how to clean this *part*

*refer to the red circled area...mine looks all rusted up and was wondering what are the best solutions to clean up the rust look and make it black again.

thank you in advance!

Hi,

i will clean those myself next week... mine are very rusty... i already cleaned my rear calipers and i will use the same way to do those: My Dremel 300 with a 538 Abrasive Brush

if you want, i will post here some before/after photos of it, as it will take a bit for me to post everything in my build thread... the brake overall i'm doing is taking a fair ammountof time... 4 weeks now, and counting...

After the cleaning i will paint it Black with some high temperature paint.

Nuno

Hi,

i will clean those myself next week... mine are very rusty... i already cleaned my rear calipers and i will use the same way to do those: My Dremel 300 with a 538 Abrasive Brush

if you want, i will post here some before/after photos of it, as it will take a bit for me to post everything in my build thread... the brake overall i'm doing is taking a fair ammountof time... 4 weeks now, and counting...

After the cleaning i will paint it Black with some high temperature paint.

Nuno

Nuno, i appreciate the write up. Please do post when you get the chance to as I would like to get it cleaned up and looking at least unrusted than it is now. It's not as bad, although it would be nice to clean it up a bit. Thanks!

most people paint them flat black
dunno.gif

I painted it silver. with the blk wheels, flat blk will work better.

just get a wire brush, get the dust out and then get some paint thinner, wiping the remaining off. then "psst psst" (spray) then you are done.

I believed i did that 4 yrs ago... and it still fine even with all the track hot temp.

showphoto.php

Last edited:
Yup , +1 on that.

Hi,

ok... i took a bit longer, but here are the dirty and clean pictures...

i just did this yesterday and i will post pictures of it painted flat black high temp paint,
which i intend to do until the end of the week, saturday the most.

Before:

After:

Nuno

Last edited:
PERFECT!!! :eek: absolutely what I plan on doing, however, either that color or black. what color is that exactly?

Hi,

PERFECT!!! :eek: absolutely what I plan on doing, however, either that color or black. what color is that exactly?

this is no color at all, it's the bare metal after i sanded it with a dremel with an abrasive brush... i love this look also, but the problem is that i'm affraid (and almost sure) that with time it will look all rusty again, being unprottected...so i will paint it flat black with hi temp paint... if some high temp clear coat existed, i would spray it all over this and my calipers also...
i really love this look of bare metal really clean

Nuno

Hi,

You mean like this?
VHTSP184.JPG
:eek::eek::eek:

that's it... i don't have access to that here in Portugal...i asked all over for High Temp clear coat spray...no one have..

can you gentle soul get me 4 cans and shipp them to me? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

i will have a thread posted tonight in DIY about all this and with photos of the calipers as they are now: bare to the metal.

Thanks,
Nuno

Hmm - I may have to do this myself and use the high-temp clear. I have Formula 5 Rojas and my center caps are faded and look like shit. Finding replacements (I tried) for the centercaps don't seem to be an option. :(

I'd rather replace, if anyone can point me in the right direction for ROJA center caps, that would be GREAT! Otherwise, looks like I'll be rolling up my sleeves.

Hmm - I may have to do this myself and use the high-temp clear. I have Formula 5 Rojas and my center caps are faded and look like shit. Finding replacements (I tried) for the centercaps don't seem to be an option. :(

I'd rather replace, if anyone can point me in the right direction for ROJA center caps, that would be GREAT! Otherwise, looks like I'll be rolling up my sleeves.

Your lucky day , caps can be had here for you!

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ce..._Parts_Accessories&_odkw=center+cap&_osacat=0

*refer to the red circled area...mine looks all rusted up and was wondering what are the best solutions to clean up the rust look and make it black again.

thank you in advance!

Have you tried Navel Jelly? I have not use it on my hub, but have used Navel Jelly on many rusted parts in the past. It dissolves the rust particles.

Have you tried Navel Jelly? I have not use it on my hub, but have used Navel Jelly on many rusted parts in the past. It dissolves the rust particles.

and where can i obtain this magical dissolving substance?

and where can i obtain this magical dissolving substance?

I use it to help remove the rust if it's really caked on. But if you buy a cup brush attachment for the drill, it's better to go dry IMO.

Go to Harbor freight, buy a cheap one. Then spend some time with a drill and get it nice and clean. Mask the area off and shoot it with some black brake paint. It will stay cleaned up for years!

30151.gif

I use it to help remove the rust if it's really caked on. But if you buy a cup brush attachment for the drill, it's better to go dry IMO.

Go to Harbor freight, buy a cheap one. Then spend some time with a drill and get it nice and clean. Mask the area off and shoot it with some black brake paint. It will stay cleaned up for years!

30151.gif

that's what I used to clean mine, it worked great :)

30151.gif

Yup Wire brush attachment. That was one of the first thing i did when I got my car.. remove the wheel, wire brush the hell out of it to remove rust, Can with Windex, let dry then paint caliper and rotor center. Silver was my choice.

Still looks good after 4 years.

Back