How many miles are too many?

Would you purchase a '91 with 230,000 miles if the PPI was clean and all maintanence performed within last 5,000 miles/2 years (WP, belts, pads, spark plugs, clutch). Price $18,500.00. Everything checks out, but 230,000 miles. How many more miles can you put on the car and transmission? Great deal or just asking for trouble? Would be interested in Prime members advice. Thanks.

I'd rather have a well maintained, highway-driven 230,000 mile NSX than a poorly maintained, city-driven 100,000 mile NSX. These cars are capable of far more. There was an NA1 for sale a few years ago with 409,000 on an original drivetrain. I drive an Acura Legend with 519,500. Miles don't mean a thang. :)

Sounds like a pretty reasonable deal to me. Get some pics, do your due diligence in checking it out, and pull the trigger if it feels right! Good luck.

As the owner of a '91 myself with 185k mostly highway miles, I agree with 4cruizn that these cars are very durable if they're properly maintained. However, there are some expensive things that can still go wrong .. for example, the air conditioner compressor and, worse, the evaporator can be quite expensive repairs .. and it's probably tied more to age than mileage. I'd be wary of the transmission synchros as well .. mine aren't bad but first gear isn't as easy to get into as it used to be. And on older models, the master cylinder and clutch hydraulics are showing up more often now. The ABS has always been a problem .. but there are alternatives.
Now, on the flipside, most unknowledgable people will shy away from an NSX with only 100k miles so I'm pretty sure the seller isn't getting a lot of decent offers .. and in my mind, the price isn't out of line for one with current maintenance records and bought from someone who appears to be in the business of flipping vehicles.
Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I bought the car yesterday. Going to pick it up in Savannah (6 hr drive) a week from Saturday. The paperwork checks out and I have a PPI from the Acura dealership performed about 2 weeks ago. I figure at the price I am paying, if I have to put a little money into the car, I still got a great deal!
After I get back home to Tampa, I will have Shawn check out the car and let me know if anything needs to be repaired/addressed.
Eric

Thanks for the advice. I bought the car yesterday. Going to pick it up in Savannah (6 hr drive) a week from Saturday. The paperwork checks out and I have a PPI from the Acura dealership performed about 2 weeks ago. I figure at the price I am paying, if I have to put a little money into the car, I still got a great deal!
After I get back home to Tampa, I will have Shawn check out the car and let me know if anything needs to be repaired/addressed.
Eric

It's not the white one is it?

Welcome to the club!
Are you going to daily drive it?
You'll have to update us on mileage in the high mileage posts.
I personally don't see why you can't take it to 1,000,000 miles like people do with other Hondas.

I have 4 kids, 2 are younger and I usually drive them to school in the morning. So, during the school year I will be driving my 2012 Equus. Which, by the way is a wonderful car. But, whenever possible and daily during the summer months it will be the NSX as a daily driver for me. I will do my best to use it and it will definitely not be a garage queen.

Im glad another NSX is being brought down to tampa, I actually made 2 other guys buy one they love it, and the upgrades they have had me do to them is awesome.
I love it..

Wow that is clean for the milage definitely not what I was expecting for a car with 230,000 on the clock.

Edit: It is a full repaint I would be careful about that. Make sure you look it over good.

Last edited:
My 1992 has 147k and runs like a new car, with that said, 230k 18500 ehh
Not sure what I would do about that one, costly repairs from just wear and tear could start to creep up soon. May be better off findind a lower mile car for slightly more money low 20's

thats a lot of miles, but if you are on a budget then 18k is cheap. Has decent mods, new tail lights and rear valance, decent looking wheels over the stock 91's. I think 180k miles plus is pushing it for me. I had an acura tl with 205k miles, took me forever to sell, not many buyers are willing to over look mileage, even if its a Honda

Congrats on your NSX purchase tho, Welcome!

I'd rather have a well maintained, highway-driven 230,000 mile NSX than a poorly maintained, city-driven 100,000 mile NSX. These cars are capable of far more. There was an NA1 for sale a few years ago with 409,000 on an original drivetrain. I drive an Acura Legend with 519,500. Miles don't mean a thang. :)

Sounds like a pretty reasonable deal to me. Get some pics, do your due diligence in checking it out, and pull the trigger if it feels right! Good luck.

Tyson, I remember reading about your Legend coupe several years ago when you had something like 300,000 miles on it. WOW 519,000 miles!!! I remember seeing pictures of your coupe sitting in the Acura dealer's showroom during a special service promotion. The car looked like it had just been driven out of the factory. Wondered if you still had it and how many miles you were accumulating.

How about driving your Legend coupe to NSXPO 2013 in October????

Would you purchase a '91 with 230,000 miles if the PPI was clean and all maintanence performed within last 5,000 miles/2 years (WP, belts, pads, spark plugs, clutch). Price $18,500.00. Everything checks out, but 230,000 miles. How many more miles can you put on the car and transmission? Great deal or just asking for trouble? Would be interested in Prime members advice. Thanks.

How many miles (or km) doesn't matter to me, but the car's current condition does. When I bought my NSX I looked for one that had been driven - I don't think cars age well just sitting because mechanical bits need to move to stay lubricated. With that said I'd rather have a 300,000 mile (500,000 km) NSX that's been used and maintained well than a garage queen that has just a few thousand km on it. All the wearable parts are replaceable!

Tyson, I remember reading about your Legend coupe several years ago when you had something like 300,000 miles on it. WOW 519,000 miles!!! I remember seeing pictures of your coupe sitting in the Acura dealer's showroom during a special service promotion. The car looked like it had just been driven out of the factory. Wondered if you still had it and how many miles you were accumulating.

How about driving your Legend coupe to NSXPO 2013 in October????

Help me to convince him to come to both the National Acura Legend Meet (NALM) in Asheville and NSXPO in Raleigh =)

Well, I hope most of you are right. Going to Savannah on Saturday to pick up the car and if it checks out ok, to drive it home to Tampa. Seems like everything is up to date, including a PPI from the local Acura dealership. If anything does need repair, I will just take the car to Shawn and he'll fix whatever is needed. Can't wait to take her for a test drive. Looking forward to meeting other members.
Eric

Back