Hot Car Anxiety...

I bought my 2nd NSX approximately 3 months ago. Mine is a 96 blk/blk with 39,200 miles which I got a great deal on. I wanted a 97+ for many of the reasons stated above but the deal I received was to good to turn down. The car is fast enough for me and is VERY rare in central VA. With the addition of a AIS, header and new exhaust soon, my car will have more power than I will ever need or use. I also love the targa top.
My first 91 blk/blk NSX was totaled by a drunk idiot that ran into it in a parking lot. Eventhough I considered buying a different type of sports car, the only real choice for me was to replace my NSX.
Before I bought mine, I saw only one other NSX in my 12 years in the area. The few residents who know what it is are totally impressed with the car. If you don't like a lot of attention, do not buy the NSX.
There will always be another C6 corvette or M3 BMW passing you fast in the other direction. With the NSX you will be in a class by yourself.
Good Luck with your purchase.
G

My advice is for you to test drive an NSX before you make your decision. If I didn't own an NSX, then i would recommend the NSX just because attention-whore and less common on the street.

If all you care is power, then get the M3 or C6.

Also, for the price of 40K - 45K, then you can find a decent NSX in the year of 1998-2000. I have seen it for those price and years. And you get more HP and 6 speeds.

Take the 44k and wait for a modified NSX to come available.IE: Supercharger,6speed, type r gears etc.....then you will have the best of all worlds,and it will be a reliable Honda to boot!!!!:biggrin:

WingZ said:
This is by no means my first stick ( or by far my most powerful car ),but I have the hardest time getting the thing to go smoothly w/o leaping off the line at every light. Sometimes people think I'm racing or being a jerk , but honestly I'm just trying not to lurch or stall. I've had my car for over a year and still am not much better. maybe I better go back to S2000's.... LoL
My bet is that you must have a race clutch. Some aftermarket clutches have that on/off feeling, with tiny engagement point.

Honestly it doesn't get any easier launching NSX compare to other cars. The oem clutch is by far the easiest thing I have ever driven. The MR lay out and weight transfer allow you to launch hard without wheel spin, if you do it correctly. It even outlaunched some AWD cars in various road test videos.

Vancehu and UP2You can both launch the NSX like the driver in the top gear video, all go, no wheel spin, no drama.

Hold on a second.
Did you disconnect the front drive shaft or something.
Aren't EVERY Subaru intended for the North American market AWD? I've never heard of just a RWD.:confused: :confused:

khappucino said:
95-96 slower given the fact it has same engine output but weighs 150 lbs more give or take than a 91-94, the 97+ more than compensates for the weight differential by adding 20 more hp/tq. also i believe the above stated snippet is giving the 10% increase based on the same vehicle but with the different differential types, its kind of silly to do a straight comparo when you are varying more than one input at a tim

What part of that direct quote is silly? It was a purposely made design change made by Honda not a tuner or after market company.
I have both 1991 and a 1996 Acura NSX brochures and the weight difference in 1996 is 32 lbs more for the coupe and 132lbs more for a NSX-T than a 1991. The weight is not all reinforcements but the addition of power steering on all models not just the automatic as was the case in previous years. The addition of throttle by wire and transmission improvements would seemingly make a performance impact to balance out the additional weight.
I have driven many NSX's,1991-1994 and the 1995-1996 and feel it is a commonly embraced misconception that the 1995-1996 vintage were slower.
I find it unlikely that the average owner or driver could feel a appreciable difference, in fact the throttle response of a fly by wire car might make it feel quicker.
I repeat, the T is a sexier car.:biggrin:

don't forget that a NSX resale value don't drop much compare to all the other cars you're looking about..

tokyo drift style.

disconect the drive shaft and go drifting :wink:

Go with the C6. All mybuddies are gocking at it. I dont personally like American plastic tinker toys but the new Z06 does look very yummy with the knock off Ferrari head lights.

Go and test ride them all before making a purchase.

I would strike out the M3. Its too common and yippy.

RON98 said:
tokyo drift style.

disconect the drive shaft and go drifting :wink:

Go with the C6. All mybuddies are gocking at it. I dont personally like American plastic tinker toys but the new Z06 does look very yummy with the knock off Ferrari head lights.

Go and test ride them all before making a purchase.

I would strike out the M3. Its too common and yippy.

The Z06 is an attractive car - I thought so until I got my hands on one. The interior was still underwhelming and the body panels didn't line up - on a show vehicle nonetheless. It's really a shame that car has to be made by Chevrolet, some people won't care about build quality or body panels staying glued - but I like a complete package. Some people only need an engine and a seat... and the Z06 wins there for sure.

M3 is pretty a very nice car. I'm used to Hyundai's and such (the family vehicles :() so an M3 wouldn't be a bad upgrade :). They are common, if you take into account the fact that most people won't know the difference between it and a regular 3 series. I'd still take a M3 though.

Like I said earlier - if you want an NSX, you can get one. 97+ too. They're not for everyone though... some people despise the car. Unfortunate but true. Go test one out! These happy owners could care less though :)

Thanks for all the input guys. The NSX is actually what I have my heart set on. I myself am an attention whore, that's why I want an NSX so bad. I used to think they were so rare, however lately I have been seeing allot of them on the roads these days. But still not as often as I see the M3's and C6's.

As per depreciation I agree that the NSX has held it's value very well through the years in comparison to the M3 and C6, but I thought they were redesigning the NSX for 2008-2009. And if so would the value of the older model NSX's drop considerably?

If I were to pick up an NSX it looks like it would be +97T, that seems to be more of my style, sexy w/ more power and shorter gears. As for mods I think I would prefer it to have minimal mods such as a bodykit, rims, intake and exhaust. Beyond that I would prefer to have all other items new.

92NSX said:
Hold on a second.
Did you disconnect the front drive shaft or something.
Aren't EVERY Subaru intended for the North American market AWD? I've never heard of just a RWD.:confused: :confused:

Actually the WRX is not all the time AWD, its more of FWD w/ assisted RWD when needed... In stock form the Transfer case has a center differential, that when detecting slip to the front tires it locks the differential which then engages power to the rear wheels...

My car can go back and forth between AWD and RWD, it's just a matter of swapping out the differential... In RWD form the Diffrential no longer has the clutch plates or the gear that attaches to the FWD splines of the trasnmission shaft... The gear that connects to the RWD portion is welded to the differential which puts it in a locked state for a complete RWD setup... There is no need to disconnect the front drive shafts since with this configuration no power is sent to the front wheels anyway...

ReX_N_Rolla said:
If I were to pick up an NSX it looks like it would be +97T, that seems to be more of my style, sexy w/ more power and shorter gears. As for mods I think I would prefer it to have minimal mods such as a bodykit, rims, intake and exhaust. Beyond that I would prefer to have all other items new.

With your criteria, you may find it difficult to purchase a car for under $50k. Also, the NSX may be reliable, but it needs fixing too, and cheap is not a word that comes to mind for OEM parts.

But with that said, I'd take the NSXCA over some Corvette club any day (though I know many a personable Corvette owner). Sometimes we even get to talk about something other than cars!:biggrin: The events with local owners are the ONLY time I ever see another NSX-- ever. I usually see 2-5 corvettes just driving 6 miles to work every day.

How about a BMW Alpina (or Alpino?). I saw one today, looking like a cross between a Z4 and an old Jag E type. Pretty cool, and it looked damned fast too.

Back