HP Turbo Installation Started

I reconfigured the exhaust, now its using two 'bullet' mufflers, as well as a random technology high flow catalytic converter:

iphone%20004o.jpg

iphone%20015o.jpg

iphone%20018o.jpg

iphone%20019o.jpg

Also, dump pipe for the wastegate:

iphone%20021o.jpg

The Random Technology Catalytic converter:

iphone%20048o.jpg

iphone%20055o.jpg

iphone%20031o.jpg

iphone%20069o.jpg

iphone%20071o.jpg

Why did you add a cat?

Lots of heat in that area (close to turbo) but it would give you some sound reduction (a +) but add back presser.

Is that turbo a GT W/ water and oil. If so the center section has soft seals that don't like heat. The oil only turbos run on brass bushings but try to keep the heat away.

Why did you add a cat?

Lots of heat in that area (close to turbo) but it would give you some sound reduction (a +) but add back presser.

Is that turbo a GT W/ water and oil. If so the center section has soft seals that don't like heat. The oil only turbos run on brass bushings but try to keep the heat away.

The original setup used a magnaflow muffler, but this was too quiet (and was physically crooked), so a quicky crush-bent muffler shop setup went on instead, with no mufflers, just down pipe to tips. In January, I wanted to see if the car could pass an emmissions test with a high-flow catalytic converter in place, so I ordered a 3" random technology unit, and had it installed, by a higher quality fabricator who used mandrel bends, and larger diameter tubing.

When I got the car back from the second shop, it was louder than it had been prior to the cat, because of the more-efficient exhaust layout and better quality fabrication, and the turbo spooled up quicker, as a result of the back pressure. Unfortunately, it was too loud, and I had to have the system worked on again. Two small mufflers were added, you can see them in the pictures above, to take the harsh edge off of the exhaust note, but the result was a car that was too quiet, probably quieter than a stock nsx.

So last weekend I had the random technology unit removed, and replaced with a straight 3" segment of pipe. Now the turbo has a 3" downpipe, which is split into two 2.5" sections, which have mufflers installed, and exits into quad tips. The car sounds good, and feels better than it did with the cat and mufflers installed. I am going to my tuner on Tuesday morning, to see how the different exhaust configuration will change the car's performance (the last tune was done with the crush-bent system, which had no mufflers or cat).

The turbo is not a GT series, it is a T3 60-1, is not watercooled, and uses a channel bearing.

DSC00371.jpg

DSC00379.jpg

DSC00375.jpg

So last weekend I had the random technology unit removed, and replaced with a straight 3" segment of pipe. Now the turbo has a 3" downpipe, which is split into two 2.5" sections, which have mufflers installed, and exits into quad tips. The car sounds good, and feels better than it did with the cat and mufflers installed. I am going to my tuner on Tuesday morning, to see how the different exhaust configuration will change the car's performance (the last tune was done with the crush-bent system, which had no mufflers or cat).

Cool, I was just sure you worked as a pizza boy and needed the "HOT BOX TRUNK" :biggrin: :wink:

Post up some db and sound clips from the next tune/dyno run.

I am interested in purchasing the HP hot side only and customize the rest any suggestions/ input I should keep in mind? I like your heat exchanger up front I'm definetly going to go with a similar install. Car looks awesome.

Last edited:
Some additional pictures of the final exhaust layout, its a 3" down pipe off the turbo, split into 2x2.5" pipes, with mufflers installed, exiting in quad tips:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Umm...Where are the break calipers in this picture....:confused:

J. R.

Umm...Where are the break calipers in this picture....:confused:

J. R.

I removed them to save weight, I noticed all they were doing was slowing me down ;)

Actually, the original picture (of the turbo kit) was overwritten by what appears to be a photoshop of the Kinesis K29's I am selling in the classifieds, with 13" rotors behind them.

Back