Honda Quality is incredible

I just got the major maintenance done on the X. 1991 nsx with 99,500 miles, all original parts.

New timing belt
New Water pump
New fluids
New thermostat
New brake rotors
New brake pads
New tires
Camber adjustment
Valve adjustment

My buddy owns the shop, he gave me the old timing belt, it looked brand new! The markings were faded but you could still read the japanese writing on the belt. The water pump was seeping slightly but otherwise spun like a champ and still shiny as day one. The thermostat was sticking alittle bit.

I'll get some pics of the belt when I get a chance, but man everyone is shocked at the condition of all the parts replaced. They even said the internals looked almost flawless, and they could tell the oil changes have been religious on the car.

:smile:

I'll never doubt the quality of honda engineering, ever.

wow thats good to hear. Its a Honda.

wow thats good to hear. Its a Honda.

I was worried because the previous owner neglected to tell me he was running nos on the car. I found out when I tore the trunk carpeting out and found the dozen or so holes drilled through the trunk pan for the bottle mount and hoses. I've put the last 30k miles on it, even ran it on the track a few times (1/4 mile track). I generally just cruise around in it, but i do drive it hard when i'm at the track, so i'm quite pleased at how well the motor is holding up

Last edited:
1/4 mile? result?

1/4 mile? result?

Well i'm horrible at timing the tree, so my box time was a 2.60 at best, but i managed a 13.6 at 105mph.

Well thats good, and at least you know you can do better:biggrin:

Have you been really surprised? :) The guys at Togichi have thrown in everything they had while handbuilding this car. Regarding rubber components I catch myself being astonished myself how long they last and how good the quality must be. :)

Last edited:
To bad quality is falling. Todays Honda's from Japan are still okay, the ones build in Swindon are POS, and not half. Even the guys working at Honda are complaining.

I hate it that Honda is stepping away from fast cars. Fastest Honda available here in Holland is a Civic Type-R.
I even wonder if there is going to be another Type-R ever.

The NSX is a masterpiece. Took my 17 year old, always parked outside blower fan out of the NSX last week, and found the inside looking like brand new. No corrosion, no dirt, no nothing. Great quality, but the ageing of plastics are showing.

my '04 w/ 102 K miles runs like a top, no leaks, good compression, etc. Just did the 100 K service and clutch, now getting lowering springs mounted. the interior is flawless and panel fitment excellent, no squeaks or rattles.
Paint isn't perfect but it lived outside in LA for the first 4.5 years of it's life. I owned a Lotus for 2 years between my 2 NSX's and the difference in fit and finish is huge. (But the kit-car ambience of Lotus is part of its charm)

no S2000?

One of the guys at the dealership said something about S2000 going out the window, leaving nothing then the CTR as a fast car. I remember reading somewhere the same thing, think they are getting the last ones out or something.

I owned a Lotus for 2 years between my 2 NSX's and the difference in fit and finish is huge. (But the kit-car ambience of Lotus is part of its charm)

omg.... i looked at a 2003 Esprit V8 last year( i love the esprits ). The thing looked like it was 25 years old.. Salesman said it was in pretty good condition :eek:

One of the guys at the dealership said something about S2000 going out the window, leaving nothing then the CTR as a fast car.

Yes, that true. It's the final year of production of the S2000. After that it's as you say: sad. :( Honda goes green and I remember someone saying at Le Mans 8/2008 that the relationship between the racers and Honda Japan has become difficult.

I believe there was a road race btw the CTR and s2k and the CTR came out on top..

I don't no what road race that was but that's barely believeable.

Last edited:
I believe there was a road race btw the CTR and s2k and the CTR came out on top..

My 'old' CTR (EP3) was at least equal to the S2000 of me bro in law.

I'm not sure where the FN2 (latest) is would end in a race. Not to confident it would win.

If it was a JDM CTR, yes....... (different from EU CTR)

Last edited:
I just got the major maintenance done on the X. 1991 nsx with 99,500 miles, all original parts.

New timing belt
New Water pump
New fluids
New thermostat
New brake rotors
New brake pads
New tires
Camber adjustment
Valve adjustment

My buddy owns the shop, he gave me the old timing belt, it looked brand new! The markings were faded but you could still read the japanese writing on the belt. The water pump was seeping slightly but otherwise spun like a champ and still shiny as day one. The thermostat was sticking alittle bit.

I'll get some pics of the belt when I get a chance, but man everyone is shocked at the condition of all the parts replaced. They even said the internals looked almost flawless, and they could tell the oil changes have been religious on the car.

:smile:

ditto

Yes, that true. It's the final year of production of the S2000. After that it's as you say: sad. :( Honda goes green and I remember someone saying at Le Mans 8/2008 that the relationship between the racers and Honda Japan has become difficult.

I don't no what road race that was but that's barely believeable.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=123912?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..2.*

There are about 20 videos on the inet of various CTR vs S2k. There is also the Mugen RR vs the s2kcr. I can pull up more vids if you'd like me to showing the CTR beating the s2k.

Last edited:
Ok, they compared it to a what i call a housewife-version of the S2000 (04+ or maybe 06+). I had one of the first S2000 in Europe for three years (1999, sold a week ago) and this was a blast to drive. It was equipped with the famous OEM S-02JJZ tire and the grip level was another world compared to most cars out there. And the best thing: it was stock, no tuning at all. No tuned 350Z or that like could keep up with it in turns, a Lotus Elise maybe could. As Series I of the S2000 was very sharp, there were a lot of crashes, so Honda 'detuned' the car drastically: no S-02 anymore (after 5 years!), softer differential, less direct steering, suspension revised in different aspects and last but not least they added VSA. WTF! 06+ ones are tussy- or housewife-cars in comparison to Series I. You can still have fun with the later ones but Series I is the best/sharpest and I still don't believe that any other actual Honda car can beat that one. The S-02JJZ contributed very, very much to the cornerability. I once had other tires (Yoko Advan Sport, not a bad tires but far away from the OEM JJZ) on the rear and the car was swimming like a 2CV or was cornering like a Yugo (exaggeration :)).

I don't give very much on videos found on the internet actually. The S2000 driver seems a little bit helpless with the car actually. Maybe they should have changed the drivers vice versa for a second lap. :)

Last edited:
Ok, they compared it to a what i call a housewife-version of the S2000 (04+ or maybe 06+). I had one of the first S2000 in Europe for three years (1999, sold a week ago) and this was a blast to drive. It was equipped with the famous OEM S-02JJZ tire and the grip level was another world compared to most cars out there. And the best thing: it was stock, no tuning at all. No tuned 350Z or that like could keep up with it in turns, a Lotus Elise maybe could. As Series I of the S2000 was very sharp, there were a lot of crashes, so Honda 'detuned' the car drastically: no S-02 anymore (after 5 years!), softer differential, less direct steering, suspension revised in different aspects and last but not least they added VSA. WTF! 06+ ones are tussy- or housewife-cars in comparison to Series I. You can still have fun with the later ones but Series I is the best/sharpest and I still don't believe that any other actual Honda car can beat that one. The S-02JJZ contributed very, very much to the cornerability. I once had other tires (Yoko Advan Sport, not a bad tires but far away from the OEM JJZ) on the rear and the car was swimming like a 2CV or was cornering like a Yugo (exaggeration :)).

I don't give very much on videos found on the internet actually. The S2000 driver seems a little bit helpless with the car actually. Maybe they should have changed the drivers vice versa for a second lap. :)

Well there is one video where the driver drove both. The CTR still came out on top after they did timed laps.. This isn't the only vid with the CTR coming out on top. They're great cars with the K series..

Well there is one video where the driver drove both. The CTR still came out on top after they did timed laps.. This isn't the only vid with the CTR coming out on top. They're great cars with the K series..

That's because it's easier for the casual enthusiast to get the most out of a FWD CTR than of a RWD S2000... The S2000 is a handfull to drive at it's limit, the CTR isn't... just my humble opinion

Nuno

Back