Honda HSV-010 Site

http://world.honda.com/HSV-010_GT/

Anybody looked at this recently? Its all about comparing the old (beloved) NSX Super-GT car to the new HSV-010 platform, (note that the "V" stands for "Velocity") and how much better it is at cornering, downforce, etc. because its being developed as a race car.

So this new thing they are trying to foist on us is being developed as a street car with neat/heavy/burn your car down hybrid technology instead of a "how do win races?" influence.

I know the all wheel drive is great (I have an RDX and love it) and having the front electrics are potentially a huge help - BUT THE HSV-010 IS DONE AND COULD BE SOLD NOW. Hell, don't call it an NSX, (like they shouldn't) and sell it as the HSV and lets up the flipping game around here. Make 100 for the street at $500k each and they would sell.

That is the first car they've developed that could look better, drive better and win more races than a Ferrari - all in one package. So what does mother Honda do? Restrict it to an obscure racing league. Figures.

In short, the worldwide economic collapse froze certain projects that weren't absolutely essential to the ongoing profitability of the company. For example, the HSV and F1 programs. I found an SAE paper a while ago that discussed the HSV's V10 and it was a phenomenal piece of engineering. However, launching a high-end sports car from a company that is widely perceived as a manufacturer of value minded luxury cars in absolutely horrid economic times, would not have been a good fiscal decision.

I don't see, in the article you linked, any figures that quantitatively, or any opinions, that support that the HSV handled better than the previous NSX-GT. There's mention of design intent but nothing else. Did I miss something?

People with money buy what they like regardless of 'economic times' - have you seen Lambo and Ferrari sales figures the last few years? Honda for sure made a decision, but chose not to play.

You think they'd spend that much money developing a car from scratch that was worse than the NSX? And we will note that the new car was competitive and winning races in its first year, against the GT-Rs of the same 500 class - so they came out of the box with a solid platform. I'm saying they could, if they had the will, bring to market a car that has all the things the NSX didn't when it came out, and play in the super car game.

The main reason for developing the HSV for SuperGT racing was the rules changed the Mid rear engine chassis [nee NSX] were no longer allowed, thus Honda had to find a new chassis to race with. Then they had to bend the rules anyway, because Honda pulled the pin on the road car version at the last minute. Is the HSV a better chassis than the NSX platform? They won't go public anytime soon, but my guess is everything being equal no it isn't better than an NSX, just different, as the cars they race have so little in common with the road car I think it is a mute point anyway.

People with money buy what they like regardless of 'economic times' - have you seen Lambo and Ferrari sales figures the last few years? Honda for sure made a decision, but chose not to play.

The key point is the declining percentage of "people with money." The notion that there will always be wealthy people in recessionary periods is true, it's just that pool is small and less optimistic. Despite that point, global sales of the luxury car segment (of which Lambo and Fezza are a part of), were down 34.2% vs. 31% for the broader passenger car market (IHS Global Insight study) from 2008-2011.

You think they'd spend that much money developing a car from scratch that was worse than the NSX?

I don't know either way. I didn't see tangible data that supported the handling superiority of the HSV and asked if I missed something. Super GT regulations in 2009 necessitated that all participating cars run a front engine rear drive platform and a 3.4 V8. That is why they developed the HSV.

Back