How to make a 3.0 as quick as type R?

Hi Guys,

I am so excited on the arrival of my new nsx in a few weeks.

Just a quick question i have seen on youtube a NSX R being very quick on a quarter mile especially against some real powerful cars.

How would i make a stock 3.0 nsx with a modified exhaust as quick?

any help appreciated

thanks in advance

You may want to do a search here as there are hundreds, if not thousands, of posts on how to make your car faster. You want it faster, add headers and exhaust (and delete the cats) (intake has been proved to be useless). You want it fast, install a nitrous kit, a turbo (or two), or a supercharger.

Headers, Exhaust, and a ProSpeed Chip with high flow cats are a good starting point if your going to stay NA. After that then its an exercise in weight reduction.

If you really are concerned with 1/4 mile times, then short gears and a new ring and pinion will help you get off the line quicker.

The Type R has a good amt of weight Reduction going on, tighter suspension, stiffer chassie parts and a number of aero parts.

If you are gunning for the Type R in 1/4 miles time..

I would consider... ECU Chip, Exhaust, Headers, Cat Removal, Full intake System, and Short Gears. This will get you ahead of a Type R in straight line power.

A simple one mod change to make it much faster would be a comptech blower.

Consider After Market Seats for lighter Weight, Remove your Spair Tire and equipment, light weight Battery. The Type R has no radio as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it.

Hopefully i will be taking to some track days

My friend has a smg e46 m3, any idea how that would do against mine on a track/straight?

Sorry for the questions but i just cant wait for it, has been my dream car for a long time.

Hi Big D,

From what you said, will the first part put on the same level as a NSX R?

Thanks

Unfortunately, No. The problem with the 5 Speed is when you shift into 2nd gear you are outside of Vtec range. That is why short gears is a must for improvement in 0-60 times.

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it.

Hopefully i will be taking to some track days

My friend has a smg e46 m3, any idea how that would do against mine on a track/straight?

Sorry for the questions but i just cant wait for it, has been my dream car for a long time.

If you start on a roll in 2nd gear you might have a chance. From a dead stop, I would say no. Depending on driver experience, the cars are pretty comparable on the track.

Wow, there's a lot of misinformation in this thread...:eek:

Headers, Exhaust, and a ProSpeed Chip with high flow cats are a good starting point if your going to stay NA. After that then its an exercise in weight reduction.

If you really are concerned with 1/4 mile times, then short gears and a new ring and pinion will help you get off the line quicker.

What makes the NA2 NSX-R quick is a number of things. First and most significant is lighter weight. The NSX-R is about 100 kilos lighter than the standard NSX coupe. Second, the engine is balanced and blueprinted resulting in slightly more power--up to 10% more. Third, the suspension is outstanding. Fourth, there are some aero upgrades like the rear spoiler and lower diffuser but the benefit is minimal and only something a great driver on a track can take advantage of. And finally, the brakes, tires and wheels are slightly better.

So, the first and most important item is weight. Reduce it as much as possible. Consider lightweight options to replace existing parts like seats, batteries, etc. This can get expensive of course.

Next, power. Only headers and exhaust have been proven to generate more power in an NA NSX. Unfortunately, you'll be capped after these mods to about 30 more hp. There's really no way to free up any more hp on an NA NSX motor. Chips, intakes, filters, throttle-body mods and AM cats altogether might generate no more than a couple of hp. Not worth it IMO.

If one were to remove cats completely and/or use test pipes then that would probably help but that's illegal in most areas and can be a PIA to deal with.

Next, you can install NA1 NSX-R short gears and the Type-R 4.235 final drive and it will improve 0-60 times by about .25 second. It will certainly give you the feeling that you're faster. But make no mistake, shorties and the 4.235 will result in diminished 0-100+ and 1/4 mile times.

Next, improve your suspension with a nice set of coilovers or just go with the Type-R suspension itself. It's a firm ride but it is one of, if not the, best performing options. Also don't forget the NSX-R chassis bars and rear sway.

Finally, get better brake pads, rotors, brake fluid and install some brake cooling ducts. The wheels don't have to go but replace your tires with something stickier.

Another great, cheap and effective mod is the short shift block. Reduces shifter throw by about 25%.

With all these mods your OEM NSX coupe should be comparable to the NA2 NSX-R in all capacities but the NSX-R motor will most likely have slightly more hp--up to 280 whp while any bolt-on modded NSX motor will be capped at about 270 whp no matter what you do short of FI/stroker.

Also, the NA2 NSX-R uses the standard 6-speed tranny which is better geared in all gears providing the best balance of performance both in 0-60 times and 0-100+/1/4 mile scenarios. My recommendation for greatest overall performance increase would be to forget the short gears/4.235 and simply install the OEM 6-speed.

And yes, a simple CTSC install would probably make any OEM NSX as fast or faster than the NA2 NSX-R in a straight line.

**Edit** The JDM 5-sp short gears coupled with the 4.235 R & P are actually faster than the OEM 5-speed at all speeds up to 140 MPH. The shorties with the CT 4.55 R & P are actually even faster at almost all speeds up to 140 MPH. The 6-speed is very close to the JDM 5-sp/4.235 all the way up the ladder and only slightly behind the JDM 5-sp/4.55 all the way up.

Last edited:
why don't you drive the car first, than learn to drive it better and than find out how fast it really is instead of trying to get it to be as fast as the best motoring "ringer" cars. when best motoring had tsuchiya's personal modded type R he was afraid that it might not beat the bone "stock" NSX-R that honda had always let them use in the past test.

thats just food for thought.

Last edited:
why don't you drive the car first, than learn to drive it better and than find out how fast it really is instead of trying to get it to be as fast as the best motoring "ringer" cars. when best motoring had tsuchiya's personal modded type R he was afraid that it might not be the bone "stock" NSX-R that honda had always let them use in the past test.

thats just food for thought.

+1

One sure way to get your NSX faster is to drive better.

Also, a bone stock NSX is already a very quick car. Drive it for at least 6 months before making any decisions concerning mods.

What makes the NA2 NSX-R quick is a number of things. First and most significant is lighter weight. The NSX-R is about 100 kilos lighter than the standard NSX coupe. Second, the engine is balanced and blueprinted resulting in slightly more power--up to 10% more. Third, the suspension is outstanding. Fourth, there are some aero upgrades like the rear spoiler and lower diffuser but the benefit is minimal and only something a great driver on a track can take advantage of. And finally, the brakes, tires and wheels are slightly better.

So, the first and most important item is weight. Reduce it as much as possible. Consider lightweight options to replace existing parts like seats, batteries, etc. This can get expensive of course.

Next, power. Only headers and exhaust have been proven to generate more power in an NA NSX. Unfortunately, you'll be capped after these mods to about 30 more hp. There's really no way to free up any more hp on an NA NSX motor. Chips, intakes, filters, throttle-body mods and AM cats altogether might generate no more than a couple of hp. Not worth it IMO.

If one were to remove cats completely and/or use test pipes then that would probably help but that's illegal in most areas and can be a PIA to deal with.

Next, you can install NA1 NSX-R short gears and the Type-R 4.235 final drive and it will improve 0-60 times by about .25 second. It will certainly give you the feeling that you're faster. But make no mistake, shorties and the 4.235 will result in diminished 0-100+ and 1/4 mile times.

Next, improve your suspension with a nice set of coilovers or just go with the Type-R suspension itself. It's a firm ride but it is one of, if not the, best performing options. Also don't forget the NSX-R chassis bars and rear sway.

Finally, get better brake pads, rotors, brake fluid and install some brake cooling ducts. The wheels don't have to go but replace your tires with something stickier.

Another great, cheap and effective mod is the short shift block. Reduces shifter throw by about 25%.

With all these mods your OEM NSX coupe should be comparable to the NA2 NSX-R in all capacities but the NSX-R motor will most likely have slightly more hp--up to 280 whp while any bolt-on modded NSX motor will be capped at about 270 whp no matter what you do short of FI/stroker.

Also, the NA2 NSX-R uses the standard 6-speed tranny which is better geared in all gears providing the best balance of performance both in 0-60 times and 0-100+/1/4 mile scenarios. My recommendation for greatest overall performance increase would be to forget the short gears/4.235 and simply install the OEM 6-speed.

And yes, a simple CTSC install would probably make any OEM NSX as fast or faster than the NA2 NSX in a straight line.

:biggrin: really enjoyed your comments.

why doesn't he buy a NA2 6 speed NSX?

when i decided to purchase mine, i know that it must be NA2 6 speed. i was told that NA2 is significantly faster than NA1.

N/A mods aren't going to get you faster then a type R. You are talking hundreds of pounds of weight reduction and better gearing then the NA2, much less the NA1 which is pretty close to terrible for drag. I haven't even mentioned the blueprinted NA2 motor with a conservative 300-310hp.

Frankly I wouldn't worry about it. The car is already very capable, you will probably be lacking for a long time before the car needs work.

If you need more power and you have everything else [brakes/suspension] balanced, a supercharger that you can sell later if need be is more efficient. The gearing with the NA1 is actually quite nice with FI as well IMO.

Last edited:
:why doesn't he buy a NA2 6 speed NSX?

You'd have to ask him. Maybe he wants a coupe?

An NA1 can make up significant ground in the power department on a NA2 with just header replacement. Improved header design accounts for most of the 20 hp increase in the NA2.

The 6-speed is most definitely the best all-around gearing. The shorties will be great 0-60 but for 1/4 mile times and/or on a larger track you'll suffer.

And I do agree with sahtt that you'll be putting in an awful lot of work to get your NA1 coupe even close to the Type-R and you'll still have a "slower" tranny and less powerful engine. There's no realistic way that you'll get an NA1 to be consistently as fast or faster than a NA2 NSX-R with bolt-ons alone. You can come real close but not quite.

N/A mods aren't going to get you faster then a type R. You are talking hundreds of pounds of weight reduction and better gearing then the NA2, much less the NA1 which is pretty close to terrible for drag. I haven't even mentioned the blueprinted NA2 motor with a conservative 300-310hp.

Frankly I wouldn't worry about it. The car is already very capable, you will probably be lacking for a long time before the car needs work.

If you need more power and you have everything else [brakes/suspension] balanced, a supercharger that you can sell later if need be is more efficient. The gearing with the NA1 is actually quite nice with FI as well IMO.

i love the gearing on my na1. my friends with ultra short gearing in their EVO's and STi's call my car the 2 speed automatic car lol. i would get them everytime because they have to shift 4 times vs my 2. and everytime they shift they would fall back.

i love the gearing on my na1. my friends with ultra short gearing in their EVO's and STi's call my car the 2 speed automatic car lol. i would get them everytime because they have to shift 4 times vs my 2. and everytime they shift they would fall back.

Low-end power is what gives you the advantage there. I guarantee the Evo, STi or S2000 would be even slower if they had gearing identical to the OEM NSX 5-speed. And the NSX would still be faster 0-60 with short gears--it's just that the true JDM shorties hurt acceleration beginning at about 70 MPH. At that point the OEM 5-speed is faster and the 6-speed much faster, although the 6-speed is faster at all speeds except 0-40 (1st gear is the same for the OEM, JDM and 6-speed)

Low-end power is what gives you the advantage there. I guarantee the Evo, STi or S2000 would be even slower if they had gearing identical to the OEM NSX 5-speed. And the NSX would still be faster 0-60 with short gears--it's just that the true JDM shorties hurt acceleration beginning at about 70 MPH. At that point the OEM 5-speed is faster and the 6-speed much faster, although the 6-speed is faster at all speeds except 0-40 (1st gear is the same for the OEM, JDM and 6-speed)

well i was talking about from 60mph+ since that is when v-tec engages in 2nd gear. from 60mph in 2nd gear + the stock 5 speed is a animal.

The reason i went for 3.0 was that it was a lot cheaper.

I know a 3.2 is lot better but more expensive.

I am not trying to make this car the quickest thing around, if that was the case i would have kept my evo 9 which was about 420ps.

I love the styling and the sound of these cars hence i want for it.

The reason i compare it against a nsx r is that on youtube it does seem very impressive and if i can make mine close to that than i would be happy.

I think its one of the best looking cars ever with a few little mods.

Thanks for the advice

I would say that was an overstatement...:rolleyes:

YES, I mis-spoke about the shorties and r&p ...they help your 0-60 times, NOT the 1/4 mile. I was relying on memory and it failed me on this topic.

I know your position about performance chips. I have the ProSpeed and it definitely improved the throttle response. On the dyno it increased 4 HP throughout the low to mid range. That was the Stage 2 and I have seen results that the Stage 3 is better. It depends on your supporting mods.

I agree that you will top out at around 270rwhp with a NA NA1 car.

BTW, The OP was asking about the NSX-R, there was no mention of it being a NA2. I think the 6 speed is cost prohibitive.

try this you'd be a real hit at any nsx meet

Attachments

• tornado.jpg
    tornado.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 363
Sooooo, you want to make modifications to a car that you don't even have yet so that it will be as impressive as a car you saw on youtube so that you will be happy with your purchase?

First , learn to drive your stock NSX. The car is a timeless classic because of its balance, design, and engineering. Although very capable, it isn't a 0-60 monster. If that's what you want, you bought the wrong car. The NSX-R is the next level of what the NSX represents, which is, again, not to be a 0-60 monster but to be one of the purest handling platforms ever.

Although I appreciate your enthusiasm for the car, you should respect the amount of time, money, and engineering knowledge that was already poured into your car. It is likely already well more than you can handle as a driver and the most significant improvement you can make to the performance of the car is to improve your skills as a driver.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

I would say that was an overstatement...:rolleyes:

YES, I mis-spoke about the shorties and r&p ...they help your 0-60 times, NOT the 1/4 mile. I was relying on memory and it failed me on this topic.

I know your position about performance chips. I have the ProSpeed and it definitely improved the throttle response. On the dyno it increased 4 HP throughout the low to mid range. That was the Stage 2 and I have seen results that the Stage 3 is better. It depends on your supporting mods.

I agree that you will top out at around 270rwhp with a NA NA1 car.

BTW, The OP was asking about the NSX-R, there was no mention of it being a NA2. I think the 6 speed is cost prohibitive.

No worries, I'm giving you a little credit on the Prospeed chip though. There's been a couple recent pieces of evidence that support a few hp with that chip so I'll concede that. My new position is essentially that it "may provide very minimal gains". :wink: I lumped it in with the other mods and said one may get minimal gains from all of them combined; actually, the only mod out of all of them that may in fact work is the chip.

And yes, I was certainly giving him the benefit on the NA2 NSX. I assumed the 6-sp, etc. was cost-prohibitive but he wanted to know, so I told him. It wouldn't be hard to get a NA1 coupe to NA1 Type-R levels. Just a basic weight reduction, good coilovers (or any NSX-R susp.) and normal bolt-ons.

Back