How can you tell if you have short gears?

I believe the NSX I just bought has short gears... is there any way to tell for sure without digging into the transmission?

I remember my last NSX had the normal gears in it then I upgraded it to the short gears... I remember 2nd gear being pretty long.... but now the end of 2nd gear is around 70mph or so...

any ideas?

Also, when shifting, it seems a little clunky going into the gears... I hope the synchros are not going out on me already.

Here's some info on the car:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=799361

Your input is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Here's a pretty good chart:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12779&d=1104429973

Looks like the short gears with the 4.23 final drive tops out at 70 in 2nd.

Hmm What is the "6000" column about?:

attachment.php

Speed at 6000rpm vs redline in the first column.

gotcha...

Is there anything I can do to improve the shifting action of the gear box? Right now it seems clunky and hard to shift... I dont know if its the custom shift knob or if its the transmission. I hope its not a transmission problem. The car only has 68k miles on it....... why would it be having a problem so early?

gotcha...

Is there anything I can do to improve the shifting action of the gear box? Right now it seems clunky and hard to shift... I dont know if its the custom shift knob or if its the transmission. I hope its not a transmission problem. The car only has 68k miles on it....... why would it be having a problem so early?
I don't really have the technical knowledge to comment on that. Could be the clutch, could be the fluid, could be lots of things. As far as knobs go, if all you've used before is a stock knob you'll definitely notice an increase in effort with something as short as that Momo knob. But I know Momo knobs have rubber adapters and they generally reduce the amount of vibrations you feel compared to a similar knob with no rubber. The easiest troubleshooting would probably be to borrow someone's stock knob and see what happens.

I don't really have the technical knowledge to comment on that. Could be the clutch, could be the fluid, could be lots of things. As far as knobs go, if all you've used before is a stock knob you'll definitely notice an increase in effort with something as short as that Momo knob. But I know Momo knobs have rubber adapters and they generally reduce the amount of vibrations you feel compared to a similar knob with no rubber. The easiest troubleshooting would probably be to borrow someone's stock knob and see what happens.

Thanks for the input... is it just a shift knob or is it a short shifter kit that I have? Its hard to tell...

The toughest part is going from 4th to 5th... you actually have to make the UP - RIGHT then UP movement..... very hard to do the diagonal up-shift without being very deliberate.

I might switch it back to either stock or something else...

That's too tall to be shortened stalk. You may have a short-shift adapter, thhough. See if you can feel it through the boot.

And if you switch knobs remember that knob doesn't twist off. You need to remove the trim ring at the bottom and unscrew three allen screws to get the knob off.

That's too tall to be shortened stalk. You may have a short-shift adapter, thhough. See if you can feel it through the boot.

And if you switch knobs remember that knob doesn't twist off. You need to remove the trim ring at the bottom and unscrew three allen screws to get the knob off.

You cannot feel the Dave's short shifter through the boot. And to disassemble the shifter you must take off the ceter console cover. If you have a short shifter it probably is not harming your 4-5 shift if the others are unaffected.

What year is your car? Is it in snap ring range? Are the synchros worn? Is the oil in good condition?

Back