Honda/Acura question

Have a small debate going and need some info....

Honda developed the NSX, that I do know.

What years was it sold as a Honda....and when did it switch over to an Acura?

In the US the car was always badged Acura.....I believe the rest of this fine world experiences it as it truly is....a Honda :biggrin:

The car was sold as Honda everywhere, except the US where the car was sold as Acura from the beginning. They did not switch or anything.

Danny said:
In the US the car was always badged Acura.....I believe the rest of this fine world experiences it as it truly is....a Honda :biggrin:

Damn! That Vette looks like an SUV parked next to your X. :)

image.php

Hugh - it's in my garage just to keep the X company so it doesn't get lonely:biggrin:

I bought it for my wife, she has loved vettes since she was a kid. Tried to get her to drive an NSX (for selfish reasons) so that I could have 2 in my garage....No luck yet, but I'm still holding out hope :rolleyes:

Danny

Hugh said:
Damn! That Vette looks like an SUV parked next to your X. :)

image.php

:biggrin: Yeah I'm re-badging mine a Honda. My buddy thinks it's gay to re-badge your car, he said "that's something ricer kids do". I think I'm just being a purist. I want to drive the car as it was meant to be. :biggrin:

PhiAlpha44 said:
:biggrin: Yeah I'm re-badging mine a Honda. My buddy thinks it's gay to re-badge your car, he said "that's something ricer kids do". I think I'm just being a purist. I want to drive the car as it was meant to be. :biggrin:

Tell your friend he's gay because the NSX already has Honda markings all over it. For example, the VIN plate on the door sill and manifold plate both clearly say Honda, as well as the DOT stamps on the glass. :smile:

Well IMO when i see a big H on any nsx it feels and looks just right, gives the whole heritage name when deserves to be ... ok there's tons of Civics and crappy accords (base) everywhere ... but Honda has good reputation in the entire planet .. is not been kid but been confident, so the NSX is a Honda so what ....ignorants will never understand, aficionados will know ..

My Nsx will be a Honda NSX =)
OScar

I LIKE when Honda/Acura (actually VTEC) drivers

oscarhmoyano said:
Well IMO when i see a big H on any nsx it feels and looks just right, gives the whole heritage name when deserves to be ... ok there's tons of Civics and crappy accords (base) everywhere ... but Honda has good reputation in the entire planet .. is not been kid but been confident, so the NSX is a Honda so what ....ignorants will never understand, aficionados will know ..

My Nsx will be a Honda NSX =)
OScar
Acknowledge the NSX

Hugh said:
It was sold in North America as an Acura (US and Canada).
In addition to the U.S. and Canada, it was also sold as an Acura in Hong Kong.

Trivia: The NSX was the first car sold by Acura with the current Acura logo.

Thanks guys, that was helpful and answered my question....so all the street NSX's in US are badged Acura, and the JTC racers from overseas were all Hondas..........

Psychobiology said:
I probably won't rebadge my NSX a Honda, but I really wish the NSX was sold to North America as a Honda.

The GTR will be sold as a Nissan. And that means that when you need service, its going in the same bay next to an '89 Sentra, serviced by perhaps the same mechanic, you sit in the same waiting room as with the stained carpet and pot of bad coffee, and deal with the same cashiers and salespeeps that are used to selling Altimas.

To have that kind of service when you just blew close to 100K on a car, is not good... I sure that I am not the only one that sees this as a problem. It was good for Honda to sell the NSX as an Acura here, and that car still is in a different class than any other Acura... let alone Honda.

When you spend more money, you should expect better service. The salespeople at the Bentley dealer, are not the same as the ones at your local Kia dealer. They weren't selling furniture last week, and their business card does not have someone else's name crossed out with a pen and theirs written in.

When you sell a 100K car alongside a 12K car, its a problem. Take a trip to your local Maybach or Bentley dealer, and you will see the problem of selling an NSX through Honda dealers.

TURBO2GO said:
The GTR will be sold as a Nissan. And that means that when you need service, its going in the same bay next to an '89 Sentra, serviced by perhaps the same mechanic, you sit in the same waiting room as with the stained carpet and pot of bad coffee, and deal with the same cashiers and salespeeps that are used to selling Altimas.

To have that kind of service when you just blew close to 100K on a car, is not good... I sure that I am not the only one that sees this as a problem.
People said the same thing about the NSX being sold alongside Integras.

TURBO2GO said:

To have that kind of service when you just blew close to 100K on a car, is not good... I sure that I am not the only one that sees this as a problem. It was good for Honda to sell the NSX as an Acura here, and that car still is in a different class than any other Acura... let alone Honda.

When you spend more money, you should expect better service. The salespeople at the Bentley dealer, are not the same as the ones at your local Kia dealer. They weren't selling furniture last week, and their business card does not have someone else's name crossed out with a pen and theirs written in.

When you sell a 100K car alongside a 12K car, its a problem. Take a trip to your local Maybach or Bentley dealer, and you will see the problem of selling an NSX through Honda dealers.

haha damn right.

btw, i've seen quite a few people in japan rebadging their hondas with the A.....

and, also.... i remember somebody once saying, in response to the question why we have acuras and not hondas, that because people in japan don't care about that stuff.....

is that why they just brought the lexus brand to japan..... and why the acura brand is coming out in 08? :tongue:

nsxtasy said:
People said the same thing about the NSX being sold alongside Integras.

Yeah... and they were right!

I mean really its a different thing when you pickup a used 91 NSX for 28K....But when someone is looking at and comparing NSX's new with other cars at 90 to say 110K, you care about service. Now I don't think Acura is too bad, it passes... barely. But selling an NSX through Honda is pushing it.

The automotive field is competitive. When you expect someone to pay 100K or more for a car, if you don't provide that "extra", someone else will. And that can make a difference in sales.

You know Acura is dropping the Integra, right? they are trying to move up. Not many people now consider Acura as being in the same league as Lexus and perhaps Infniti.

I think the worst of all, is having to go to your local Ford dealer to service your GT. :tongue:

PhiAlpha44 said:

haha regardless of your reasoning, do what you want regardless of what people might think, if you want to change your nsx into a convertible then do it, lol anyone has the right to hate, but i wouldn't let them tell you what not to do =)

i wouldnt call it re-badging, i'd call it un-re-badging since its a honda

question is..... will you guys be rebadging your cars when japan starts badging them acura too?

Whatever, it's not like you're putting a ford badge on it.... or a GT-R emblem from autozone. don't do that and we won't have words.:wink:

Synthesis said:
question is..... will you guys be rebadging your cars when japan starts badging them acura too?

On a tangent... Toyota are not racing under the Lexus badge... So Honda will probably not race under the Acura badge...

So if they are not racing under the badge... How much credibility does the badge have?

Toyota get recognition because everyone knows that a Lexus is a luxurious Toyota! But did everyone know that an Acura was a luxurious Honda?

nsxtasy said:
Trivia: The NSX was the first car sold by Acura with the current Acura logo.

Actually, there was a slight revision to the Acura Logo in 2000/2001.

"The new Acura logo maintains its signature caliper design but features a more circular outer ring and sharper three-dimensional appearance."

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/press/date/20000217/press008155.html

It's basically the same, so you are still right. :)

AU_NSX said:
On a tangent... Toyota are not racing under the Lexus badge... So Honda will probably not race under the Acura badge...

So if they are not racing under the badge... How much credibility does the badge have?

During Honda's F1 days in the early 90s, the cars that had Honda power would race with Acura stampings in the North American races (where the Acura brand exists). Here's a pic of Ayrton Senna's helmet with an Acura logo on it.

sennaacura_2a.jpg

Honda also supports Realtime Racing which campaigns Acura RSXs & TSXs in the SPEED Touring Car Championship. This team also won championships in an NSX for many years. (Pre-production NSX too!) Honda has also entered Acura TL's, etc in endurance races.

And don't forget, Honda will race in the American Le Mans Series under the Acura banner in 2007.

http://www.americanlemans.com/news/Article.aspx?ID=1913

The Acura banner is used in racing... but the ALMS challenge will be it's first full factory motorsports program.

--Conrad
(ok back to lurking)

AU_NSX said:

Honda is in the midst of doing a complete revamping of the corporate structure and image. In the near future all factory race efforts will be done under the Acura name. In fact they already have an ALMS car ready for the new season.
This has been publicly anounced by Acura and you can find the press releases at acuranews.com.

Re-badging the car is a personal choice. The 1st Gen NSX is without a doubt a Honda product and deserves Honda badges. The next one will be sold worldwide as an Acura not just in North America. In fact Acura is now selling cars in the JDM as well as China. They are being very aggressive in promoting the Acura name now, something that was a bit lax in the past.

Honda, Acura? what? acura?

When 2000 came and the S2000 was coming to the market honda didn't know if they should bring as Acura S2000 or Honda S2000 but since it was a Honda 50' aniversary they did it but in the very last minute, even knowing that some people could think that it was a "overprized civic" ... it may be the fact that Honda invested HEAVILY during the 70-80's in the fact of been economic and reliable???
What i don't get is why the US (canada) Market reacts that way, is like, hey this is a Honda ok? but now is an Acura so now is special ... for me that's plain at least funny .. i mean come on ... i remember shopping for a car while ago and of course was a honda/acura search and after while i realized that i could find a accord V6 coupe and had more power and almost the same or even the same quality (even the cheap leather is the same) as those 4cyl CL's for less the price ... is just plain market strategic amazing how it works ... while the TSX is a Accord in europe or here is a ACURA TSX s like ... "wow" i have a Acura .... and i still think that preludes where much better than integras (civics)
Is just what you want to believe, for kids growing watching Senna, Mansell, Prost, Piquet kicking ASS in those Honda powered F1 cars is a PLEASURE to have a Honda (to the point of un-re-rebadge an NSX) :biggrin:

OScar

Back