How do you negotiate salary?

MsKadyB said:
Any suggestions on how to ask if they will pay for grad school? Calvin gave me a few tips, but I'm curious to see how some of you may have gotten your schooling paid for.

Sheesh . . . I guess my first thought as I read this question is that I hope you have spent plenty of time preparing and presenting what they (the company) are getting. If I were hiring you, I would be a little put off if all the conversation was centered around what I was willing to pay (be it salary or benefits such as grad school). I guess my advise to you is like others above, but you better be quite endeared to the hiring manager (and levels above him/her) . . . no wait, they better be salavating . . . as I am imagining you across the table from a seasoned hiring manager while you are asking for a higher than average salary and additional benefits.

Don't mean to be negative here, but negotiation is a two way street. I realize you are looking for opinions and mine is you better be an under commit over deliver kinda guy, cause even if you are successful with this first negotiation, have you ever heard of buyer's remorse? JMO Kevin

With the help of one (or two, maybe three...) of these...

shotguns.JPG

:o:o:o

khiroshima said:
Sheesh . . . I guess my first thought as I read this question is that I hope you have spent plenty of time preparing and presenting what they (the company) are getting. If I were hiring you, I would be a little put off if all the conversation was centered around what I was willing to pay (be it salary or benefits such as grad school). I guess my advise to you is like others above, but you better be quite endeared to the hiring manager (and levels above him/her) . . . no wait, they better be salavating . . . as I am imagining you across the table from a seasoned hiring manager while you are asking for a higher than average salary and additional benefits.

Don't mean to be negative here, but negotiation is a two way street. I realize you are looking for opinions and mine is you better be an under commit over deliver kinda guy, cause even if you are successful with this first negotiation, have you ever heard of buyer's remorse? JMO Kevin

I am just curious as to how some of you have approached some of these things. Like I mentioned in my first post, I am new to the field and am unsure of what to look or ask for during an interview. It is all a learning process for me, as for most new graduates. I know that pay isn't always the largest issue, but rather the experience you get from the establishment which you choose to work. I just want to ensure that the steps I take now will be beneficial to my future endeavors. :)

MsKadyB said:
I am just curious as to how some of you have approached some of these things. Like I mentioned in my first post, I am new to the field and am unsure of what to look or ask for during an interview. It is all a learning process for me, as for most new graduates. I know that pay isn't always the largest issue, but rather the experience you get from the establishment which you choose to work. I just want to ensure that the steps I take now will be beneficial to my future endeavors. :)

My original advice is sound for someone with more experience. My advice was basically to deliver more value then the original offer. That value can be real (you are doing more) or perceived (you are a perfect cultural fit and they wont find anyone as good as you for a long time). Since then I know a little more about your situation and I agree with many on the board - you are not going to have much luck asking for more money unless you are greatly overqualified for the job.

So my advice for someone just starting out and where the job is their best offer/opportunity? Take it - but - have it put in the offer that you will have a salary review in X months (try to get it during a non-standard review if you can). At least then you have laid the groundwork that you are going to exceed their expectations and they are going to want to compensate you accordingly.

Then kick butt for them putting your boss and your career in front of almost everything else. Build relationships within your business circles and look for innovative ways to save them, or make them money.

And above all communicate. Never assume your boss(s) know what you are doing. Prepare a one page, consistent, organized email every single week telling them

1) what you accomplished last week
2) what you are doing next week
3) any issues you have

Keep it short and sweet.

Oh - and really become an expert at what you do. Go to local professional meetings, read about your job instead of hobby stuff, really concentrate on building your network, knowledge, and your career.

As a boss this type of person is an A+ in my book and I will pay them well above market to keep them happy. Business people build their business around these types and they are indispensable.

I have hired numerous people and when they come in with some knowledge of my company and ask inteligent questions I always appreciate it.

I agree you need to get your foot in the door first and not be too worried about a starting salary, remember you can always get a raise once you have proved your worth. If after a while you don't feel you are getting what you deserve you can also start looking for other oportunities while you still have the original job.

I feel I am someone that can read through a lot of the bullsh*t that some people try to get by with when they are interviewing. I would much rather have someone who is honest and not feed me a bunch of crap.

Be yourself, if you get the job you don't want to keep up a lie.

If you are the type that goes above and beyond the normal employee you will get recognized and be compensated for it in the long run. You are only going to get so much initially without a track record, get in the door and WOW them.

Good Luck!

I actually got a job that I was looking for. It's quite different from what most of you from the board do, hehe. In about a week or so I'll begin my career as a pre-school teacher at a private school . :) The only drawback is the pay, but again, it's not so bad because I realize that I am just starting out. The job itself is wonderful and will be a great experience. The best part is that it is located 5 minutes away from my home, which means I can continue living in the same area after graduation. They pay based on merit, which in this case is my education level. The great thing is that they will pay for me to further my education, which in turn will increase my pay. Overall, I am satisfied with the opportunity I have been given. :cool:

matteni said:
So my advice for someone just starting out and where the job is their best offer/opportunity? Take it - but - have it put in the offer that you will have a salary review in X months (try to get it during a non-standard review if you can).

Great advice. Kevin

Oh and BTW, that sounds like a great job. It still astounds me that jobs of critical long term importance has such short term value.

Back