How important are High Miles?

When you are looking at a NSX,how many miles are issues with you? I am curious what the opinion is on mileage of the NSX.

mileage really doesnt mean crap you could have a car w/100k that was babyed and a car w/50k that has never changed the oil clutch is toast and has hit everything and there grandmother. The NSX is extremely reliable, mileage should be less of a concern. The things that would concern me are maintenance. How many owners the car has had, are there things that need to be replaced, and is the car clean. You can tell when a car was beat and not taken care of.

I purchased my car w/32k it was garage kept 1 owner it had some paint work but it was a descent job not great but livable. Know it has 65k new TB/WP all coolant hoses replaced valves adjusted new JDM gear set with the R final drive new clutch new Goodyear F1 tires new brakes and pads. Oil gets changed with Mobil 1 every 4k since new I know because i have all the receipts from the original owner. If I were in the market My car would be what I would be looking for regardless of the mileage. You are beter off geting a high milage car that was taken care of then a low milage piec of crap.:smile:

mileage really doesnt mean crap you could have a car w/100k that was babyed and a car w/50k that has never changed the oil clutch is toast and has hit everything and there grandmother...

That right there....right that down, because that is exactly right. Maintenance and usage are key, mileage is really secondary to that.

By the way, I have (2) NSXs, and I have driven the both huge amounts. Bought them with fairly low to average mileage, and now have about 133,800 on my 1994, and about 136,000 on my 1991. Maintenance is key, as my 1994 is my daily driver all year. Yes, even in the winter. These cars can take it, you just have to love them and they will love you back. :wink: :redface:

That green one on Craig's list is part of the reason I ask. I might pick it up if it is legit. 160k miles sounds like a hell of a lot though.

There are a couple documented 300K+ mile NSXs out there that I know about.

If I were to add a turbo, I would also freshen up the motor at the same time.

Hey Vegas...I bought my 91 Berlina beauty with 103,000 miles - it came with the following:

*Timing/ water pump
*Tein flex adjustable
*Dali exhaust
*Alpine dvd/ 10" sub, upgraded JL Audio speakers
*19" / 18" (new rears)
*19" / 18" Niche Rien rims
*Wings west kit
*New speed sensor
*Tune-up
*Valve adjustment
*New cam plug seals, valve cover seals
*Dali coolant resevoir

I never worried about the miles on the car because I knew that I was not in a position to afford a model with very low kms...what was important that I got the car that I wanted...let me tell you Brother...I will never forget seeing my machine for the first time!! Stunning!! It was more than I could believe!!!
Go for the green one...if you like the color.

Dam:cool:

All for $26,000.00

That green one on Craig's list is part of the reason I ask. I might pick it up if it is legit. 160k miles sounds like a hell of a lot though.

My previous 92 had something in the 175,000 on it.
And from the looks of it, its going to get another 200k as long as its looked after.
As has already been mentioned, just make sure its been taken care of.

That 160k is not a concern at all.
And quite frankly, as long as there isn't something major wrong with that car, its an excellent price. Have some reserve $$$ to address anything that does pop up. Check it out as best you can, but don't let little things keep you away.
If its fixable or you can live with it, you'll be in a sweet car for a very sweet price.

No fair you can't have two...

There are a couple documented 300K+ mile NSXs out there that I know about.

If I were to add a turbo, I would also freshen up the motor at the same time.

Doesn't Honda/Acura have a restoration program??

Doesn't Honda/Acura have a restoration program??

At one time you could refresh your NSX and have it sent to Japan but I am not aware of that being available anymore.

I am not buying two NSX cars so don't sweat it. The Green car hasn't called me back or emailed back. It doesn't sound promising at this point. The yellow 97' looks good but needs lots of maintenence over the next year or so. Otherwise is it solid shape though. It looked as good or nicer than his 2001 coupe.

Bought mine with 146K miles- which will keep about 99% buyers away. But both the compression & leak down test came back looking good. TB and clutch recently replaced as well. Afterwards, I paid for a full maintenance service just for peace of mind.

My intentions were to modify everything on the car anyways (sorry-can't drive stock) and make it better than before. Compared to a newer low mileage car, I bet most people won't even know the difference. I say go for it, but make sure you have some change laying around for maintenance costs.

The 01' coupe has a CTSC in it with Comptech exhaust and a few minor things. I took a ride in both and totally loved the supercharged car. I have to boost the nsx at some point when I get it. It just has to be faster than stock.

When you are looking at a NSX,how many miles are issues with you? I am curious what the opinion is on mileage of the NSX.

The automotive industry's life expectancy is at 100k:biggrin: Warrant's by manufacturer are void after 50k, extended warranties though sold by dealer are third party warranties to 100k some offer 120k at the most.

The Nsx is aluminum the advantage is no rust, after 30-40 years it becomes brittle like all metals. So life of body is 30-40 years. One member here who is Nsx tech in California has over 350k if im not mistaken. So engine has half life at 150k and expected to last 300-350k, transmissions I have heared lasting 200-250k.

Idealy you want the lowest mileage possible. On older cars 91-92 low mileage can be a bad thing if the maintance as been neglected. Say you buy one for 34k with 20,000 miles and has no maintance, it will require timing belt and A/C service which is 5-6k assuming it does not need tires brakes etc..

IMO the best NSX is one with all or most records regardless of year or mileage.

The 01' coupe has a CTSC in it with Comptech exhaust and a few minor things. I took a ride in both and totally loved the supercharged car. I have to boost the nsx at some point when I get it. It just has to be faster than stock.

What color combination was the 2001 Coupe? There are only a couple of those non-targa cars running around...wow.

Let me counter that question with another one :smile:

What year of NSX would you NOT buy because of the age of the car?
I think, basically, you would come up with the same answer. As long as the NSX has been taken care of, worn out parts replaced and pre-emptive maintenance done, it will last far longer than 200K miles.

IMHO, because of the way the car industry works, we are all expected to consider cars older 4-5 year an 'old' car. Because usually, that's the life-cyclus of modern cars. However, in the past, car models were renewed by car makers much less frequent.
Most NSXPrimers find it 'normal' that people pay 24K-35K for a NSX that's 14 years old. But most other people would not pay any car that old. Why? Because they have been led to believe that 14 year old car's are, because of their age, just old, rusted pieces of junk.

But we, enlightened as we are, we just know better ! :biggrin:

Would you rather have a virgin that didn't brush her teeth, bathe and just overall primped up or a gal that took good care of her body, does kegels and have had a few men, including Tyrones in her life.... or rather between her legs?
Since you put it that way .... :biggrin:

Here is another way I look at it. Assuming I buy the car I imagine I will sell it somewhere down the road. What will someone else think is too high miles to purchase the car? I may think it is fine but if the car ends up with 200k miles then what?

Here is another way I look at it. Assuming I buy the car I imagine I will sell it somewhere down the road. What will someone else think is too high miles to purchase the car? I may think it is fine but if the car ends up with 200k miles then what?

An Nsx with all records and 200k miles still pulls around 20 with no maintance required.

Buy the car enjoy it and if you have a change of heart life goes on you can always sell it.:biggrin:

Back