HP Numbers

HP Numbers

What are the top numbers for all of the superchargers and turbo set ups both HP and Torque. List all additional mods (Headers Exhaust ,EMS etc.

Comptech
Group M
Basch

Gerry Johnsons Turbo
Other Turbos

Armando

My 91 NSX made 383 rwhp and 263 ft/lbs of torque with BBSC Novi 2000 7psi,comptech headers and RM Racing exhaust.

Last edited:
372 with stock headers and tired clutch. Will dyno after the new tranny goes in along with the headers and new clutch, also high flow cats.

Single turbo @ 8psi 386.7hp and 315 ft lbs of torque, @ 12psi 456hp and 380.8 ft lbs of torque @ 16psi 503hp and 412 ft lbs of torque. All dyno runs the torque for all boost levels reached 300 ft lbs of torque before 4500 rpm and reached over 300hp at around 5000 rpm, the peak hp for all boost levels is at 7300-7500 rpm. If I wanted to go for higher numbers I could have ran the car to redline and added in some timing, however these runs were on pump gas and I did not want to tune it with race gas because I drive the car all the time to shows out of the area and I didn't want to worry about getting good gas when out of town. Here in the valley we only have 91 octane and it is full of additives for emissions. I only run a final timing of 26 degrees @ 8psi and at 12psi I run 22 degrees and at 16psi I run 16 degrees, if I were to go with race gas I could add about 6-8 degrees more timing and that would allow me to make more hp, I will be going to the dyno running 20psi with race gas, I can't run pump gas at the boost level with 9.5-1 pistons, but I can change boost levels at the touch of a buton so going back to 16psi only takes a second.

Last edited:
Gerry Johnson said:
Single turbo @ 8psi 386.7hp and 315 ft lbs of torque, @ 12psi 456hp and 380.8 ft lbs of torque @ 16psi 503hp and 412 ft lbs of torque. All dyno runs the torque for all boost levels reached 300 ft lbs of torque before 4500 rpm and reached over 300hp at around 5000 rpm. If I wanted to go for higher numbers I could have added in some timing, however these runs were on pump gas and I did not want to tune it with race gas because I drive the car all the time to shows out of the area and I didn't want to worry about getting good gas when out of town. Here in the valley we only have 91 octane and it is full of additives for emissions. I only run a final timing of 26 degrees @ 8psi and at 12psi I run 22 degrees and at 16psi I run 16 degrees, if I were to go with race gas I could add about 6-8 degrees more timing and that would allow me to make more hp, I will be going to the dyno running 20psi with race gas, I can't run pump gas at the boost level with 9.5-1 pistons, but I can change boost levels at the touch of a buton so going back to 16psi only takes a second.

The BBSC with 6lbs has almost the same HP, I am curious what the HP is on the 8 lb BBSC. Of course your 12 PSI and up kits have the internals done on the motors, those numbers are very impressive.
You Da Man

Attachments

• man1[1].gif
    man1[1].gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 2,413
Last edited:
(Gerry asks: ) What kind of torque and hp do the BBSC's have at 5000rpm?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Actually, don't they have less than stock\NA somehwere around 5K? I thought with superchargers you have to wind it all the way out for it to take off on the HP chart.

Gerry Johnson said:
Single turbo @ 8psi 386.7hp and 315 ft lbs of torque, @ 12psi 456hp and 380.8 ft lbs of torque @ 16psi 503hp and 412 ft lbs of torque. All dyno runs the torque for all boost levels reached 300 ft lbs of torque before 4500 rpm and reached over 300hp at around 5000 rpm, the peak hp for all boost levels is at 7300-7500 rpm. If I wanted to go for higher numbers I could have ran the car to redline and added in some timing, however these runs were on pump gas and I did not want to tune it with race gas because I drive the car all the time to shows out of the area and I didn't want to worry about getting good gas when out of town. Here in the valley we only have 91 octane and it is full of additives for emissions. I only run a final timing of 26 degrees @ 8psi and at 12psi I run 22 degrees and at 16psi I run 16 degrees, if I were to go with race gas I could add about 6-8 degrees more timing and that would allow me to make more hp, I will be going to the dyno running 20psi with race gas, I can't run pump gas at the boost level with 9.5-1 pistons, but I can change boost levels at the touch of a buton so going back to 16psi only takes a second.

AWESOME! Now that is a PERFECT HP / TQ number. for people who think TQ is not that big of a deal drive a S2000 under 5k and see how fun and fast it is.:D

MiamieNeSeX said:
The BBSC with 6lbs has almost the same HP, I am curious what the HP is on the 8 lb BBSC. Of course your 12 PSI and up kits have the internals done on the motors, those numbers are very impressive.
You Da Man

I bet the BBSC kit will not have the TQ the turbo does. If the BBSC is at 12 psi I bet it will make the same TQ as the turbo does at 6-8 PSI.

My '94 with BBSC, headers, cat bypass and aftermarket cat back exhaust made 292rwhp and 270ft/lbs of torque at 5.5psi. Peak hp was at 7800 rpms. I apologize as I don't recall what rpm the peak torque was at. I'll be upgrading to the stand alone AEM engine management system in a couple of weeks. After getting that upgrade dialed in I will be bumping up the boost to 7.5psi and re-dynoing. I'll post results when I have them.

TampaBayNSX-R said:
My '94 with BBSC, headers, cat bypass and aftermarket cat back exhaust made 292rwhp and 270ft/lbs of torque at 5.5psi. Peak hp was at 7800 rpms. I apologize as I don't recall what rpm the peak torque was at. I'll be upgrading to the stand alone AEM engine management system in a couple of weeks. After getting that upgrade dialed in I will be bumping up the boost to 7.5psi and re-dynoing. I'll post results when I have them.

292 rwhp?

MiamieNeSeX said:
The BBSC with 6lbs has almost the same HP

This may be true, but it is not a valid comparison point as it does not tell the entire story.

Chances are Gerry's turbo will have much greater area-under-the-curve than a BBSC even with similar peak hp measurements.

And we all know that the area-under-the-curve is what truly matters for a stree-centric NSX, not the peak hp parameter.

Moreover, chances are Gerry's torque curve will be significantly more compelling than the BBSC's.

I highly doubt the BBSC with a similar peak HP rating can produce 300 ft lbs of torque at a mere 4500 RPM the way Gerry's turbo can.

8000RPM said:
This may be true, but it is not a valid comparison point as it does not tell the entire story.

Chances are Gerry's turbo will have much greater area-under-the-curve than a BBSC even with similar peak hp measurements.

And we all know that the area-under-the-curve is what truly matters for a stree-centric NSX, not the peak hp parameter.

Moreover, chances are Gerry's torque curve will be significantly more compelling than the BBSC's.

I highly doubt the BBSC with a similar peak HP rating can produce 300 ft lbs of torque at a mere 4500 RPM the way Gerry's turbo can.

Ok but I asked what the HP and Torque numbers were, not which one you liked better

Gerry Johnson said:

Gerry, you mentioned that the peak hp numbers were achieved between 7300-7500 rpm, regardless of the boost level kit. At what rpm are the peak torque numbers achieved for each of the different boost level kits? Over 5000 rpm you say that 300 ft-lbs are on tap, but at approximately what rpm did the torque peak?

Also, out of curiosity, what are the hp and torque numbers at 3000 rpm for each of the different boost level kits? This would probably show the biggest difference when compared to the BBSC.

Are there any plots we can see? That would be an easier way of answering my questions above.

Thanks.

-CiaoBoy

what are the hp and torque numbers at 3000 rpm for each of the different boost level kits? This would probably show the biggest difference when compared to the BBSC.

Are there any plots we can see? That would be an easier way of answering my questions above.

Thanks.

-CiaoBoy [/B][/QUOTE]
At 8psi @3000rpm it made 212ft lbs and reached it's peak at 4500 and stayed there untill 6000rpm before dropping to 290 ft lbs at 7000rpm.
At 12psi @ 3000rpm it made 228 ft lbs and peaked at 5000rpm and dropped down to 350 ft lbs at 7000rpm.
I will be posting all dyno plots for everyone to view as soon as I go back and dyno the car at 20psi, I will be putting everything on the pansx website, I will let everyone on Prime know when it is finished.

Originally posted by CiaoBoy
what are the hp and torque numbers at 3000 rpm for each of the different boost level kits? This would probably show the biggest difference when compared to the BBSC.
My CTSC Zanardi is making 230 TQ at 3K RPM while my centrifugal SC M3 is making 210 TQ there. In the positive displacement Zanardi, that's close to peak torque (256 ft/lbs), whereas in the centrifugal M3 SC, peak torque (278 ft/lbs) doesn't arrive till much later in the rev range. The BBSC, being a centrifugal, should be more like the M3...

Hey, I can probably beat a turbo from idle to 3K! ;) After that, though, it's game over with the turbo going into warp speed... :eek:

Last edited:
When I was running the car on the dyno all runs started at 3000rpm in forth gear, so at 3000rpm when the test began, the motor was not at it's full potential to be making the most out of that rpm starting point, the next time I go to the dyno I will start the runs at 2500rpm and see what the torque is at 3000rpm. Most dyno runs are started around 3000rpm so it might be fair to say if yours was tested the same way then you to will be making more at 3000rpm if the test is started at a lower rpm.

Quote:

What are the top numbers for all of the superchargers and turbo set ups both HP and Torque. List all additional mods (Headers Exhaust ,EMS etc.

Comptech
Group M
Basch

Gerry Johnsons Turbo
Other Turbos

With all the great gains being made over the summer and throughout the winter, I was hoping to bring this thread back to light to shed some imformative light to those that wish they were producing these numbers...
Maybe now everyone has their Dyno Plots to display.
C'mon guys post em if you got em, or just talk about them again.
I have to live vicariously through you all.
Lets see them. You all have had almost a year.

Last edited:
Are you trying to compare HP from different brands of dynos?
And are you looking at Rear wheel, crank?
Is it SAE, uncorrected, Std, DIN?

You may want to ask to have people post the charts and see what you are trying to compare.

Arata said:
Are you trying to compare HP from different brands of dynos?
And are you looking at Rear wheel, crank?
Is it SAE, uncorrected, Std, DIN?

You may want to ask to have people post the charts and see what you are trying to compare.

I think that on this forum we (those of us in the USA) generally refer to SAE corrected at the wheels, and we all recognize the inherent problems with comparing between different dynos, especially of different types. However, some things are still of interest and value such as the shape of the power curves, AFR, etc. So yes, posting charts should be a given, and if you read Len’s post he did mention it.

Back