How many bought their NSX in a color they didn't want?

Just curious... the last car I bought was the last color I would have chosen... "cayenne metallic," but for the miles, maintenance and history of the car, I could not find a better deal... so I "settled." I still enjoy the car, of course, and I detail it once a week-ish...

Even still... I like to keep an eye on the NSX market to plan for that future purchase, but practically half of the cars that I could realistically afford are my least favorite color (red). Anyone wish they would have found a different color than what they wound up with?

Just curious... the last car I bought was the last color I would have chosen... "cayenne metallic," but for the miles, maintenance and history of the car, I could not find a better deal... so I "settled." I still enjoy the car, of course, and I detail it once a week-ish...

Even still... I like to keep an eye on the NSX market to plan for that future purchase, but practically half of the cars that I could realistically afford are my least favorite color (red). Anyone wish they would have found a different color than what they wound up with?

You really can't afford to be picky about the color of any used car you buy. NSX is not an exception. The chances are very small that the car you find that is in the best mechanical condition and is the best deal will also be in your favorite color.

I like yellow. What do you think the chances are of me finding an NSX coupe in yellow?

richard

Actually the one and only nsx coupe in yellow is for sale right now in southern california and on ebay.

yea, truth be told, I'm all over the blue NSX's -- but there really isn't any "bad color" for the car. so, in the end, I wanted something I was really comfortable with; ie; documentation, private owner with all the history, low miles - and it happened to be the red with black combination. still works for me :smile:

but if i ever find another good one in the future in Long Beach Blue Pearl, I may have to have her..... :biggrin: Jay

Yeah, wish I could have found one with a JDM color.:wink: However, color to me was secondary; I just wanted a nice one owner NSX! My budget constraints kept my choices to pre '97. I didn't want a T or Brooklands Green, so I was left with few choices. I passed on a black, missed out on a white and a silver and pulled the trigger on a red (my favorite color). I told myself I wanted a change as my last two cars were red, but here I am.:rolleyes: I guess I'm just re-stating what many others have said before that you should find one that has the most records and in the best condition for your budget and not factor in color as much as rare as these cars are. However, I do hope to purchase an '02+ someday and I will say that I'll be more selective then (wht/wht,blu/blu,org/org).:biggrin:

richard

Actually the one and only nsx coupe in yellow is for sale right now in southern california and on ebay.

It has a Salvage Title. :frown:

Here is the dumbest thing. My first NSX I wanted a black/black. I ended up buying my friend's GPW/Black and was very happy I bought the white. Now for my 2nd NSX, I wanted one of the blue colors, or silver. I'm scheduled to pick up a Black/Black next month. If I ever sell this one and pick up a 3rd, I think I'll hold out for the exact color combo I want at that time:biggrin:

i didn't have a clue what color the nsx i purchased would be until i showed up....but it is my favorite color combo, black/black. same as my 64 continental convertible and my corvette's. just can't beat a triple black vehicle. although the chrome wheels on the nsx really just kill it... need some darker wheels.

You really can't afford to be picky about the color of any used car you buy. NSX is not an exception. The chances are very small that the car you find that is in the best mechanical condition and is the best deal will also be in your favorite color.

I like yellow. What do you think the chances are of me finding an NSX coupe in yellow?

Yep. That's what I did. The color and the wheels (it has C4 "sawblade" wheels) were just wretched in my opinion (thank God they're not chrome!!). The color is starting to grow on me, though I will never get over those wheels. Still, when I nail the throttle in 1st gear on a freeway onramp, all those esthetic preferences go right out the window.

Last edited:
Im kind of in this predicament myself. My father picked up a Kaiser silver 97 Widebody with a ton of mods and just recently added a CTSC to it. He wants me to sell My black 92 NSX and buy his 97. I can get a killer deal on the car but I just do not like Silver. I would love to paint it black, or some crazy candy apple color and use the silver as a base. But it's costly to do a complete color change. The other thing is that I have invested so much money on my 92 everything has been done, it needs nothing the car is like new. I have not owned the 97 for 7+ years so I don't know what Im getting myself into.

Im kind of in this predicament myself. My father picked up a Kaiser silver 97 Widebody with a ton of mods and just recently added a CTSC to it. He wants me to sell My black 92 NSX and buy his 97. I can get a killer deal on the car but I just do not like Silver. I would love to paint it black, or some crazy candy apple color and use the silver as a base. But it's costly to do a complete color change. The other thing is that I have invested so much money on my 92 everything has been done, it needs nothing the car is like new. I have not owned the 97 for 7+ years so I don't know what Im getting myself into.

That's the other thing: some NSXs that are available at a good price have one or two particular things that may be annoying (just like my current car's wheels). Like, that Type-R spoiler that everyone seems to love so much. I hate it. But, something like that should be easy enough to swap back to OEM. I tend to stay away from the widebodies, though... they just look a little too extreme. I wonder what I'll end up with when I finally do get one....

Bolt on mods are not dangerous to a cars resale value. everything I change on the car, I keep the original parts to swap put one day, if needed. Some people like to sell the oem parts as soon as they install the aftermarket parts. thats a bad idea.

Bolt on mods are not dangerous to a cars resale value. everything I change on the car, I keep the original parts to swap put one day, if needed. Some people like to sell the oem parts as soon as they install the aftermarket parts. thats a bad idea.
very true. I still have all oem part for my fit and mr2. when I get a NSX, I will try to find one where the owner has OEM parts for what he replaced, minus wheels. But I still have my OEM MR2 Turbo wheels just in case it makes it easy to sell my MR2 and I would like to keep my TE37's.

BTW, what are the offsets for the NSX? If I can use my Volks that would be awesome.

I really wanted a black/black NSX, but went for a black/ivory because of the awesome deal and timing :cool: The seller even drove the vehicle from Socal to Norcal for me, all for the price of gas, since he was visiting family and wanted one last good run in the car.

I started out wanting silver but then I saw a white one for sale and just missed the perfect car with 22k miles on a 93. I went to the one I have now as it was more in line with what I wanted to spend and it ended up costing me an additional 5k in deffered maintenance. But now I have a really nice 91 with 48k miles and it's all up to snuff. You can't go to wrong with the colors but I would not have bought black or red. That narrowed it down fo me.

Some say you can't get the color you want - well it depends on how picky you are about other things. You know you can always take care of maintenance mechanical issues but it's damn hard to change the color. But when you find one that is original owner and all records - that means a hell of a lot and in a case like that - color has to take a back seat.

I'm happy with Silver - it's a great color to me. Even if I had a targa I would be inclined to have the top painted black like the coupes. It just looks so much better to me than all one color. Except for Silver - a silver targa looks really good to me. I would love a late model NSX in Silver. So I guess I'm pretty happy.

I bought what I wanted...impulse love. Now I am looking at others....hmm....Is it me or other color looks better...imola!

Can't and won't let my first love go...Long story.

Bought what I wanted, red, almost bought black as it met all my other requirements. In hindsight glad I didn't. Red has always been my true love...would consider getting a yellow one in the future though.

I wanted white just for the idea of having red seats on it, got a black/black

But i will still do the red and black interior, working with a member to buy his seat covers ;)

Back