honda oem stereo specs?

Alright, so I'm considering going with an Acura or Honda OEM h/u, obviously non-BOSE, to replace my original unit. I have a couple questions to start with;

1. Is there any source of info for the OEM stereo power ratings? (i.e. the RMS per channel rather than the '200W CD stereo' you see on the window sticker)

2. What is the minimum power requirement to run a set of components in the door? I'd rather not run a separate amp, so would I be better off going with a 2-way coaxial type speaker instead?

Thanks for the help :smile:

Nate

1. I doubt there is a source for that kind of information. I usually just figure that manufacturers overstate each channel by twice what the RMS number is (they usually use MAX). So if a stereo says 200 watts, you divide that by 4 for all 4 channels. Then divide the number by 2 to convert from MAX to RMS. So in this case you would have 25 watts. Given that it would be very hard to package that up in a single DIN unit that has a tuner, cdplayer, etc, then you would probably interpret the results to be an exaggeration. So, you safest best is just to assume about 8-12 watts of power for every head unit out there. There are some head units out there that make more power like some of the older Alpines which had a separate heavy gauge power cable for the amplifier.

2. I usually don't like to run anything less than 25 watts RMS to component speakers. You can power a set of components off of the head units since most people only listen to about 5-12 watts most of the time. But when you crank it up, you will send it clipping signals more quickly since you have less power.

The idea you have can be done, but I would really question why you would want to use an OEM Honda/Acura stereo since you're going to be putting all that work into it. It's just not worth the work unless you go full on aftermarket.

The idea you have can be done, but I would really question why you would want to use an OEM Honda/Acura stereo since you're going to be putting all that work into it. It's just not worth the work unless you go full on aftermarket.[/QUOTE]

Malibu, thanks a lot for the advice, I was really hoping you or D'Ecosse would chime in with some opinions. To give you an idea of what I want to accomplish, I just to want to scrap the BOSE and go with something fairly basic that I can install myself and improve the sound a wee bit. I'm down to one door speaker on the BOSE and I'm not paying to have it fixed so... here I am.

My only real requirements are in-dash cd (in dash changer preferable), aux input to hook up my XM roady(front input preferable), and enough power to get decent sound out of a set coaxials or components. My first thought was to go with something like this http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KUpKvcydnpJ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=257KDAR560 .

However, I ran across an OEM 6 disc in-dash changer from a CRV for even cheaper so thats where that idea came from. I like that the look of the unit would match the rest of the interior and love the idea of the in-dash changer. My main concern was power. If theres no way to find the specs I may just have to buy and try. I would appreciate any suggestion you or others might have. Thanks a lot

Nate

said CRV changer;

Attachments

• CRV0005030_mid.jpg
    CRV0005030_mid.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 261
That would make for a cool little project but judging by the size of that unit it will be quite a bit of work on the dash. If it is 98 and below it should plug right in. If it is the 98 model, those use the newer metra 70-1721 style harnesses. Checked www.metraonline.com for more info.

The problem with trying to find specs for ANY car audio component is that there is no governing on how to measure or rate the specs. That's why you see these $50 1000 Watt amps. I remember reading Car Audio and Electronics magazine article where they showed how head units exaggerated a lot in their power claims. You can see how much the variations are on www.carsound.com in rated vs. actual power. So even if you did find that spec sheet for the head unit, I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it.

But given the size of that head unit and if it does indeed have its own power output, it should be sufficient to drive a set of coaxials.

No stereo besides the OEM stereo is going to be an easy install. One problem I forsee with that deck is that because of its size, you may not have any room to have sidewalls on the console trim. So your console trim may have to be in two pieces and that might not look good. You see how the tuning knob and other buttons get close to the sidewalls, that could be difficult. You might want to measure one before buying it and trying it.

Hmmm, thats a good point, I hadn't thought about the width of it being non-standard din size. But you're right, it looks like it sits sort of on top of the console rather than recessed into it. It's from an '05 so I gather theres some differences there with harnesses and whatnot. I dunno maybe I should go with an aftermarket unit. You saying it would be an 'interesting' project is setting off some warning lights for me. I was looking for something more simple than interesting :cool: Thanks for the advice

Nate

I must admit, overall, I like the idea. I like the way the color seems like it would be a perfect match with the dash lighting in the NSX. The size and fit is the big question mark.

I thought the idea was kinda wacky at first, but when I saw the unit, it suddenly seemed like a decent idea. Having the convenience of a 6-disc right in the dash was appealing -- especially if it plays MP3 discs. Does anybody know if it reads MP3 discs?

6 discs in the dash is kinda nice. But if you've had any experience with MP3, boy is it a lot more convenient. What's really nice is if you get one of the head units that can read mp3 on DVDs, you have room for 4.7 GB of music on a single disc. Between the MP3 DVD and my Phatnoise 20GB jukebox, I have all the music I own or want to listen to. Most of the time I just listen to the MP3s on DVD and all the stuff I want to listen to fits on there... I could never go back to the clutter of storing discs in the car.

I do believe that CRV deck is a standard double DIN in the back so the main chassis of the unit will fit. What manufacturers do sometimes is to make it fit nicely in the front, they extend the face plate to the sides a bit more to make it fit flush against the dash and the buttons get moved to the outer edges.

KingsCourt said:
I thought the idea was kinda wacky at first, but when I saw the unit, it suddenly seemed like a decent idea. Having the convenience of a 6-disc right in the dash was appealing -- especially if it plays MP3 discs. Does anybody know if it reads MP3 discs?

Haha, I'm glad I'm amusing you guys :wink: ! Seriously I would've had the same reaction, but like you, when I saw it I thought 'that would be pretty slick.' The main advantages would be a very stock look with 6 discs upfront. I don't know about mp3 capability, I couldn't find any info on Honda's website. I'm still debating whether to try it or just go aftermarket.

Nate

Attachments

• crv1.jpg
    crv1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 206
  • crv2.jpg
    crv2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 223
Back