How Well do 10+ year old NSX's hold up? Common problems?

How do older/higher mileage nsx's hold up?

I'm thinking of buying a '92 with 95,000 miles on it. The VIN is JH4NA115XNT000496 and the carfax is clean.

The car would be my daily and I need to know what kind of reliability I would get out of it.

-Brett

Re: How do older/higher mileage nsx's hold up?

If you do a quick search for high mileage cars you'll find that these cars hold-up extremely well at extremely high miles... given proper maintenance.

Death said:
I'm thinking of buying a '92 with 95,000 miles on it. The VIN is JH4NA115XNT000496 and the carfax is clean.
The car would be my daily and I need to know what kind of reliability I would get out of it.
-Brett

95k miles for NSX is really nothing, if the car is regularly maintained, chances are it will run just as well at 300k miles. I have actually seen one NSX with 300k+miles and one with 280k miles on the sameday.

At our Dyno Day down here in San Diego, a stock 1991 with 160k miles pulled 252 rwhp on the dyno. I don't know about other components but with proper maintenance I'd say the motors are golden!!! :smile:

Mine's a '91, had 3 owners (me being the third), with 145,000 miles on it. Runs like a dream. It hasn't had a single problem (except for the AC going out) aside from the typical wear and tear. It has held up infinitely better than my '95 Lexus. You can tell which side I park my NSX on in my garage. My Lexus has small leaks and drips from time to time, while the NSX is as tight as a drum. You can eat off the floor, it's that clean on the NSX's side of the garage. I don't track my car, but I don't baby it either and it's held up fine.

I'm currently the owner of a '95 rx7, I'm looking for similar peformance without all the f---ing headaches.

There's an nsx with around 50k that I might be picking up if I can get rid of my car soon enough. This is low mileage, obviously, but if I buy this nsx, I will not be able to afford another car as a daily driver. The nsx will be it. Are there any common problems with this car? It's a '94 so I know there is no issue with the snap ring. I did hear that the AC compressors in the older nsx's like to go out a lot.

How well do these motors hold up into the higher mileage? If I buy an nsx, I have plans for boost. If I end up with a higher mileage nsx then I was speaking about above, I don't want to be worrying about rebuilding the engine.

Also, are parts for this car rediculously expensive? (I have a feeling "yes" is the answer)

Basically, give me the lowdown.

Mine is driven daily. I'm at 160K. No issues but hoses and clutch before 120K. At about 150K I had to replace CV, starter and ABS died.

So you want a reliable car, but you want to keep making mods that reduce reliability? Sounds like a plan... :rolleyes:

nsxtasy said:
So you want a reliable car, but you want to keep making mods that reduce reliability? Sounds like a plan... :rolleyes:

You have to understand, he is coming from an FD.
1. Mods can make an FD more reliable
2. Even a mildly modded NSX is more reliable than #1

MLmotorsport said:
About the same as 8 months ago
Busted! :D

Death,

Once a topic has been created, you can be considerate to your fellow NSXprime members by posting additional questions and information to the same topic, instead of creating a new one. That way, everyone can see what has already been posted.

nsxtasy said:

No, I'm not looking for civic reliability. I just don't want an NSX, if I were to buy one, to end up being the money pit that an FD rx7 is. It may cost more, but so long as it stays running without major issues and without being in the shop more then it's being driven, I'd be happy. The damn thing wouldn't see boost for at least a year or two after I got it and even then it would probably only be something like 6psi.

RyRy210 said:
Death, since you are only 17, I would try to get into college before undergoing these projects. No punt intended.

I am in college. I also work full time.

MJK said:
You have to understand, he is coming from an FD.
1. Mods can make an FD more reliable
2. Even a mildly modded NSX is more reliable than #1

Lol I'm sure a lightly boosted NSX is a lot more reliable then a stock/reliability modded FD. To say the least, the motor will last twice as long, but probably cost twice as much to rebuild.

MLmotorsport said:
About the same as 8 months ago

haha, sorry

I completely forgot I made that thread. I bought my FD shortly after that.

Death said:
I am in college.

And you think it would be a smart idea to leave your NSX parked while you are in class?

haha... wow...

I hated leaving my RSX parked in the lot while I was in class... the NSX would have never made it onto campus when I wasn't just rolling through.

Last edited:
Death said:
I am in college. I also work full time.

You're kinda like me. I skipped a few grades in High School and entered college a few years earlier than the norm. I didn't work full time though. I went to school full time and worked part time. So I take it you're the other way around (work full time and school part time).

NsXMas said:
Fuggit about it dude. It's way too expensive for you to own and boost. Unless you got a sugar mamma or daddy.

Yeah if I end up buying one it might actually end up being 2-3 years or even more before it would see boost, especially because saving for a supercharger wouldn't be the first thing on my list.

The one nice thing about my FD is for a few grand I can run 340-360ish rwhp in an even lighter car and still be able to afford a daily driver. I do have my issues with FD's though and an NSX is very appealing when I look at what kind of sporty cars out there I can get for $30kish.

RyRy210 said:
You're kinda like me. I skipped a few grades in High School and entered college a few years earlier than the norm. I didn't work full time though. I went to school full time and worked part time. So I take it you're the other way around (work full time and school part time).

My situation is a lot more complex then that and I actually have a GED and not a diploma, but yes, I'm a part time student and a full time worker. Soon I'm going to do both full time. I have a job lined up for the future though that should be paying me very well (but I'm short on details right now :-\).

So far my NSX has had zero problems (aside from maintenance), and has had none in the past with the exception of the door handle, which was an easy 20 minute fix from SOS.

mine has held up very well. only real problem i have had has been replacing the a/c compressor twice in a little over two and a half years of ownership. everything else has been very minor.

synergy004 said:
depends on how the previous owners cared for the car.

EXACTLY!! Any car is only as good as its maintenance and how it was treated. That is the key. If it was at least moderately cared for you will be fine.

The short version:
1993 NSX acquired as fourth owner 2 1/2 years ago with 70K miles. Car now has 160K miles. Driven daily, tracked occasionally. Never had a serious issue, only one or two minor and common NSX gremlins (replaced a window regulator and last week BrianK repaired my CCU whose leaky caps were causing the display to flicker.)

The original clutch lasted 130,000 miles. Replaced it with an OEM clutch and also replaced clutch master and slave cylinders. Timing belt/water pump service was done at 80,000 miles in Feb of 2004. I'll need a new belt in about 6 months or so. I wonder if that will be some kind of record. :)

Preventative maintenance:
Coolant changed every six months (thats about every 20K miles)

Oil and filter are changed once a month. OEM filter and Amsoil ATM 10W-30. Also using Auto-Rx with every oil change.

Tranny fluid changed every six months. 2 parts GM Synchromesh Friction Modified and 1 part regular GM Synchromesh.

I only use Chevron or Shell gasolines. (The only Top Tier brands sold in my area.)
Redline SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner is used about once a month.

Interior regularly treated with Lexol products. Exterior is washed fairly regularly as it gets dirty fast with whatever car wash is on sale. (Soap is soap) And waxed every 3 months with whatever synthetic wax I have lying around at the time. I don't care what your mommy told you, Carnauba is evil, overhyped, often overpriced and the last thing you want on a modern clearcoat finished automobile. For in between washings I use Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish.

That's about it. Just change fluids regularly, maintain the interior and exterior finishes and follow recommended service intervals and an NSX will probably outlive its owner.

Back