How Well do 10+ year old NSX's hold up? Common problems?

Hugh said:
1993 NSX acquired as fourth owner 2 1/2 years ago with 70K miles. Car now has 160K miles.
Timing belt/water pump service was done at 80,000 miles in Feb of 2004. I'll need a new belt in about 6 months or so.
If you're still putting 3K miles per month on your car, you should get the timing belt done in three months, not six (since that's when you will hit the recommended 90K mileage interval since the previous replacement).

If you still have the original cooling system hoses, I suggest replacing them when you do the timing belt and water pump replacement.

Hugh said:
I wonder if that will be some kind of record.
I doubt it. There are NSXs around with over 200K miles and one would hope they have already had their second timing belt replacement done.

Similarly, according to the recommended maintenance schedule, any '91 should have had its first timing belt replacement by 1997, and its second by 2003. I know many, probably most, of them haven't had two replacements yet (and some people are asking for trouble by still using the original one on a '91), but I'm sure there are also quite a few NSXs that have had two replacements due to time as well as mileage.

nsxtasy said:
If you're still putting 3K miles per month on your car, you should get the timing belt done in three months, not six (since that's when you will hit the recommended 90K mileage interval since the previous replacement).

If you still have the original cooling system hoses, I suggest replacing them when you do the timing belt and water pump replacement.

Honda upped the recommended interval from 6 years/90K miles to 7 years/105K miles. I know they did this with a later model year than my 93 but the parts are the same. I'm sure it will get done somwhere between 90 and 105K of usage.

Sorry that I didn't mention it before but the cooling system hoses were replaced with the previous timing belt service and will be replaced again with the next one.

Back