Honda versus Nissan: Mizuno talks of his philosophy

:D

YnVNz.jpg

There is no question for me, if the GTR looked better (a lot better) I would probably be driving one right now, 3800lbs or not. It's a shame because I am a big fan of previous generation Skylines. They missed the overall consistency of design with this last generation. I was so looking forward to having it finally arrive on US shores too...

TURBO2GO, I completely agree with your comments regarding looks. Like others I was enamoured by the looks of the NSX. I have other cars in my stable that are faster, more powerful, more modern, but none capture my attention like the NSX. I also agree with you that Honda is lost. I wish they would just snap out of their arrogant funk. I say arrogant for they must read/hear the comments about their line-up (esp the current Acuras) and rather than make an about face and change their line-up, they persist with the continued arrogance of pushing what is a failed design concept.

As you pointed out, they have released some sample NSX replacements at prior car shows and none have received the jaw-dropping reception that the original NSX received. Honestly, if Honda simply copied the Italia 458 styling and it only had an Accord drivetrain behind the driver, I'd buy it. But alas they won't. Honda will soon release a concept car that has some lame hybrid technology that few will want wrapped in a disappointing design and deep-fried in marginal performance.

Personally, I think the only thing Honda will listen to is sucking sound of them losing market share.

And what's up with the LFA? It's not ugly, but it doesn't send my heart racing either. For 400K and all that engineering, it should have been better. They revised that nose a lot to make it more aggressive looking (opposite of what Nissan did with the GT-R), but its still kind of weird looking from some angles and it has that long hood thanks to a front engine.

An engine in the back gives designers a lot more room for creativity. That should be a no-brainer for a team leader to say "this halo sports car will be mid-engine".

All your other points are valid Dave but I disagree here as the LFA is the NSX it has all the technical elegance of the original NSX. Not the fastest and not the most powerful much like the original NSX. Revs forever and beats it's Ferrari competition ( 599 ). Just a fabulous car. People b*tch about the price but it's technically superior and outperforms the Carrera GT which was what $500k. Just Asian prejudice on the price.

TURBO2GO, I completely agree with your comments regarding looks. Like others I was enamoured by the looks of the NSX. I have other cars in my stable that are faster, more powerful, more modern, but none capture my attention like the NSX. I also agree with you that Honda is lost. I wish they would just snap out of their arrogant funk. I say arrogant for they must read/hear the comments about their line-up (esp the current Acuras) and rather than make an about face and change their line-up, they persist with the continued arrogance of pushing what is a failed design concept.

As you pointed out, they have released some sample NSX replacements at prior car shows and none have received the jaw-dropping reception that the original NSX received. Honestly, if Honda simply copied the Italia 458 styling and it only had an Accord drivetrain behind the driver, I'd buy it. But alas they won't. Honda will soon release a concept car that has some lame hybrid technology that few will want wrapped in a disappointing design and deep-fried in marginal performance.

Personally, I think the only thing Honda will listen to is sucking sound of them losing market share.

Well the reason for this is that nothing like the NSX had come out of Japan before but it wasn't known to be a beauty. It was what it delivered ( everyday usability ) that dropped jaws.

The HSC was a beautiful design but it's power is what kept jaws from dropping. The 458 took quite a bit of it's lines from the HSC. So that car was a true NSX as it was ahead of it's time but everyone complained about the power LOL

I disagree here as the LFA is the NSX it has all the technical elegance of the original NSX. Not the fastest and not the most powerful much like the original NSX. Revs forever and beats it's Ferrari competition ( 599 ). Just a fabulous car. People b*tch about the price but it's technically superior and outperforms the Carrera GT which was what $500k. Just Asian prejudice on the price.

No, it sounds like the car needs more development:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/...s_lfa_motor_trend_best_drivers_car_contender/

I have both kinds of cars, an eco car (2003 Honda Insight Hybrid) and a performance car (1992 Acura NSX) so I agree with the speaker that both kinds of cars are necessary in the worked.
The Nissan GTR is a very impressive car on its own. People who want it to be faster typically spend tens of thousands of dollars upgrading it. A stock GTR is faster than the latest model stock NSX. I am not a fan of the size or appearance of the car but at least I will give it the respect it deserves.

Last edited:
Have you seen used ZR1 prices?? Some are less than $80k

:eek:

LOL... Z06's must be in the 40's now. I can't even believe the pricing on F430's and 360's... Gallardos.. we don't know how good we have it. NSX owners forget. A good NSX bottomed out around 30K like 5 years ago. They still hover around the same. Even the GT-R is dropping some.

LOL... Z06's must be in the 40's now. I can't even believe the pricing on F430's and 360's... Gallardos.. we don't know how good we have it. NSX owners forget. A good NSX bottomed out around 30K like 5 years ago. They still hover around the same. Even the GT-R is dropping some.

I hadn't priced any of those. Are they under a hundred grand?

I hadn't priced any of those. Are they under a hundred grand?

360's range from $65,000 to $145,000 (Challenge Stradale) with no premium for convertibles over coupes and slight premium for three pedal cars. This is 20k miles or less.

F430's are running $120,000 to $300,000 (Scud 16M) with again no premium for convertibles and since there are so few three pedal versions it comes down to color and miles more than tranny.

Gallardos are running from $90,000 (2004 e-gear) to $150,000 for a nice 2008 or 2009 convertible or Superleggara with three pedals. I have even seen Murcies in the mid $100,000's

R8's are confusing. 2008 e-gears are all over the map from $90,000 to $120,000 depending on miles and options (mostly carbon and leather), but you can spec a 2012 R8 4.2 with mixed leather alcantara, carbon blade and full navigation as a six speed for ~$120,000 and it comes with a four year warranty. Very few used are under $100,000 with most in the $108,000-$115,00 range. Why not just buy new?

360's range from $65,000 to $145,000 (Challenge Stradale) with no premium for convertibles over coupes and slight premium for three pedal cars. This is 20k miles or less.

F430's are running $120,000 to $300,000 (Scud 16M) with again no premium for convertibles and since there are so few three pedal versions it comes down to color and miles more than tranny.

Gallardos are running from $90,000 (2004 e-gear) to $150,000 for a nice 2008 or 2009 convertible or Superleggara with three pedals. I have even seen Murcies in the mid $100,000's

R8's are confusing. 2008 e-gears are all over the map from $90,000 to $120,000 depending on miles and options (mostly carbon and leather), but you can spec a 2012 R8 4.2 with mixed leather alcantara, carbon blade and full navigation as a six speed for ~$120,000 and it comes with a four year warranty. Very few used are under $100,000 with most in the $108,000-$115,00 range. Why not just buy new?

Oh wow thanks!I also don't get R8 pricing. The V10 prices seemed to really drop once off the lot. I've seen upper $140's for V10 verts.

I'd love an R8 V10 vert ..in addition to the NSX. If you could only have one sportscar and needed more power I could see getting rid of the NSX but I honestly couldn't see trading the NSX for anything. It's just a great car to have.

I've been looking at prices on the v10 r8 for a while. A guy I met at the track just picked up his with under 10k miles for $130k. I was shocked. And it was fairly optioned too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been looking at prices on the v10 r8 for a while. A guy I met at the track just picked up his with under 10k miles for $130k. I was shocked. And it was fairly optioned too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow:eek:

Weird how the V8 won't drop that much ( i.e 09 ) but the V10 can drop $30-40k?? I mean there should be first year R8's in the $70k range but I've yet to see one.

Back