How I spent my Friday night! (Dash Crack Repair Easy!)

I pulled the dash to replace the cracked vents. This is the first time I have removed the dash and it went very smooth. There are a few difficult to get to screws, but nothing too hard.

I took pics along the way and will post them in the DIY section.
It is very nice to not have the crack as it was always in view while driving reminding me to fix it!

NSX_Dash069.jpg

I replaced the carpet and any other worn parts while the dash was apart.

NSX_Dash073.jpg

NSX_Dash074.jpg

In addition, I test fit my 10" JL.

NSX_Dash027.jpg

I also did my Spring cleaning and cleaned every part as it was put back together.

Feels like a new car, now I am off to detail the outside!

Looks great!!! Love that new carpet. I need the exact same thing.

How much was the new carpet and where did you get it?

And who made your sub enclosure? How does it sound?

I bought the carpet from ERZ (in NY). The carpet is out of a 99. It needed some cleaning, but was in much better shape than my set. I paid $450 for all 4 peices. In addition, the dash part was $125.

Ken, I promise this was an easy job. I thought getting to the dash would be much more difficult. Once the center parts, glove box, and cluster sections are removed, there are only 7 bolts holding the dash in. I found ways to save time by not totally removing the dash. I just got it out far enough to get to the screws holding in the vents.

I am guessing that cars with the PS airbag are much tougher to remove.

If I lived closer to Chicago I would do it for you in exchange for all the great advise!

Bryan

The sub was built by a good friend of mine, Jake. He and I used to install audio systems when in college.

The sub sounds great! It takes a lot of power to push it as it is in a undersized box. An 8" may have sounded a little tighter in the car, but the 10" gives a little bit deeper bass. I am waiting for D' Eccosse to get back to but some of his pre-fab plates to do the doors. I will post the pics of the install.

B

What did you pay for the dash vent piece? Did you encounter any problems transferring the VIN ID# from the old piece to the new? Also curious on what you would estimate the cost to be if the dealer made the repair on the dash vent alone?

I paid $125 for the part. The VIn transfer was easy. You can remove it without removing the rivets, and put it in the new one with the stock rivets in place. I put a little dab of superglue under it just to be sure the corners don not pull up. I am not sure what the dealers charge for this service. I had the part removed from the car in about 1.5 hours. Putting it back together was slow as I deep cleaned the interior with the interior out, fixed anything I could find wrong, deep cleaned every part as it went back together, and spent time pondering placement of aftermarket audio parts for future installation.

I had the entire thing back together and ready for Saturday coffee with the wife.

: )

svalleynsx said:
What did you pay for the dash vent piece?
It appears that the part that cracks is the Front Defroster Garnish, number 19 on the diagram on the Sunnyside Acura website, part number 77446-SL0-A01ZC. (This diagram is for a '91; I'm not sure if it's the same part on later models.) It shows list price for the part as $263.00 and they sell it for $210.40. NSXCA members may be able to do even better from dealers that give a club member discount, such as Niello or Goodson.

Since the cracking presumably happens as the result of time and exposure to the elements, you might want to consider getting a new part rather than a used one.

funny, that picture looks EXACTLY like my car right now, I'm doing the same thing: sub, lights for the console box (2 little white LEDs pointing down), new shift knob, repair custom center console, new rear view with compass/temp, flashing alarm LED on front of mirror, heated seats with fresh NW leather, amp in the trunk and routed cables through engine, passenger footwell light, and heater elements for the external mirrors through the defroster circuit...

Whew.

Don

DonDavis said:
and heater elements for the external mirrors through the defroster circuit...
can you give us any details about this?.i think this was a bad omission by Honda when the car was made.we get some pretty cold mornings here in the UK when heated mirrors would be great

Yep! They're really cool, I think they were from burco.com, reasonably priced... you just stick them on the back of the mirror (haven't done it yet, need to see how the motor/actuator is going to fit) and hook them up...

email me at [email protected] and I'll look the information up for you, ok?

Don

P.S. I agree, the car should have had them stock.

Since the cracking presumably happens as the result of time and exposure to the elements, you might want to consider getting a new part rather than a used one.

Very true. I was lucky enough to get one out of a 99. This is a job not worth doing 2x for $100.

The electric mirror switch that moves the mirrors is the same basic shape for the Honda models with heated mirrors.

So you could make it look like the NSX had heated mirrors from the factory if you change the switch to another model's.

Jaytip and nsxparts:

I got the mirror from Bob Prim at [email protected]

He does a lot of business on Ebay and is a very nice, very knowledgeable guy... Price was $130, about half a new one. Shoot him a note, tell him I sent you and what you want, and he'll work with you. He even added some 12vdc wiring for me to hook up a couple of LEDs and changed the filter on the temp/compass display to red to match the lighting.

j14nsx:

I'm just going to run the mirror heaters through the rear hatch defroster circuit, and not even mess with an extra switch... The mirror heating elements came from Burco.com. Contact Elizabeth [email protected]. She was very helpful and glad to work with me. I'm NOT sure they'll be willing to do another small sale like I talked them into, but you can sure ask.

Don

de nada! Good luck and shoot me a note if you have any questions!

Don

Just attached the mirror heating elements last night, is anything EVER easy and straightfoward with these cars? What a pain!

Back