• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hyundai Equus

I bought a Genesis a few months ago for my Dad. It needs some refinement and yes it is a Hyundai. But is the badge and a slight lack of refinement worth $30K(compared to a Lexus LS460)? Thats a question you have to think about when writing a check.

In the new C&D they compare the Equus to the Lexus Ls460L and gave the win to the Equus. Ofcourse if you took the price out of the equation then the Lexus won by a couple of points. But again it is worth $35K more to you?

It looks like they tamed it down a bit since I don't see the obnoxious hood ornament on it like I did in Korea.
I hope it does well but I think Hyundai needed a new luxury line name for it.

I hope it does well but I think Hyundai needed a new luxury line name for it.

call the new brand - Pretentious :biggrin:

Sure looks like a LS460 to me. The question is can the copy be as good as the original? Hyundai's quality has been going up and Lexus has been going down. And Toyotas? The ones made in the US are junk. I had a new Yaris rental with 16xx miles on the odometer and it had a MAJOR rattle somewhere in the dash. It was a rental and if I had it more than a day, I would have returned it.

asset_upload_file417_3061_w800.jpg

hyundai-equus-p2-6.JPG

Lexus
07-lexus-ls-460-43-440.jpg

Last edited:
Thoughts on the Hyundai Equus? Personally, I don't think America is ready yet for a 60k Hyundai, but specs are impressive.

Top Gear's quote about the NSX-R: It costs 70 grand and nobody will pay that for a Honda and as much as they tried it was never a Ferrari". Are Americans ready to pay 60k for a Hyundai? I don't think it metters who made it, what metters is how much effort they put into it. Hyundai is making a step forward and I like them for it.

Last edited:
On a slight aside, I'm completely blown away by the looks of the cars being put out by Hyundai. If they are guilty of copying other car's design cues then they are also guilty of making them better. Check out their econobox Elantra. It actually looks darn good!

2011_hyundai_elantra_press_images_main.jpg

2011_hyundai_elantra_press_images_003.jpg

2011_hyundai_elantra_press_images_009.jpg

Not to mention the Sonata looks great as well.

2011-Hyundai-Sonata-1.jpg

2011-Hyundai-Sonata-2.jpg

2011-Hyundai-Sonata-3.jpg

2011-Hyundai-Sonata-4.jpg

Compare that to a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry

2011_honda_accord_f34_ns_121410_717.jpg

2011-Toyota-Camry-Sedan-Base-4dr-Sedan-Photo-10.png

I had a new Yaris rental with 16xx miles on the odometer and it had a MAJOR rattle somewhere in the dash. It was a rental and if I had it more than a day, I would have returned it.

Are you sure that it was not a coffee mug in the back floor?

I see a lot of similarities between the Equus and my VW Phaeton. Great car that will not sell because the brand cannot bring that retail price. It will be a great buy used once depreciation kills it too.

Hyundai has made great strides but 60K? Nope.

Didnt america frown on lexus when it first came out?

I agree that hyundai needs a seperate line to sell "luxury" cars. Theres plenty of people who dont know that lexus infiniti and acura are all a part of their cheaper counterparts. Hyundai should do the same so people wouldnt think of the brand hyundai when buying luxury.

wouldnt be surprised if hyundai beats out the other asian brands in the next 5-10 years

I spent a great deal of time checking out Hyundai's display at this years Detroit show and I have to say that I was impressed. As a whole I think they are making the greatest strides of any of the automakers out on the floor.

I sat in the Equus and was amazed by the quality and features that they were offering for the price.

And for a compact car the Veloster had a good use of space as well.

I' will say for sure that there were MANY more people gathering around the Hyundai display than Acura or Lexus combined.

I think Hyundai will be introducing the new brand called Genesis.

So the Equus will soon be Genesis Equus or something...

I sat in one immediately after test driving a new XJ and I had to go back to the Equus a little later to take it in under a less biased attitude. It's not the XJ by any means, in some areas, it's not even close, but bang for the buck it is an incredible car.

I just finished working the auto show here for the past 4 days. Right by us was the Hyundai booth. And right in front was this Equus. Not far away was our new 2011 RL Advance. The entire weekend, I kept thinking that this is what the RL should look like. I did sit in the car during closing to check it out. I wasn't that impressed with the materials, but the size and design were right on.

I wasn't that impressed with the materials, but the size and design were right on.
but for the price though...

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/equus/services.aspx

Valet Service
Owning an Equus means you may never have to set foot in our service center. Ever. Not for an oil change, not for a tune-up. When it’s time for service, contact us by phone or through your Equus Owner Experience iPad App, and we’ll come to you, deliver a courtesy replacement vehicle alternative transportation and return your Equus when it’s ready.

Free Maintenance
Owning an Equus comes with the confidence that all of the normal scheduled maintenance is covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles. This doesn’t just mean oil changes, but all parts and labor included in the Equus owner’s manual under scheduled maintenance. Paired with our valet service, that comes to you, picks up your vehicle, delivers alternative transportation and returns your vehicle, makes Equus maintenance easy and painless.

Equus Customer Connect Center
The Equus Customer Connect Center provides a premium level of service for Equus prospects and owners. Operating 7 days a week this service gives you access to questions about warranty coverage, features and functionality, Authorized Equus Dealer locations or even help scheduling a personalized demonstration appointment.

Look at the price difference...
and not to mention no other brands will give you better service than Hyundai.
(valet, free maintenance, etc)

Hyundai Equus: starts at $58,000

Lexus LS: starts at $66,230

BMW 7 Series: starts at $70,650

Mercedes S Class: starts at $91,000

On a slight aside, I'm completely blown away by the looks of the cars being put out by Hyundai. If they are guilty of copying other car's design cues then they are also guilty of making them better. Check out their econobox Elantra. It actually looks darn good!

When I first saw the Sonata, I thought to myself that was one nice looking new Lexus!
The Genesis coupe is way better looking than the 350z and 370z. It also got some really nice track performances.
The Genesis V8 sedan is more powerful than any Honda ever made.
Hyundai tries and it shows.
Steve

Some years ago I remember watching an interview with one of the heads of one of the Big 3 (can't remember which one), in which the the question was asked "How will you compete with the Japanese car companies?" -- to which the gentlemen replied; "Its not the Japanese car companies that really concern me, rather, the South Korean car companies". I remember being somewhat surprised by his response.

Now, Hundai has not only seriously ramped up their reliability and quality in their cars, but now they have finally gotten the styling to the same standards.
The problem has been, for more "upscale" buyers, getting over the stigma of the old "Hundai" name. With the Equus they are definately on the right track.

I'd have no problem owning this car (and am a historically Lexus owner). Jay

I've thought that Hyundai is making the best looking cars on the road today. That being said, I don't think I would buy one yet. There are certainly a bunch of folks buying them today. You see them on the road all over the place. I owned a mid 80's Hyundai as a cheap commuter car years ago and it detonated on the highway on me. That kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

I was only a boy when Honda, Toyota and Nissan (Datson) were making a play in this country so I don't know what the feel on the street for those brands but I'd bet it was similar to how I feel about Hyundai now. Fast forward a few years from now and the entry level folks buying Hyundais now will want to upgrade to a bigger better car and Hyundai has made that possible. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I was really impressed with the Hyundai Genesis Sedan, and I think I'll be pretty impressed with this new Equus from the articles I've been reading. I'm all about getting the best overall value. That's why I chose a used NSX over a new G35 coupe/350Z!

I was also really impressed with Kia Optima. . I mean it grew up from this:
kia_optima_rcll.jpg

to this::eek::smile:
KIA-Optima-2011_1-587x396.jpg

KIA-Optima-2011_3-587x430.jpg

Last edited:
Back