dont know how long you will have vacant lots, or when I will have neighbors if at all...

the more commentary I am getting on here, the more spooked I am lol.

Back