How hard is the steering with the non-p/s models?

I have always wanted an NSX, and recently found out that the earlier (more affordable) models are not equiped with power steering. I have never driven a car without power steering and assume that the NSX steers from a standstill like my Maxima would with the key in the on position (not started), the wheel is very heavy and hard to turn. Is this a hassle when trying to paralell park? How about at low parking-lot speeds? Im sure while driving quickly the steering is no heavier than a BMW's , but im just worried about low speeds.

Thanks alot.
Dave

Dave, I don't know of any NSX owners that have problems at low speeds (parallel parking or parking lot speeds). At a dead stop, it can require some effort (depending on the surface), so I usually avoid turning unless the car's moving. It will be easier than your Maxima due to the steering ratio and weight bias towards the rear.

I have never had the expierence of driving a NSX with out P/S, however, I wouldn't compare it to your Maxima. Remember your Nissan had a heavy V6 up front, the NSX has a spare tire :) I would imagine the NSX drives like my 911 (also no P/S) which is not bad at all. All you really need is a slight roll and the steering becomes relatively light.

not as bad as my del sol with the power steering removed. the nsx has a very slow steering ratio which makes it *slightly* easier to turn the wheel at a dead stop. i have found that if you're moving at even .000001 mph it makes the steering much easier. i actually really enjoy the steering on the nsx (keep in mind i'm not talking about the slow ratio.) it is very responsive and provides very good feedback. when i get back into my IS300 (which has super duper power steering) i am always disappointed.
steering was the last of my worries when i bought my nsx.

It's not hard at all. At first, it was. And now, when I get into a "normal" car with power steering (i.e. i drove my g/f's escape yesterday) it felt soooooo lose and i hate it!!!!! :) I love the NSX w/o powersteering. People ask why it doesn't have power steering and i just tell them: it allows you to feel the car that much more

Brian2by2 said:
... People ask why it doesn't have power steering and i just tell them: it allows you to feel the car that much more

Or you could tell them there's no p/s because it's a cheap Honda. :D

I did not even notice that my car came with out power steering when I bought it. You cant realy tell until you are stoped and you turn the wheel. I had a F car that did not have it and it was like driving a truck. Its easy to paralell park even my wife can do it.:D

thanks

When I thought about the no power steering concept, it scared me away, I didnt even concider that my Maxima (or any other comparible FWD cars) would be alot harder to turn due to most of the weight being in front.

Thanks everyone for the responses, I hope I can find an NSX in the next year or so. :)

NSX without powersteering is so easy and nice that most people will not notice that it doesn't have it.

I was very conserned about this before I got mine, and I can tell you now that I don't regret getting a 91 because of this issue.
Like the above posts imply, there is no engine in front, and the tires (if stock) are small, making the car easy to steer.

If you plan to drift or powerslide the car a lot, it will not be controllable with i.e. your index finger, and could give you some trouble, but that scenario is not too common (thinking of Tiff Needells test drive, where he is drifting). Also, from what I've heard, the powersteering disengages after 30 or 40 mph anyways.

Maybe they put it on later models so people didn't have to be "embarrased" if asked the question:"There is no powersteering in your 80 000 dollar car??"
Those stupid bragging rights...

A car with power steering with the engine off is much harder to steer then a car with out power steering. On an NSX with power steering this may not hold true because the power steering is electric. The unassisted "X" will not allow you to palm the steering wheel in a parking lot but it is not going to take a huge effort and a little movement makes it acceptable. After driving an NSX for a while you may even come to appreciate the feed back you get from the steering that is absent in an assisted car.

Last edited:
well,

when you are moving, no p/s is ok. no problem. If anything, it will teach you to gas thru corners to avoid wrestling with steering wheel.

but, can you say downhill parallel parking?

-jjc.

Dr.Lane said:
Or you could tell them there's no p/s because it's a cheap Honda. :D
And I thought it was to save weight.

FAQ states for 1995, "Power Steering becomes standard for Manuals as well as Automatics." Does this mean power steering was an option on early manuals, or no?

JAKiii said:
FAQ states for 1995, "Power Steering becomes standard for Manuals as well as Automatics." Does this mean power steering was an option on early manuals, or no?

No.

1991-1994 Automatics came with p/s.
1991-1994 Manuals came without p/s.

No options.

No power steering?

And here I thought my 93 manual had power steering all this time-u guys just had to burst my bubble---where's that manual. This on top of having no dead pedal either---all this new technology for the comparably new NSX's;)

Oh and by the way, there is no easy way to convert to power steering based upon another thread I saw previously--I believe the wiring harness has to be changed out for one thing....

I'm only 5'4" and about 135lbs. I don't hve any trouble without the power steering. Basically, like eveyone said, once you start moving even a little bit you can one hand steer with no problem. I can even one hand steer in parking lots when I'm reversing out of a stall and you're in between shifing from reverse to 1st gear while trying to straighten out the car and just starting to move forward. I don't think I can palm it, but you can definately hold it and steer with one hand.

Hi,

I just wanted to throw in my opinion on this. I use my NSX as a daily driver, and to be honest, I would much rather have power steering. Power steering would really help in common slow speed situations, such as parking. It really does take considerably more effort to turn the NSX relative to an NSX with power steering (I'm not Hulk Hogan, but I'm no wimp either, mind you :D).

In fact, my brother test drove a '98 NSX, and he said that it feels a lot different than my '94 NSX, due to the power steering (in addition to the 6-speed tranny and other '97+ updates).

So, if you plan to use the NSX daily, go with the '95+ models, in my opinion. Besides, you get a Targa top, too!

Hope that helps. -Thomas

whs520 said:
Hi,

I just wanted to throw in my opinion on this. I use my NSX as a daily driver, and to be honest, I would much rather have power steering. Power steering would really help in common slow speed situations, such as parking. It really does take considerably more effort to turn the NSX relative to an NSX with power steering (I'm not Hulk Hogan, but I'm no wimp either, mind you :D).

In fact, my brother test drove a '98 NSX, and he said that it feels a lot different than my '94 NSX, due to the power steering (in addition to the 6-speed tranny and other '97+ updates).

So, if you plan to use the NSX daily, go with the '95+ models, in my opinion. Besides, you get a Targa top, too!

Hope that helps. -Thomas
I second Thomas. I think the manual steering effort is excessive at low speed. It is something that I can live with but not something that I desire in such sophisticated car. I am not someone that is new to sport cars. I had 3 Porsche Carreras before I jumped ship to NSX. My first NSX was a 1992 coupe and I immediately noticed the heavy steering. Currently I drive both a 1994 and a 1997 alternatively as daily drivers. The difference is day and night in low speed of course, but they are similar at higher speed. I inquired about converting the 1994 to power steering just last week but found out that it was almost impossible. The NSX's power steering is a wonderful piece of engineering. And yes, the manual steering is heavy but it is not impossible. After a long day of work, sometime I find myself straining my arms backing the coupe into the garage.
Steve

whs520 said:

It really does take considerably more effort to turn the NSX relative to an NSX with power steering (I'm not Hulk Hogan, but I'm no wimp either, mind you :D).

If you think any NSX is relatively hard to steer then you ought to try my 78 Jag with power steering--that's if you can keep fluid in the rack long enough--:rolleyes:

I have a 98-T with PS. I've driven several non-PS coupes and while it's not as easy to turn the wheel like a PS NSX... it's not that hard! Just turn the wheel while the car is moving ever so slightly... it's cake!

Back