• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to correctly gift a car?

Sig

Experienced Member
I am going to give my current daily driver to my brother next week when my new daily driver is delivered. He will then give me his old beat up car, which I will then immediately donate to a charity.

What do I need to do to make sure this is done properly wrt titles/dmv/no sales tax implications, etc?

Second, do I need to register his old car if I plan to donate it immediately and never drive it?

Sig said:
I am going to give my current daily driver to my brother next week when my new daily driver is delivered. He will then give me his old beat up car, which I will then immediately donate to a charity.

What do I need to do to make sure this is done properly wrt titles/dmv/no sales tax implications, etc?

Second, do I need to register his old car if I plan to donate it immediately and never drive it?

Just so you know tax laws and deductions have changed on giving cars to charity if that is your motivation. Your tax deduction is now what it sells for at auction not what you claim its worth. I sold my beater privately for this reason.

As for your other questions do you have DMV website to reference, what about calling them?

Back