How much can i pick up a 91 X for?

NSXTASY! All the right questions

The 56000mile black had the 60K service just completed, clutch; water pump and timing belt had not been replaced.

The 37000mile red has only 37K water pump and timing belt were replaced due to age of the car and not high miles.

Obviously any cautious buyer would have it inspected buy an Acura dealer before completion of the deal. Both sellers are flexible with the price.

Both are selling for $28K. A worthy negotiator would assumedly purchase one for less. Let’s say you get one for $26500? $3500 would go a long way, if spent correctly and bring the NSX to tip top condition

b.gill said:
Isn't 12,000mi/yr the national average?
(just asking - I don't really know.)
I believe the national average has been increasing in recent years, and 15K is more typical - for most cars.

For the NSX, though, 5K miles per year is the approximate median mileage, with half the cars having mileage above that figure, and half below. Surveys on NSXprime have supported that figure.

vintagecarman said:
Let’s say you get one for $26500? $3500 would go a long way, if spent correctly and bring the NSX to tip top condition
Exactly. So you are, in effect, getting that "perfect used NSX" for $30K. (Which is still a pretty good deal.)

Now we are on the same apge

nsxtasy said:
Exactly. So you are, in effect, getting that "perfect used NSX" for $30K. (Which is still a pretty good deal.)

I feel the 91 37k for $28 is an outstanding deal! As a owner who was fortunate to get a 91 of the showroom floor in 90, I think you would agree?

thanks for everyones help!

vintagecarman said:
I feel the 91 37k for $28 is an outstanding deal!
It might be. Not all of the questions noted above are addressed - e.g. snap ring status, scheduled maintenance status (besides snap ring), etc. - so there's a lot more information needed IMO before proclaiming it an outstanding deal. But it sounds good so far (and the timing belt replacement is a good sign that the car may have been well cared for).

It's also worth noting that 90+ percent of owners feel that the car they are selling is in better-than-average condition. ;) Sometimes what appears to be an outstanding deal, is; and sometimes, it isn't. But I'm sure you already know that...

No, it proves that for a price that is only a couple grand less than $30K, not WAY less than $30K, you can find a car with AVERAGE miles, not LOW miles (56K is within 10K of average mileage for a '91 NSX), might or might not be "very clean", might or might not need major repairs, might or might not be in the snap ring range, hasn't been inspected by an unbiased expert, and with incomplete information on other items like the timing belt, window regulators, etc. Just to note why these things make a difference - if you have to pay for a timing belt replacement that is now seven years overdue :eek: , you're suddenly back around $30K.

And if it's really "under $30.00", I'll buy a hundred of them, please. :D

Thanks for providing yet another great example of the difference between a car that sounds like it might be that perfect used NSX

Yes, it proves that you can buy a NSX with a clean title, clean car fax with no accidents & low miles for a 91 well under $30K. that was the topic. feel free to split hairs on the rest. You are correct that there are many more questions to be answerd.

If you don't agree that 27K in low for a 91 we will never see eye to eye.

Your welcome for providing two excellent examples of low mile NSX for under 30K, and one that really is. [/B][/QUOTE]

I've already stated why these examples still lack enough information to proclaim anything as proof, and bely your false claims (e.g. "low miles" for an average-mile car). The only thing you have proved is that you still haven't presented an example with sufficient information to back up your allegation. As I said before, if this were true, with 216 used NSXs for sale on Autotrader now, anyone could easily present six such examples - and you haven't even presented one. Although you have admitted that it takes $30K to bring one up to perfect condition... and thank you for that.

Last edited:
monarch_kiss said:
I would say if '91 NSX with all clean title & mint. condition + not so high miles, you would prob have to start from 25k. I think $25k ~ $30k is the best price to get a perfect '91 NSX.

I found as excellent candidate in less than three hours. As a courtesy, I refuse to drag a seller though the process if I am not truly interested in buying the car.

RichH said:
Vintage Car Guy,

Of the 18 NSX deals you closed are any of the buyers on Prime?

Did you do most of them through a dealer or as Private Buyer?
Yes, tell us about your business. (Heck, it's free advertising, right?)

Are you a dealer - buying cars from owners and re-selling them? Or are you more of a facilitator - finding an owner with a car for sale on behalf of a potential buyer, for a fee (that is presumably on top of the purchase prices you are claiming)?

Are you quoting prices here for which you buy cars at wholesale auctions that are not available to the general public? Or are you claiming that you will be happy to sell anyone that "perfect" NSX, with none of the above common issues, for $25K? If the latter, you ought to have quite a few potential customers reading this who would be happy to let you prove your statements here.

RichH said:
Vintage Car Guy,

Of the 18 NSX deals you closed are any of the buyers on Prime?

Did you do most of them through a dealer or as Private Buyer?

I was a GM of a few independent luxury Car dealerships; one of my responsibilities was to buy inventory. I worked in Colorado and California. I found the best deals in where in the south; I would fly in and drive them back. I did buy one off prime in 2000. It was my 1st and my last automatic. It had low miles and a clean history. Maintenance was up to date and the pre-buy went fine. Less than 1000mile later the transmission failed. Fortunately that one was bought for a dealer.

Out of the 18 I have personally purchased seven. I have accumulated over 15000miles cross country

nsxtasy said:
Yes, tell us about your business. (Heck, it's free advertising, right?)

Are you a dealer - buying cars from owners and re-selling them? Or are you more of a facilitator - finding an owner with a car for sale on behalf of a potential buyer, for a fee (that is presumably on top of the purchase prices you are claiming)?

Are you quoting prices here for which you buy cars at wholesale auctions that are not available to the general public? Or are you claiming that you will be happy to sell anyone that "perfect" NSX, with none of the above common issues, for $25K? If the latter, you ought to have quite a few potential customers reading this who would be happy to let you prove your statements here.
Why all the hostility? All I have done was offer some assistance to some one who would like to find a nice NSX under $30K

Back off and chill out!

I’ve been buying and selling NSX for years because I have a great appreciation for the car. Along the way I have made a few super friends. Once I arranged a drive in northern California with four other NSX that I sold!

BTW one of my best friends was made by an NSX deal. I sold him a one 92 Silver one owner NSX with 80K for $27500. We have been very close ever since!

NSXTSY,

I am out of the luxury car market and sell investment quality muscle cars. I am NOT trying to round up any business or soliciting free advertising “as you suggest”. I simply believed that there was an excellent NSX to be had for less than $30K and was willing to search for one!

I have never thought buying an NSX from an Auction was a good idea however, I had a few dealer friends who have picked up a few off leases and made a killing on the open market. I would buy from private owners and advertise to the general public. Buy low sell High!

In conclusion, I am a huge fan of the NSX, truly miss dealing in them and share mutual respect for those who own or aspire to own one of the greatest sports cars ever built!

Have a nice day!
;)

vintagecarman said:
Why all the hostility? All I have done was offer some assistance to some one who would like to find a nice NSX under $30K

Back off and chill out!
My post wasn't hostile. I was not accusing you of using NSXprime for free advertising - I was offering you the opportunity to do so. My post was a sincere invitation for you to describe what appeared to be your business (based on your sig) and to see whether you could use it to back up your claims that that perfect NSX (with truly LOW miles, etc) is easy to find anywhere selling for $25K.

Chill out, indeed!

"how much can I pick up a 91 X for?"

back to your original question....

Let's just say I'm not cheap:D

but seriously, people think "oh man, I can get into an NSX for $25k!!" but fail to realize that after a few minor repairs or mods(suspension, wheels, etc) and all the sudden it's not as cheap as you think, God forbid you need major service like a 60K service with timing belt..a dealer will charge you over $2500 just for that..
also, make sure your driving record is clean!!! Insurance on an NSX with more then one point on your record is:eek: not cheap to say the least..I finally had a couple tickets come off my record and now my insurance is less then half what I paid last year($2400+)....

Now, if you can find an NSX with less then 60K on her with all the major service complete, no dents, clean interior, clean title, car fax, not in snap ring range, all records and a clean bill of health after the PPI by an Acura dealer for anywhere near $30K...BUY IT!!!

Last edited:
91 X said:
if you can find an NSX with less then 60K on her with all the major service complete, no dents, clean interior, clean title, car fax, not in snap ring range, all records and a clean bill of health after the PPI by an Acura dealer for anywhere near $30K...BUY IT!!!
Great advice!

Last edited:
To each is their own

Although the majority of NSX owners like the black roof personally, I like the painted roof.

Re: To each is their own

vintagecarman said:
Although the majority of NSX owners like the black roof personally, I like the painted roof.

So YOU were the one that bought that car? I called the owner and spoke with him a few weeks ago and he said someone in San Diego bought it for their son. Bummer...I wanted that car sooo bad. I think he said he let it go for $27,500....I offered him $28K for it (I would have offered him $28,500, if it came down to it), but he was a "man of his words"....turns out the guy is into muscle cars and his wife told him either the NSX goes or the Mustang goes. He opted to keep the Mustang. He bought the car on e-Bay. Car is from Virginia originally.:eek:

Back