Home mortgage refi question

Talked to my rep at Merrill Lynch and he told me about a ARM option for refinancing my mortgage. The good points are that the current rate is 3.625 and cuts my payment by almost 2/3rds. I'm thinking that putting the savings into the principal amount would cut the principal balance a great deal.

Basically, the rate would either change monthly or every 6 months depending on my choice. The rate would lock in 5 days before closing and be capped at 3.625 + 5%. Actually the LIBOR rate is 1.8% plus Merrill's 1.8% charge. It's interest only for the first 10 years and then becomes a 15 year mortgage thereafter. My rep gave me mlcc.ml.com as a reference.

This is my first refi and was kinda interested to hear more knowledgable people let me know what they think of the whole deal.

FYI- we did a average amount of the highest LIBOR rates for the past 13 years. . .5.652%

I don't know about LIBORs, but I don't think the prime rate is going up anytime soon. I would do the math with your best guesses/assumptions, including the cost of the refi, then see how long it could take to break even.

Another option that I used was to obtain a no-cost equity line from my credit union to pay off my primary mortgage. The equity line had a promo rate 2% lower than my conventional mortgage, and it allowed me to get rid of the PMI as well. I was also able to pay off the loan before the promo rate expired, so it made it a no brainer for me.

as a loan officer, i strong suggest you really think hard about adjustable rate. yes it is low and can cut your payment by 2/3. however, do consider your future income...if you expect to increase sinificantly to support ARM. i like to be saft and strongly suggest this to all of my clients especially in today's market. pricing have been fluctuating alittle bit for the past week. but you can still be able to get fix and lower your payment without compromising your stress level if the markets goes up. oh one think that alot of people did not know....you payment can still go up even when the market goes down
smile.gif
--check with your representative.

hey yellowpad, nice to know there's another mortgage fi guy out there. we should talk shop sometime soon.

i'd echo what he said. additional thoughts;
based on what you indicated, id assume you are upperlevel credit wise. so you are in a position to capitalize on the best rates possible at this point in time. in other words, you have all the options available.

your choices should be based on your future plans. If you know that youre going to be getting out of this house pretty soon, then an arm would be a no-brainer. I would, however, recommend a two year arm, not a six month arm. the rates arent significantly different and the rate would not be subject to potential fluctuation for two years. many arms are set up to automatically adjust up in the fine print, so you wind up paying more after only six months.

if you are uncertain about moving, then definately go with the fixed. a thirty year fixed would make sense if you have the discipline to set up an amortization schedule on fifteen years and stick to it. the reason is, the excess payment represented by the fifteen year amortization automatically goes towards the principal. end result is that your 30 yr note which you voluntarily pay at a 15year payment schedule gets paid off in less than fifteen years. so it is actually a better deal than taking a fifteen year note. even though the thirty year note is higher interest, you actually wind up paying less interest over the duration than with a fifteen year note due to the above reason. but you HAVE to have the discipline to stick with your voluntary fifteen year payment schedule on that thirty year note. i have figured this in the past and i recall that you actually wind up paying off your note in 12-13 years if you follow this plan.

if you lack the discipine(like me), then take the fifteen year note. you'll find that the payments compared to a thirty year are not all that much higher and you'll save tens of thousands of dollars over the long haul.

keep in mind that interests rates are as low as you can expect to see. dont expect greenspan to effect rates other than towards an increase. at this point he can have a negative effect on rates, not positive.

if you are not expecting to stay in your home, then you should look at buying now. you will probably never see lower rates than today. That is a major reason why the purchase market is so active right now.

summary, if you arent in the house you want to be in for the next 10 years, look at buying it now if you can afford it. if you cant afford it, then weigh out the likliehood of selling your home in the next five years. If it is extremely likely, then the arm might make sense. if it is suspect, then go with either the fifteen or thirty.

hope this helps. I'm in the secondary mortgage market so i've seen a lot of different scenarios play out over time. short term arms are a gamble where youre betting you wont be living in your current house very long, or that the interest rate in the future will go down. personally, i wouldnt bet on the rate, at this point thatd be like taking a hit on 19. only you can answer the house question. good luck. feel free to private me if you have additional questions. one last thought, make sure you dont have a prepay if you are looking at an arm.

wellll put there ...hucster. secondary market rules!
smile.gif
used to be one myself. anywhooo pony boy..only you can make that decision. everything above is just something for you to keep in mind--ultimately, you are the decision maker.

Back