How is Frenzo, CA to live?

NsXMas said:
By the way, part of the attraction of living in Fresno is that so many other people have a negative perception of it (most of which has no real basis other than hearing second hand facts about Fresno). This means that real estate will continue to be affordable compared to most other parts of California. Would you want to try to compete with everyone else in the State when buying your home? This is the same reason I bought a home in Phoenix - the hot summer months turn off many people who otherwise might drive up the prices there. Frankly, the more people are turned away from the areas that I want to live in, the better it is for me. :)

My mom is trying to convince me to move back after graduation because it's cheaper to live there and I can save money. My optometrist there is originally from LA. She just bought a house and is planning to stay for a few years to let it build equity then move back to So Cal.

MsKadyB, The main issue your optometrist will face is if the SoCal housing prices continue to climb at current rates it will be hard to buy back into the market. You won't get the same dollar increase in Fresno and will face a huge shortfall to rejoin the LA market IMO

As others have said, it all depends what you're looking for.

The central valley isn't for me; the air quality alone disqualifies it.

I'm in the next valley to the east, which is very sparsely populated. Many people couldn't stand the lack of city amenities here, but I love it.

coolnsx said:
MsKadyB, The main issue your optometrist will face is if the SoCal housing prices continue to climb at current rates it will be hard to buy back into the market. You won't get the same dollar increase in Fresno and will face a huge shortfall to rejoin the LA market IMO

That's probably true. But I think So Cal is in a housing bubble. Most people can't afford to buy homes there as it is, so the tendency to continue for price to move upward will be limited.

Fresno, however, has equalized with surrounding areas, like Tracy/Stockton, Sacramento...

I agree with Gil there. Why? he has been in business older than me?:D Anywho, most people thinks that Southern Cali real estates is a mere bubble. However, I am enjoying this bubble so far everytime I sold my house. I am in the business similarly to Gil and I believe that OC carries its own RE standard and economic system. Will the bubble burst? I think not!!! Will the price continue to climb.....I would say yes but not as quickly as it has been from the last 6-7 years.

my $.02cents

NsXMas said:
That's probably true. But I think So Cal is in a housing bubble. Most people can't afford to buy homes there as it is, so the tendency to continue for price to move upward will be limited.

Fresno, however, has equalized with surrounding areas, like Tracy/Stockton, Sacramento...

MsKadyB said:
It's ideal for people who like the quiet life and don't mind 100 degree summers. Since you're from Houston, it should be nothing to you.
NetViper is originally from Toronto. :eek:

PoohBEAR said:
I agree with Gil there. Why? he has been in business older than me?:D Anywho, most people thinks that Southern Cali real estates is a mere bubble. However, I am enjoying this bubble so far everytime I sold my house. I am in the business similarly to Gil and I believe that OC carries its own RE standard and economic system. Will the bubble burst? I think not!!! Will the price continue to climb.....I would say yes but not as quickly as it has been from the last 6-7 years.

my $.02cents

May be true. I just sat on a flight next to a guy from OC, who bought a home in 89ish, right before the defense industry collapsed. It took him 9-10 years before he could get out of his house in OC whole.

So can the RE crash? who knows. But no one can argue that the RE has risen far faster than income, and any degree of volatility in OC can cause the real estate to experience some downward pressure.

This discussion is very remniscent of the stock market discussion prior to its huge crash in 2000. Will things keep going up and up... I think the higher we go, the farther we have to fall...

By the way, just to show how things are crazy, a millionaire is making a bid on my house, just so that one of his employees can afford to buy my home. The average price of homes in my area is beyond the reach of normal middle class folks. That should really shock some reality into most people out there.

Income is not keeping parity with housing prices in Cali. At some point there will have to be a correction.

He may be right or just blowing smoke up your chimney. This guy that you mentioned must of bought his home in the millions. Up scales homes are in another arena and pricing seems to increase slower than regular homes. From all the logical sense, million dollar homes won't be selling as quick as those <1mil becuase there are not many people that can shove out 10 or 20% for down payment. On another hand, in the market of regular home, I bought one in the early 90's, tripled itself which I still have in my port. Another that I bought a few years ago doubled. Again, I believe we are talking in in a different pricing arena unless I am mistaken. If so, oooops for me:D

NsXMas said:
May be true. I just sat on a flight next to a guy from OC, who bought a home in 89ish, right before the defense industry collapsed. It took him 9-10 years before he could get out of his house in OC whole.

So can the RE crash? who knows. But no one can argue that the RE has risen far faster than income, and any degree of volatility in OC can cause the real estate to experience some downward pressure.

This discussion is very remniscent of the stock market discussion prior to its huge crash in 2000. Will things keep going up and up... I think the higher we go, the farther we have to fall...

NetViper-

NsXMas is right on. Don't listen to people who don't live here. I've been here for close to 14 years and love it. I've owned Lotus Esprits and now an 03 NSX. There are many other exotics in town and the Concourse d'Elegance in Fresno(May16th) is where you'll see about 1/2 of those exotics all in one place.

You'll live 2hours from the ocean and 1hour from mountains and lakes. I purchased my home for 127K and it was custom at about 1700sqf. My friend just purchased a new home in north Fresno for 219K and it is a beauty.

There is a great NSX mechanic in town and if you ever go into a Ferrari/Lambo/Lotus, there's a great mechanic for that too.

Fresno has some of the best restaurants in the state. The magazine "Living" did a piece on Fresno's dining and rated it some of the best in California. Population is around 600K+ and traffic is most of the time rare.

I've lived in Santa Barbara and Modesto and Fresno it better in my opinion (taking into account the cost of living).

This is the only place an Educator can own exotic cars :)

Thanks for the validation, eg9. I hope to see your NSX before I have to move to Phoenix... :)

eg9 said:
NetViper-

NsXMas is right on. Don't listen to people who don't live here. I've been here for close to 14 years and love it. I've owned Lotus Esprits and now an 03 NSX. There are many other exotics in town and the Concourse d'Elegance in Fresno(May16th) is where you'll see about 1/2 of those exotics all in one place.

You'll live 2hours from the ocean and 1hour from mountains and lakes. I purchased my home for 127K and it was custom at about 1700sqf. My friend just purchased a new home in north Fresno for 219K and it is a beauty.

There is a great NSX mechanic in town and if you ever go into a Ferrari/Lambo/Lotus, there's a great mechanic for that too.

Fresno has some of the best restaurants in the state. The magazine "Living" did a piece on Fresno's dining and rated it some of the best in California. Population is around 600K+ and traffic is most of the time rare.

I've lived in Santa Barbara and Modesto and Fresno it better in my opinion (taking into account the cost of living).

This is the only place an Educator can own exotic cars :)

Back