How would you deal with this Car Dealership?

politely contact lexus and relay the events. More importantly, I'd contact the OWNER of the dealership group, not just the GM of that lexus branch. It sounds like they have a much bigger presence than just one dealership, and they surely want positive image in the marketplace. For all you know, this little GM may already be on the ropes with the bigger dealership group.

good luck and thanks for reminding us all---"caveat emptor".

Thanks for the input. I did call Lexus last week and documented my experiences. Customer service at Lexus was apologetic and said they would make inquiries into the dealership.

And yes, the dealership is very large. They own a Nissan, Honda, Cadillac, Hyundai, Chevrolet, Lexus, Saturn, Isuzu, Mazda, Toyota, Mercedes, Acura and Oldsmobile.

Anyway, I'm moving on. I'll just believe that what comes around goes around.

Caveat emptor.

Just a note on two things;

Even if you got in writing that the car had no paintwork, how could you prove that the paintwork was not done in your year of ownership. I'm NOT saying that this is what happend, OR condoning what happened, just saying that having it in writing does nothing for you.

Also, NOT ALL dealers are like this. I pride my self on a thourough inspection of cars for previous paint work, BEFORE I take them on trade, or buy them. Further, I ALWAYS disclose the paint work to people who are serious about buying the car.

An example: I had a 98 Porsche C2S that I asvertised, and sold in less than a week. I continued to get calls on the car for weeks later due to the delay of some ads in magazines. In the meantime, I contacted someone who had another 98 C2S, that had approached me earlier in the year about buying it. At the time, I gave it a walk around, but not a thourough inspection. I represented this car to one of my callers as original. He was interested, and was trading an NSX!!
He gave a deposit, and I hadn't even gotten the car yet. When the car came in, I gave it my usual THOUROUGH inspection on the lift, and noticed the texture of the paint on the left qtr was a tad smoother than the door. I looked closer, and found that the left qtr had indeed been painted. It was done very well, and had not sustained serious damage, most likely a scratch, or a small ding that cracked the paint.
I immediately called the customer, and told him what I had found. While he was initially shocked, and was thinking he didn't want the car, I assured him that it was quality work, but if he wanted his deposit back, I'd certainly give it to him. After thinking it over, he decided to buy the car any way. I had my detailers wetsand the door a bit to match the texture better, and the car looked fabulous.

I got a call from him today gushing about the quality, and cleanlieness of the car, and thanking me for being so honest, and upfront about our whole deal.

VERY few dealers are like me, but I couldn't possibly be like them!!!

------------------
Steve
89 325is "snowmobile"
91 NSX
01 MDX
02 M3 SMG

"automotive indulgence"
www.thelastdetail.com

I would also file a complaint with the Better Business Burough. Many people check there to see how many unresolved compaints there are and it does get their attention.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Back