How do I tell a true Type-S?

Hi again,
well the Imola orange from a couple of days ago didn't go ahead, but someone is advertising a car here in the UK that 'appears' to be a Type-S NSX.

The question is - how can I tell if it's just been rebadged? What should I look for please?

I think the VIN says 'custom made by Honda' but I'm looking for the tell-tale signs that someone wouldn't necessarily change when rebadging a car - the interior looks promising (hope that's not a stain on the seat)

Any advice gratefully received..

(low res images attached)

Thanks
Joe

Attachments

• nsx1.jpg
    nsx1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 263
this is past auction prices in Japan for 1999-2001 NSXs.

http://www.pathhill.com/nsx/nsxprices2003.jpg

Here are 2 Type S / S Zero that was sold recently.

http://www.pathhill.com/nsx/nsxtypes1.jpg

http://www.pathhill.com/nsx/nsxtypes2.jpg

So, normal NSX 1999 ish model sells for around 5,500,000 Yen, and Type S 1997 model sold for 6,470,000 Yen. (In trade auction, thats where dealers buy their stock in Japan).

6470000 Yen is approx 35000 Pounds. (1997 model)
If you imported that car to UK from Japan, shipping is around 500 pounds, and there is 10% and VAT duty. So, thats over 45000 Pounds before SVA and registration. Even if they didnt pay the duty (somehow) it will cost atleast 37000 Pounds on the road.

So, 2000 model like this one in the ad is worth a lot more. Even the standard one selling for 5,500,000 Yen would cost over 30000 Pounds, so I think that one on sale is a bargain at 33995 Pounds. In fact you could send that back to Japan and make money.

My worry would be, where did they get it from so cheap? Has it been stolen in Japan? (If you find the chassis number, we can find out if its a clean car).

I appreciate all of the above points about price (looked into importing a Type-S a while back) and I've phone the dealer and am checking out the heritage.

Would obviously appreciate it if people don't phone them up and say 'you're selling that car far too cheaply - what's up with it?'!!!

Maybe they suspect that like most other cars, as an import it's worth less than a normal car and so have looked around and taken 10% off the price... Who knows ? But I'm not going to ask them!

Incidentally - how do you verify if a particular import is stolen?

Thanks very much
Joe

If the car is stolen, the owner in Japan must have reported it to the Japanese police. And it will be in their record.

Chassis number might have been fiddled with, but that would reveal the identity of the car.

If the car is stolen, and the UK police find out, they can take it away from the current owner.

One of the way you can import these cars without paying the duty is if the owner lived in Japan for more than a year and owned the car for atleast 6 months. So, it could well have belonged to a Japanese person who came here to live and brought over the car. Then decided to part exchange with other cars.

Having never seen a Type-S in person I am hardly an expert, but shouldn't it have a Momo steering wheel instead of the regular steering wheel?

I believe the Type-S also has manual instead of power steering, yes? That is certainly easy to check.

Agreed - the wheels are definately not standard but this wouldn't be a deal breaker (I can get Miled to send me his :)).

I think the Type-S started out stripped out but then had an options list as long as your arm in which you can put everything back in again...

Seen one advertised in Japan with Satnav/DVD etc and these are options on the honda.co.jp site in the NSX-builder, so maybe it's
still genuine.

I will let you know what the outcome of my research is - even if I don't buy it.

Cheers
Joe

Isn't the Type S zero the real stripped out one? The S is the same is the Zinardi, slightly stiffer springs, and the sporty seats etc.

But do you really want a JDM import? You were worried about the histiry of the car at Levant before, this one is from around the world?!!

Back