I am coming to Indy for USGP

I am planniing to drive the family to Indy for the USGP in a rental 10 seater van,no NSX,sorry(too small as a family hauler).
Can the local NSXers help me out for local shopping and dining recommendations to occupy the rest of my family during that time?
Thanks.

I would make hotel reservations as soon as possible. I don't really have any specific ones to recommend but I would look first in the downtown area. Downtown would give you plenty of options for dining/shopping within walking distance of the hotel. You'd also be able to walk to some of the associated events; 'Ferraris on the Circle', F1 party at The Slippery Noodle, etc.
Traffic isn't nearly as bad for the F1 race as the 500 or Brickyard so driving shouldn't be a problem or you can take IndyGo shuttles from several downtown locations if you don't want to deal with it.
I wouldn't recommend staying out in Speedway to be close to the track. Its not a very nice area and you'll end up doing more driving getting out of that area to find places to take your family. The Castleton/Carmel area north of the city is nice with lots of options for shopping/dining but still not as convenient as being downtown. In any case, have fun and enjoy the race:smile:

Nate

If you're up for it, there's the new Conrad hotel downtown. For our deep pockets friends :smile:
By the way, it's good to see you Nate, how ya been friend? What are you rolling in nowadays?

Tim, hey doing well, hope everythings been going better for you. I'm hoping to finalize a deal on the new ride in the next week or two. Of course I'm already ordering mods:rolleyes: . Hopefully I can bring it by the next get-together, if there ever is one.

Back to the topic at hand: Yeah, I forgot about the new Conrad downtown. I'm sure thats going to be the spot for celebrity watching.

As far as restaurants go you can find all the major chain type places downtown; Champps, PF Changs, Palomino, Rock Bottom, Hooters, Hard Rock, yada yada yada.

If you want something better and independent;
St. Elmo Steak House (next to the Canterbury Hotel)
Bazbeaux Pizza (on Mass Ave, best pizza in town)
Elements (Mass Ave, nouveau cuisine, not too pricey)
R Bistro (Mass Ave, weekly menu, upscale but again not too pricey)
Rathskeller (off of Mass, german cuisine, but I go for the Biergarten out back, live music, good crowd)
Slippery Noodle (S Meridian St just past the train tracks, don't eat here, just a good old school Blues bar)
The Bosphorous (Virginia Ave? Great little Turkish place SE side of downtown)
Santorini (Fountain Square area, get directions, Greek obviously)

If you're bringing kids and need an alternate activity the Childrens Museum is located at 30th and Illinois and is supposed to be really good. I'm sure others can chime in with some suggestions.

couple links;
http://www.slipperynoodle.com/
http://www.rathskeller.com/
http://www.childrensmuseum.org/catalog/home.asp

Thanks for the info. I will print out the list of restaurants. Conrad is full.
I am looking at Homewood suites by The Crossing. That's nearby the Fashion Mall, right?
This way my wife has something to do.
Is that a good area and how far is it from the speedway?
Are you guys going?

The "Visit" section of this site may be helpful:
http://indydt.com/

There's plenty of stuff to do downtown: Circle Center mall, the zoo and gardens are not too far away, various museums, etc. I believe what they've done in the past is to have shuttles running from remote locations, which may be preferable to dealing with trackside traffic.

The Castleton area (northeast part of town) is also near a lot of shopping -- Castleton Mall, the Fashion Mall at Keystone, Clay Terrace. Broad Ripple is also a neat area (62nd St, between Keystone and Meridian/US31).

Jim

fannsx said:
I am looking at Homewood suites by The Crossing. That's nearby the Fashion Mall, right?
This way my wife has something to do.
Is that a good area and how far is it from the speedway?
Are you guys going?
Yes, that should be near the mall to keep your wife happy. It is a nice area. It's a little ways from the speedway, but not crazy far by any means.

Does anyone know if there will be any shuttle buses to and from the downtown area for all 3 days? Last time I came I had a rental car and used local parking near the track.

Big_nate said:
From what I can see, looks like race day only. Traffic on the practice days usually isn't that bad though.

http://www.indygo.net/special_events/2006_IMSraces.htm

OK thanks. Haven't finallized any plans, but I really want to come back. Parking is kind of a drag if you have to park in one of the pvt. parking lots alongside the road, or use someone's driveway and get charged an arm and a leg:biggrin:

fannsx said:
I am planniing to drive the family to Indy for the USGP in a rental 10 seater van,no NSX,sorry(too small as a family hauler).
Can the local NSXers help me out for local shopping and dining recommendations to occupy the rest of my family during that time?
Thanks.
on the way to usgp dont forget to stop @ gas america plaza I-70 EXIT 115
[KNIGHTSTOWN EXIT] i got a family restaurant [GAS GRILL FAMILY RESTAURANT] lots a food and discount for
nsx owners come here 35% off if tell me u got this from prime
nsxprime<===== THE BESTTTT

Back