Hood Pins Needed? Carbon Fiber Hood

Has anyone had their Carbon Fiber hood fly open on them? When I drive over 100mph it looks like the hood is lifting right next to the crown of the fenders. There is a discernible gap between the fender and the hood which gets higher with speed. That gap isn't there when the car is stationary. I'm tempted to install hood pins for safety, but don't really like the idea of drilling holes in my hood. I know there is a safety latch on the hood latch but .......... My previous NSX with a stock aluminum hood never did that even @ 161 mph. :frown:

I saw a Supra speeding down the 5 Freeway cutting people off left and right--and then his CF hood flew up against his windshield and stuck there.

I LOL'd.

He limped it over to the side of the freeway with his head out the window. hahah.

I have no problems with the my hood vibrating over a 100 MPH, I do used the rubber seals by the headlight housing and the hood. I also have the front OEM undertray and a radiator duct, I am not sure if that makes a differences.

I have no problems with the my hood vibrating over a 100 MPH, I do used the rubber seals by the headlight housing and the hood. I also have the front OEM undertray and a radiator duct, I am not sure if that makes a differences.

Are you saying your hood has zero vibration? Guys what I am talking about is a tiny tiny flutter hard to see with the eye unless you have a point of reference (mine was the wiper blade). I'm not talking about a hood that is shaking. But I am wondering how important the underbody tray and tub are here. I will gasket where the hood meets the lights and see if that helps. Still, a pin/lock seems like a good idea.

I've asked this question on every thread I've seen on Prime about hood pins on composite hoods and I'm going to ask again because nobody has ever given a good, direct answer: the OEM NSX-R hood does not have hood pins and I'd consider that a safe hood. What's the difference between that hood and aftermarket? Autoclave? At least one vendor *claims* autoclave process for their hoods. Or would proponents of hood pins also add them to an NSX-R? Is the NSX-R OEM hood also not safe?

J

VIS hoods use the OEM hood latch.

the OEM hood on my NSX also vibrates....at high speeds, but vibrates and i notice it relative to wiper blades and to driver side fender (it lifts a bit).

if the hood is properly done, they will never ever fail....

My CF hood shakes without a doubt even at freeway speed. Purchased the Aerocatch Hood Pin Latch System months ago and should get off my lazy butt to install them. (Anyone here installed a set on their NSX?)

I agree it's cheap insurance, and everyone should have one but that's like trying to get everyone to eat right, exercise , and floss their teeth daily.

^^^ holy crap... I'll stick with stock hood, thank you very much...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s5vtz6sxhTA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s5vtz6sxhTA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

OUCH! That would be very unexpected!

when i see those 2 videos, i think of 2 things:

- low cost hoods (questionable manufacturing process)
- messed up hood latch.

some friends of mine, on their track cars, remove the latch and tight the hood only with pins... 4 of them (1 per corner of the hood)... reducing weight and keep it safe.

on the other hand, there are some guys that do about anything to reduce cost and weight...when you cheap things up...you'll get into trouble...

Back