How do I get in??? What's the greatest job??

I am in the I.T field also. It has been good to me. I get to move around and converse with different people. The field has been tight for the past few years. I think it is getting better though.

Zuerst, the latest Medicare legislation is basically an effort to protect the status quo while at the same time attempting to provide some sort of prescription drug relief for seniors. Once again, the only logical long term solution is to limit the number of people enrolled in the program. Age 65 made sense back in the
days of LBJ when people only lived to age 68, dosn't make sense anymore when people live to age 82 plus.

"Are you a female high school dropout, between the ages of sixteen and twenty-five? Are you tired of lying around in bed all day with nothing to do? Well, you never need get up again, because in six short weeks I can train you to be high paying ho. Just think - fifteen hundred dollars a week, without even leaving the comfort of your own bedroom. Sound too good to be true? Just send for my new book, "I Wanna Be a Ho."

- Velvet Jones, an educator from the Velvet Jones School of Technology.:D

velvetjones.jpg

My uncle has the greatest job IMO. He works for AAA. He is "the man" who awards all restaurants and hotels their diamond rating for the western US. The biggest is Cali and Vegas areas. We are talking millions and millions of dollars difference in a hotels income being a 4 diamond vs a 5. So guess what, he gets lavished by these hotels and restaurants, not to bribe him, but to show off how good they are. It must be nice to eat cavier and drink Krystal during your "business" trips!!! Those of you in San Fran may have seen him on TV a few weeks back. But don't get me wrong he has a hotel/motel degree from UW Stout and managed many high end resorts before landing that job. He also made a good living right out of college managing The PGA national resort in PBG FL and the Don Cesar in St. Pete Beach FL.

I say service is where all the jobs are heading in the future, so pick a high end service job with good perks!

matteni said:
Our largest client is one of the largest Pharma companies in the world. Worked with and trained some of them to use different systems.

What you said is correct - it is a lot of driving around and meeting with doctors. What you might/might not know is doctors don't give a shiesta (on average) how good the product is. They care a lot more about your cup size, how far up your skirt is, and how much you generally "service" them. It has turned into a "skin" industry IMO and it is sad how few doctors care about which cathitor is the best, etc.

Also - any industry where sales are based predominately on looks and persausion are destined to have a very low barior to entry, high turnover, and many other associated problems (drug abuse, alcoholism, anger management). Think "used car sales" and you get IMO an acurate view of the pharma sales chanel.

YMMV - good luck. A good/great salesperson who can understand and articulate complex things (like IT) is a true asset and a rare bread. If not telecomunications then consider solution sales, manufacturing sales, or find a nich bringing different markets together (shared sales services for medium sized IT companies approaching the Goverment).

Just my 2 cents and worth about 2 cents so call us even!

:)

This is the second time I have heard about "servicing" the doctor, does this really happen that often?

If so I might have to go back for my MD! J.K.

With a lot of those doctors salaries, I would be a little worried about blackmail if they didn't buy the right drugs.

I own a computer / electronics / software company and we produce various products that drive large format printers. I love working for myself and couldn't imagine ever having another boss.

As an investment I purchased a couple of restaurant / bars and I can tell that the managing partners that work for me have a pretty great job. The bars don't open until noon so they get to sleep in, they hire gorgeous girls to waitress and bartend. These girls seem to love to flirt with the managers. Of course I don't always see the day to day stuff that goes on, but mostly it looks like a great job.

Very interesting post. As for the person posting the question to go pre-med or engineering, I have to say either job, as pretty much most jobs, have great potential. It's really what avenue you take within the field.

I own a Forensic Biomechanical Engineering Company, and have done so for the last 5 years; I'm 36. I know, how absolutely boring, but it really is a fancy name for the field that analyzes accidents (car crashes, slip & falls, plane crashes, people falling into sausage grinders, etc. etc.) I previously worked for someone else for 3.5 years before starting out on my own. I started out in the Engineering field, but alway knew that most engineering jobs would leed, for me at least, to a long slow death. But I stumbled into a very, very small branch of the Engineering field that pays $350.00/hr, AND is so unsaturated that I'm turning down work, as I only want to work so much (more time with my wife, children and of course the NSX). You use nothing more complex than high school algebra, but are required to think fast on our toes (going to court and testifying) I'm sure not unlike sales. It's really not difficult. I still wake up every morning thinking that I'm the luckiest guy I know to do what I do for a living.

My point is that what ever field you choose, find within that field:
1) Something that you really like, I mean really enjoy. You'll be doing it for 40 hours a week, for several years.
2) Try and make it an aspect of the field that is not saturated, but in demand.
3) Be the best at it. Even if it is sharpening pencils. Be the absolute best at it.

These are not novel ideas, but you'll be surprised at how many people don't incorporate them. They spend more time researching what kind of exhaust they want for their car. Take a few smart friends, caffeine, and a few free hours; you'll come up with several great ideas.

excellent response, i agree. One of the other things that few people do is to actually treat everyone they meet as a potential wealth of information. The average guy/girl you meet in a hotel bar/ on vacation, wherever can give you a lot of insight into what they do and what the positives and negatives are.

Ive NEVER had anyone act put off by my asking what they do for a living, and how they wound up in that profession/job. People like to tell their story, if you just show genuine interest. Be forewarned, sometimes you get TOO much info.:eek:

From a financial prosperity standpoint, certain areas of financial services are very lucrative(not just stockbrokering either).

good luck.

As a Computer Science Engineer (M.Sc) I have been tempted several times to start my own business in the TelCo / IT consulting field. And I somehow envy the ones that found the courage of doing it!

But after all, I know myself and I know that I am the kind of guy that prefers to work for somebody. Of course I will never be really rich by doing this but I get to work my 8 hours per day/ 5 days per week and get a good salary in return.

I think I would never like any job enough to focus my life on it and to put a lot of my time in it to make it successful (now, if some week I work 50 hours? No problem, I get the 10 hours back the following one! :) ). Afterall it is not my company and they get from me what they pay for... what i get in return is more free time and no worries once I am over or during the weekend.

This only to point out that not to everybody is willing to "take over" his private life ang get more stress in the end in order to get more money and not having a boss. :)

As always in life it is all a matter of priorities.

gheba_nsx said:
As a Computer Science Engineer (M.Sc) I have been tempted several times to start my own business in the TelCo / IT consulting field. And I somehow envy the ones that found the courage of doing it!

But after all, I know myself and I know that I am the kind of guy that prefers to work for somebody. Of course I will never be really rich by doing this but I get to work my 8 hours per day/ 5 days per week and get a good salary in return.

I think I would never like any job enough to focus my life on it and to put a lot of my time in it to make it successful (now, if some week I work 50 hours? No problem, I get the 10 hours back the following one! :) ). Afterall it is not my company and they get from me what they pay for... what i get in return is more free time and no worries once I am over or during the weekend.

This only to point out that not to everybody is willing to "take over" his private life ang get more stress in the end in order to get more money and not having a boss. :)

As always in life it is all a matter of priorities.

Great insight being able to know yourself that well. I have always known two things for sure in my life, I want to live in the town that I have lived in all my life and that I did not want to work a full time job. I too have no real interest in any job enough to dedicate my life to the job. I figured if I had to work let me do it twice as hard for twice the pay and I will get it over in half the time. After high school I started a business dedicated 12-18 hours a day to the business, everyday including Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. I did that for 17 years. Rarely took a day off other than truly being sick. Now I am 38 and done working, have been for 3 years. I have always looked at a full time regular 40 hour a week job as just dragging things out. With a regular job it makes no difference how hard you work the same pay waits for you at the end of the week. Self employment allows someone to condense those 40 hour work weeks together and get the working part of life over with, as long as the person is a good saver.

steeveny, what you did deserve respect and now it pays off. Congratulations!

But again, I would have never wanted to spend my 18-35 lifespan working 12-18 hours a day including the weekend. That is why I choosed the way of "less money/more time: now".

Because in perspective, at 35, you are now free of doing what you want.

But what happened to you is not likely to happen to everyone going for it and the risk of reaching 35, having worked and working 80 hours per week, and with no perspective of putting an end to it, just does not makes it for me.

As said, my "problem" (I do not consider it to be a problem ;) ) is that working is for me just a mean to get the money to do the things I like and get the feredom of doing it...

emvanderpol said:
Very interesting post. As for the person posting the question to go pre-med or engineering, I have to say either job, as pretty much most jobs, have great potential. It's really what avenue you take within the field.

I own a Forensic Biomechanical Engineering Company, and have done so for the last 5 years; I'm 36. I know, how absolutely boring, but it really is a fancy name for the field that analyzes accidents (car crashes, slip & falls, plane crashes, people falling into sausage grinders, etc. etc.) I previously worked for someone else for 3.5 years before starting out on my own. I started out in the Engineering field, but alway knew that most engineering jobs would leed, for me at least, to a long slow death. But I stumbled into a very, very small branch of the Engineering field that pays $350.00/hr, AND is so unsaturated that I'm turning down work, as I only want to work so much (more time with my wife, children and of course the NSX). You use nothing more complex than high school algebra, but are required to think fast on our toes (going to court and testifying) I'm sure not unlike sales. It's really not difficult. I still wake up every morning thinking that I'm the luckiest guy I know to do what I do for a living.

My point is that what ever field you choose, find within that field:
1) Something that you really like, I mean really enjoy. You'll be doing it for 40 hours a week, for several years.
2) Try and make it an aspect of the field that is not saturated, but in demand.
3) Be the best at it. Even if it is sharpening pencils. Be the absolute best at it.

These are not novel ideas, but you'll be surprised at how many people don't incorporate them. They spend more time researching what kind of exhaust they want for their car. Take a few smart friends, caffeine, and a few free hours; you'll come up with several great ideas.

That doesn't really sound that bad, it actually sounds interesting; I'll have to look more into that sort of thing. But for the moment, I think I'll probably just stick with doing both electrical engineering and pre-med. I guess I can call it expanded biomedical engineering.

Back