Honda Legend evaporator and brake pedal

I have to problem coming up. First the evaporator on my NSX is leaking. Since an OEM NSX evaporator will take time to arrive to Brunei can I instead fit the Honda Legend one in since that one is already readily available locally. Second is I just notice that my brake pedal going down slowly when the car is stopped. When I apply the brake it will stay at a higher level and over a period of time it goes slightly down. If I release the pedal and step on it again it goes to the usual position than goes down and down again. Brake has been bled. Having a slight headache probably from counting what I will spend on fixing or maybe from smelling the leaked R12 gas.

When you do you AC job, try and stick with the R-12 freon if at all possible. It will cool better and does'nt cause the high head pressure 134a does which IMO is much easier on the compressor and orings.

Thanks david. I'll keep that in mind. Btw R12 is still legal in our country.:smile:
When you do you AC job, try and stick with the R-12 freon if at all possible. It will cool better and does'nt cause the high head pressure 134a does which IMO is much easier on the compressor and orings.

You need to rebuild or a new master cylinder (classic symptoms).

As for the evap it is not so easy.

Replacement is a 16-20 hour job that requires removal of most of the interior,a lot of stuff under the hood and a lot of opportunities to lose screws.

So you want to get it right the first time and I'm not impressed with the OEM part. It seems that the NSX evap has some extra severe bends that seem to cause the leaks in the first place.

I'm not sure the Legend will fit without fabrication, but if it does I see no problem.

I am certain the evap can be simplified with more direct lines from the connection to the core. In your dense country you probably have reasonable access to a fabrication shop that can take a new core, attach the old connectors and test for leaks. It might be less costly and be of higher quality too.

Last edited:
Thanks drew. For the rebuilt of the master cylinder what do I need to replace? I'm on my second evaporator which I believe is for Toyota Camry. My mechanic said to install a Legend one since it has more copper components in it but he has to check if the size will fit into the NSX and I am doing my checking in this forum.
You need a either rebuild or a new master cylinder (classic symptoms).

As for the evap it is not so easy.

Replacement is a 16-20 hour job that requires removal of most of the interior,a lot of stuff under the hood and a lot of opportunities to lose screws.

So you want to get it right the first time and I'm not impressed with the OEM part. It seems that the NSX evap has some extra severe bends that seem to cause the leaks in the first place.

I'm not sure the Legend will fit without fabrication, but if it does I see no problem.

I am certain the evap can be simplified with more direct lines from the connection to the core. In your dense country you probably have reasonable access to a fabrication shop that can take a new core, attach the old connectors and test for leaks. It might be less costly and be of higher quality too.

On the master cylinder you need to replace the soft parts inside of it. They should have a rebuild kit (not available in North America) in your part of the world.

Rebuilding the master cylinder is rarely done in the USA as labor rates do not make it a reasonable option (and to reduce liability exposure).

Toyota evaporator? Sure whatever works...there is no magic inside in this.

I'm not sure how your mechanic adapted the Toyota (or plans to with the Legend) evap, but I suspect there was a certain amount of monkey work with it.

You have can probably fabricate a new one for your NSX out of basic a/c parts.

Alternatively, you can probably have an aftermarket evap shipped from the US too.
http://www.autoairplus.com/Evaporator_p/12-6933n.htm

IMO, considering your Toyota evap failed I suspect it was installed incorrectly. Considering the intense labor with access to the evap, I would wait for an OEM NSX evap. This is also assuming the guys who installed the Toyota evap didn't "monkey" it up so much from stock.

Jeff

My evaporator lasted 14 years on the X, I replaced with original part. There is a brake master cylinder rebuilt kit but not sure where you can get the set. BTW, OEM evaporator is about HK$ 5k, labor is anything from $ 3k and up!!!
All Hk Xs run with OEM parts, Never heard of installing a Legend Unit. Afraid you may be paying 2x in parts/labor down the road.

Jin,

I have the same problem with my brakes (felt spongy). I changed the brake lines to the steel braided ones (from Dali) and it made the brakes feel better. You might also want to check your b lines first for signs of 'ballooning'.

I have SS braided lines installed. Braking is not a problem. It's just after the car stop the pedal will go down. Group buy on the master cylinder? Also going to order Kite rear diffuser while I'm at it.
Jin,

I have the same problem with my brakes (felt spongy). I changed the brake lines to the steel braided ones (from Dali) and it made the brakes feel better. You might also want to check your b lines first for signs of 'ballooning'.

I have SS braided lines installed. Braking is not a problem. It's just after the car stop the pedal will go down. Group buy on the master cylinder? Also going to order Kite rear diffuser while I'm at it.

If there is a group buy on the master cylinder, I am definitely in. Keep in touch bro.

I wonder is that why our RHD evaporator fail all the time? I have the evaporator replaced about 3years ago with OEM Honda parts and it is leaking now. My mechanie is telling me that this OEM Honda evaporators are keep failing.

Please note that LHD evaporator won't fit into RHD (my friend tried).

Last edited:
Are the evaporators the 2 small radiator looking components right in front of each wheel? With a fan behind them?

If so then yea you have to remove the front bumper to get to these items...

Late updates. Ac fixed last December and I have recently installed a new brake master cylinder. Car is fun to drive now but also in the shop for other fixes.

The LHD evaps fail too.

The cause appears to be the extreme bending, it seems the design/implementation can probably be simplified. A good radiator fabricator can either repair or redesign your existing evap.

The evaporator is within the dash. The refrigerant evaporates into gas taking heat with it...very low boiling point.

The condensers compress the refrigerant and causes the heat to be dissipated. These are within the front bumper area.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/ac1.htm

Back