Hit & Run on my NSX today - i'm crying - need some advice (paint accident dent)

Hit & Run on my NSX today - PIC OF DAMAGE INSIDE (paint accident dent)

I have only owned my car for 1-2 months. A 91 NSX that has all original paint with the exception of the front bumer.

I take extreamly good care of my car and park it away from any other car. But tonight while at Circuit City I believe someone hit my car and left damaged to the right rear quarter above the tire. Tiny bits of paint are gone and a small dent..... basicly the rear right quarter needs repaired.

I'm so so so angry... i have never even been into an accident.... i ask myself why on my NSX :-( wah wah :(

Basiclly the car is a 91 and the paint is almost 13 years old... it will be noticable if I just paint the rear right quarter. My question is, should I repaint just the quarter or repaint the whole car? it does however have 80k and rock chips on mirrors, hood, fenders.

Last edited:
Very sorry for you loss! Especially when you take the efforts you have to sustain damage is bullshi_! With a well maintained car and an NSX experienced body and paint shop I'm sure the repair can be done to you satisfaction.

Re: Hit & Run on my NSX today - i'm crying - need some advice (paint accident dent)

huyduchoang said:
I have only owned my car for 1-2 months. A 91 NSX that has all original paint with the exception of the front bumer.

I take extreamly good care of my car and park it away from any other car. But tonight while at Circuit City I believe someone hit my car and left damaged to the right rear quarter above the tire. Tiny bits of paint are gone and a small dent..... basicly the rear right quarter needs repaired.

I'm so so so angry... i have never even been into an accident.... i ask myself why on my NSX :-( wah wah :(

Basiclly the car is a 91 and the paint is almost 13 years old... it will be noticable if I just paint the rear right quarter. My question is, should I repaint just the quarter or repaint the whole car? it does however have 80k and rock chips on mirrors, hood, fenders.

Of coarse if you paint the whole car there wont be any worries about paint match but what ever you decide to do a good paint shop will blend the paint and try for the best match possible.During the holiday shopping season the parking lots are crowded and i will never put my Nsx in harms way unless i have to...thats why its good to have a beater car.

Paint only what is damaged...I would rather have the original paint on as many panels as possible!

The reason why I am considering painting the whole car is because the hood and both fenders have many paint chips in it. Looks like the previous owner loved driving behind trucks... the car does have over 80k on it.

Not sure what I want to do it... i'm taking the NSX to the body shop tomorrow for some more opinions.

is $2500 enough for a whole repaint < if i decide to do the whole car.

huyduchoang said:
...is $2500 enough for a whole repaint < if i decide to do the whole car.

Only enough for a bad paint job. To get one worthy of an NSX will take several thousand more than that. To do it right that is.

Sorry to hear about what happened to your baby!

How well the body shop can blend in the new paint depends on the condition of the original paint condition.

If you plan to keep the car long term, and want it to look good, and if budget permits, then you may consider repainting the entire car.

If you want to repaint the whole car and worry about resell value or people questioning whether the car was in an accident, then take pictures of the car before the paint job to show that the repaint's not caused by an accident.

If you just want to repaint the damaged panel, I guess a good body shop can tell you whether they can make it work or not.

Good luck!

I agree with most. Just paint the part that was damaged. If it does come out not to your liking, then you can always have them repaint the rest of the panels.

I have had way too many car touch ups in my family.

I would leave it alone! Souds extreme...

Here is why:

It is an art finding a good palce.
Even if they can match it... it will fade at a different rate than the oem paint... so it will match for a year or so... but then suddenly... nothing matches.

Is it really bad damage?

I have scratches in the same place it sounds like...

I just left it...

It makes dirinvg the car easier too... as it is no longer perfect. I know it needs new paint so I do not flip out whenI get a rock chip.

I smile as I know the scratches are better to deal with than panels of various colors so it looks like I was in some kind of bad wreck.

I had a red legend... and had to ahve a few panels done over the years... as people hit my car. each panel was a different color Ranging from red to pink ;)

Lee

re

that sucks.. sorry to hear about it.. Do what I do, drive the car to drive the car.. don't run errands with it.. the only time I get out is to get gas :)

let us know what you decide and how it turned out..

peter

Lee, your complete repaint thought I think is correct, especially if you take the steps CDub suggests.

If you plan to keep the car for a long time (meaning over 5 years), you might consider repainting the whole car if the paint job really bothers you.

On the other hand, if you plan on letting the car go in a few years, why invest 5-8 grand in a paintjob that wouldn't help in your resale value?

In any case its your call. Good luck with your paint and sorry about the misfortune.

Re: Hit & Run on my NSX today - i'm crying - need some advice (paint accident dent)

huyduchoang said:

You reminded me of what happen to me half a year ago. A small pick up truck coming from the opposite lane was driving into my lane (I guess he was sleepy) and to avoid him I drove the car into the grass and horn my car. The driver noticed it too late and scratch my front bumper and the right fender. He stopped and apologized to me and ask not to call his boss. I ask him whether he could afford to fix my car and he couldn't. I told him before I beat him to death better call his boss. Anyhow the car is okay now and I only needed to paint the whole right fender and the front bumper. Luckily there was no dent only scratches.;)

Very sorry to hear that. There is such a lack of respect for other people's property in the world today.

If you do repaint the whole car, consider wrapping it in a clear bra.

A good body shop will be able to "blend" the new paint into the old and you should not be able to tell the difference.

td2k_nsx said:
I have had way too many car touch ups in my family.

I would leave it alone! Souds extreme...

Here is why:

It is an art finding a good palce.
Even if they can match it... it will fade at a different rate than the oem paint... so it will match for a year or so... but then suddenly... nothing matches.

Is it really bad damage?

I have scratches in the same place it sounds like...

I just left it...

It makes dirinvg the car easier too... as it is no longer perfect. I know it needs new paint so I do not flip out whenI get a rock chip.

I smile as I know the scratches are better to deal with than panels of various colors so it looks like I was in some kind of bad wreck.

I had a red legend... and had to ahve a few panels done over the years... as people hit my car. each panel was a different color Ranging from red to pink ;)

Lee

You had a really bad place using really low quality paint do your work.. I have had many cars painted and it never fades differently over the years and even exposed to the continuos sun of Florida ( which is all year long)
Colors ranging from black, red, white, silver, etc..

Never a problem..

To the guy with the 91 NSX, just get the panel painted and you'll be fine since it seems that the car is stored indoors and doesn't sit outside.. Not sure where you live but go to the local reputable (official) Ferrari/Lambo etc dealer and talk to someone in service and find out where they send there cars to get body work.. You can probably imagine that they do pretty good work and should consider taking it there.. I did that here in Miami and the place I go to always has Lambos, Ferraris, Lotus, Aston Martin, Audi, Mercedes, NSXs, Volvos, Porsche parked inside getting worked on..

unlike other cars this entire pass rear quarter panel is removable! what are my chances I can find a black used quarter panel? hmm... i'm going to talk to my body guy now.

thanks for all your advice... i really appreciate it. my car looks so ugly with the dent and I don't feel right driving it anymore.

i'm not sure how you would feel... but i feel like an idiot driving with a dent.

Find the best, highest-quality, most-NSX-experienced body shop you can. If you need it, customer service at Acura HQ can refer you to a shop in your area that has been trained in NSX repair. Then see what their advice is.

I have decided to paint only the panel or replace the panel.

I got an estimate at the acura dealer... its under $1000 to fix the panel and paint.

huyduchoang said:
but there is a high chance it will be better then to repair and repaint.
No, there isn't. Not according to pbassjo's post, which is obviously why he mentioned it.

Remember, pbassjo is the owner of a very high-end, top-quality body shop just north of New York City (which is highly recommended for NSX work). When it comes to body work, he's the most knowledgeable and experienced resource on this board.

oh... now i'm not sure what I should do. So many opinions.

I don't live in NYC so going to that body shop isn't my top priority.

1. Get Acura Dealer to repair the damage, estimated at $1100
2. Purchased a black fender with stock paint with 50-70k miles to hopefully match mine with 80k. $500-$900
3. Put a big sticker over the dent.

thanks for everyones suggestions. much appreciated.

huyduchoang said:
oh... now i'm not sure what I should do. So many opinions.
I would choose number 1, IF the Acura dealer has a body shop with a lot of NSX experience. Otherwise, I would find a body shop that does.

Just my O...

Back